Autopsy Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

All I said on this thread was did the Hawks only turn up for one quarter and I've been attacked with ad-hominems.

That's all I've said. If you not going to respond to the question why quote me?

So the Hawks only turned up in the last quarter when the game was over. Oh, those Hawks, should put in a four quarter effort rather than turn up to play when the game is over in the last quarter.

It certainly is the game style, and our players ability to move the ball fluently, but I don't think it is innately conservative style.

A large problem to me seems to be missing the complete awareness of where everyone will/should be, so those crucial tenths of a second where we try to make the right decision are amplified. It's really a game of centimetres, and we're losing most of them with indecision and inaccuracy.

The aim is obviously that seamless transition we saw in the secind quarter against Essendon, but we've only seen it for, what? One quarter? A quarter and a bit?

Most of the time, we see the following...Players running to the same spot; a guy running past who calls for the ball, and gets it, running full tilt into an oppsition player; balls being fed into congestion rather than away from it; stop and prop at the half-back-line (and then getting called to play on after deviating one step off the line)...all this meaning the half forwards can't time any leads with any confidence at all...the result being scrambled entry into the F50 when it happens.

It's ugly at the moment. I can't say with any confidence that it will 'click' any time soon.
For lack of a better word...
Dumb footballers make for dumb football

The Hawks problems are pretty obvious to me - their forward line is completely ineffective.

The Hawks defend well. I thought they were really good at the centre clearances yesterday - I have not seen the stats but the Hawks seemed to at least break even if not win. They are competitive all over the ground - except forward.

The problem is we cannot score. We are not good enough to move the ball forward cleanly consistently and when we do our forwards either do not present or are easily beaten.

The Hawks had 8 players out there yesterday who have not played 50 games. 6 of those players have not played 25 games yet. Worpel has only played 53 games. Almost all of them played as forwards at some point - Koschitzke, Moore, Nash, Morrison, Hanrahan, Cousins, and Worpel.

Only CJ and Scrimshaw are the inexperienced players who play back and they are actually good in any case.

Hawthorns forward line is way too inexperienced and simply not good enough. Hopefully some of those players can be but the fact is they are not ready yet.

I will say one thing about the Hawks forwards - at least one of the forwards needs to lead towards the ball carrier. Kicking it on top of 20 game players heads is not really woking.

All I said on this thread was did the Hawks only turn up for one quarter and I've been attacked with ad-hominems.

That's all I've said. If you not going to respond to the question why quote me?

So the Hawks only turned up in the last quarter when the game was over. Oh, those Hawks, should put in a four quarter effort rather than turn up to play when the game is over in the last quarter.

I didn't quote you, you quoted me multiple times having a go ("irrelevant post," "you offer nothing," etc).

You cry about being bullied, when it's you that's been the aggressor.

8 of the marks were contested pack marks. Was a sight to behold. As good a game as you'll see from a ruckman. BB tried his best, but he's just not big enough. And this guy is in the absolute prime of his career.
He is doing it all around the ground then floats forward and gets a chop out from Jackson .
Its an impressive combo to say the least .

I watched the entire Box Hill game yersterday and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Finn looks like a handy VFL player, no less no more.

I think we all hope for him to be a JK jnr clone but at this stage he is miles off it.

You watch one whole game - a round 1 flogging in which Finn was apparently playing a tagging role - and then write him off?

That’s exactly what the team needs right now, a freakin tagger.
Let’s just belt any creativity and flair a young player may have so we can be totally negative and lose by 30 points each week instead of 60.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
wouldn't have to tag if mids where accountable
The Hawks problems are pretty obvious to me - their forward line is completely ineffective.

The Hawks defend well. I thought they were really good at the centre clearances yesterday - I have not seen the stats but the Hawks seemed to at least break even if not win. They are competitive all over the ground - except forward.

The problem is we cannot score. We are not good enough to move the ball forward cleanly consistently and when we do our forwards either do not present or are easily beaten.

The Hawks had 8 players out there yesterday who have not played 50 games. 6 of those players have not played 25 games yet. Worpel has only played 53 games. Almost all of them played as forwards at some point - Koschitzke, Moore, Nash, Morrison, Hanrahan, Cousins, and Worpel.

