Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

There's little better in footy than Ben Cunnington in beast mode. And he was in beast mode yesterday.

was playing like a man possessed. He had 20 touches in the first half, which included six clearances and even one fend-off on his own teammate. Cunnington, who successfully challenged a suspension to play this week, ended up with 29 touches.

He might not be the most fashionable player but there are few, if any, who can cannon into a stoppage like he can, put out the heat he invited, and then get the ball to a teammate. A highlight in a sometimes dour game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had even average pace, he’d go down as close to our best ever midfielder.

Agree. An extra 10% of speed and he'd be amongst the best to have pulled on a boot in the league. As is stands he'll retire as the best of his generation at this club IMO.

Speaking of beastmode

Amazing. I've watched a lot of footy and seen a thousand contests. But I don't think I've ever seen footage of someone who is actively scared of contact with someone else on a football field. Most AFL players are used to being the biggest baddest fish in the pond, and I think it's very rare to see actual fear distilled into one contest. That is just Atkins recognising who Cunnington is and getting scared of it and pulling out of the contest. Incredible

The very essence of "* around and find out". Atkins chose not to * around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back