Only CJ and Scrimshaw are the inexperienced players who play back and they are actually good in any case.

Hawthorns forward line is way too inexperienced and simply not good enough. Hopefully some of those players can be but the fact is they are not ready yet.

I will say one thing about the Hawks forwards - at least one of the forwards needs to lead towards the ball carrier. Kicking it on top of 20 game players heads is not really woking.
If only our forwards could also play in the middle and kick it to themselves deep in the forward line or into space.

Who wants to be a forward when delivery is either trash or non existent.

wouldn't have to tag if mids where accountable

If only our forwards could also play in the middle and kick it to themselves deep in the forward line or into space.

Gameplan is trash, we take eternity to get it inside 50. We end up kicking it high and long but we wait for the other teams defence to get set up. Might as well kick it high and long when the defence is scrambling and you have some space and 1 on 1s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of that poor delivery is the forwards not presenting though.

it infuriates me a times that we do not have someone leading the ball carrier. If everyone is standing 25m from goal wrestling defenders then the mids don't really have much choice do they?

it infuriates me a times that we do not have someone leading the ball carrier. If everyone is standing 25m from goal wrestling defenders then the mids don't really have much choice do they?
They are leading, but the delivery is so slow that the 50/50 opportunity is gone.

How many of our mids can consistently spear a 30-40m pass to a lead?

Wingard maybe but disposal is hit and miss, worpel occasioningly but is not even in JOM’s tool kit.

If your mids can’t hit a target it is pretty hardfor forwards to be confident leading as they’re likely just running out of position. And if ball moves slowly all the space to lead is taken up anyway.

How many of our mids can consistently spear a 30-40m pass to a lead?

Wingard maybe but disposal is hit and miss, worpel occasioningly but is not even in JOM’s tool kit.

If your mids can’t hit a target it is pretty hardfor forwards to be confident leading as they’re likely just running out of position. And if ball moves slowly all the space to lead is taken up anyway.
Our 2 "A grade" mids disposal is awful. Their ability to butcher 1 metre handballs and put team mates under immediate pressure is embarrassing.

I didn't quote you, you quoted me multiple times having a go ("irrelevant post," "you offer nothing," etc).

You cry about being bullied, when it's you that's been the aggressor.
You really are working hard to pollute this thread. Unsure why, don’t care. Instead of wasting everyone’s time, perhaps your mum would love to listen to your entitled bleating?

Not even leading at the ball carrier.
There's 3 types of leads.
Leading into space, leading at the carrier, and double back leads.
Currently we do none of the 3. It's long bomb to noone, hope it hits the deck, and then get a shot from small.

Then you have to have a commanding mid who can get a forward leading to where they want to send the ball.
Hanrahans first goal on the weekend was a perfect example of that, and what we need more of.
worpel had the ball on the wing, and instead of bombing it down the line, he sent it to space 45m out. It also needs smart forwards who can read the play (something we severely lack)

All game Melbourne seemed to have extra numbers going through the centre corridor while we were generally forced out to the wings. Generally they had their spare in the middle while we pushed our behind the ball. Eventually they were able to use that extra in the middle to cause problems

Melbourne's average age - 25.496
Hawthorn's average age - 26.087

Players 22>
Melbourne - 5
Hawthorn - 3

Players 25>
Melbourne - 7
Hawthorn - 10

Players 26>
Melbourne - 14
Hawthorn - 12

Players 30<
Melbourne - 3
Hawthorn - 3
Probably best not to use average as a measure unless you know the data is normally distributed. It isn’t in this case. But honestly this is a shallow comparison already made by another poster and adds nothing.

Probably best not to use average as a measure unless you know the data is normally distributed. It isn’t in this case. But honestly this is a shallow comparison already made by another poster and adds nothing.

More fool me for trusting Footywire.

That wasn't supposed to be some in-depth analysis, just base facts. I didn't see anyone else post a comparison either. Essentially it is a make of it what you will post.

Also, don't bully me Brishawk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back