Rules AFL to issue Pies ‘please explain’ after Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Howe mid-game phone usage caught on camera

Remove this Banner Ad

"Hi Dad, yes I'm ok, just a sore nose and a bit of light concussion. Bucks said they'll stick Jordan Roughead on the ball for the rest of the game to cover me, so he might rack up a few more touches than he otherwise would at full back. Oh is there a market for how many touches Roughead gets in the 3rd quarter?"

Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.
Yeh come on, Occam's razor here. Either they both decided what an opportunistic time to message mates and jump on sportsbet and have a loose punt that would be easily tied to them and destroy their careers, or they both happened to be injured and wanted to contact friends/family or just check their phones cause their day is done.

I know the extremely unlikely possibilities, but everyone knows that wouldn't have occurred.

An innocent mistake that probably deserves a small financial penalty to make an example, but nothing to hang them about. Probably just a slip up in a time of worry.

Yeh come on, Occam's razor here. Either they both decided what an opportunistic time to message mates and jump on sportsbet and have a loose punt that would be easily tied to them and destroy their careers, or they both happened to be injured and wanted to contact friends/family or just check their phones cause their day is done.

I know the extremely unlikely possibilities, but everyone knows that wouldn't have occurred.

An innocent mistake that probably deserves a small financial penalty to make an example, but nothing to hang them about. Probably just a slip up in a time of worry.
I fully agree it's not a hanging offence, as I said earlier in the thread, and that their intentions were almost definitely innocent. Not saying they did, but they could accidently pass on privileged information without realising how someone could use that info - after all De Goey was concussed and maybe not thinking straight, right?

Just showing that the rule exists for a good reason (even if particularly unlikely), and there's no denying that they broke it.

I fully agree it's not a hanging offence, as I said earlier in the thread, and that their intentions were almost definitely innocent. Not saying they did, but they could accidently pass on privileged information without realising how someone could use that info - after all De Goey was concussed and maybe not thinking straight, right?

Just showing that the rule exists for a good reason (even if particularly unlikely), and there's no denying that they broke it.
Yes true. And fair enough it probably needs something like a slap on the wrist small financial I guess just to show they are doing something about it. I wouldn't be worried they did anything untoward though.

Whether or not you agree with the rule, I don't quite understand how one of the biggest clubs in the country can continually fail to follow the rules. Happens every season to them. Just basic stuff so it shows that regardless of how much money they have the club is very poorly run.

this! There’s $30k worth of phones sitting there unattended and open to anyone there, how about just poor security. I was surprised they werent taken by an afl official.

Just check their phones and if they called Mum or Dad it’s ok... wtf?

Dad then calls Macca and tells him both Howe and De Goey are confirmed out the rest of the game. Macca then posts it to a few mates. One of those guys then passes it on to his private gambling chat group. Happens in minutes. Sure the gambling companies don’t want it, but it also rips off all the punters who don’t have that inside info.

De Goey was subbed, Howe was iced up on NATIONAL TV.

If you needed Macca to tell you that, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah that's not how it works. I fully appreciate the AFL's stance in supposedly attempting to address problem gambling within the industry whilst regularly promoting sports betting companies is conflicted. However that doesn't mean that it can't set rules to prevent illegal gambling, even if it occurs through the same companies they promote (ie by players passing on privileged information for spot fixing).

Sports betting companies are legal, match fixing/insider information is not.

Yes but the players are going to be less attracted to it if it wasn't such a promoted, supported industry by the AFL. They are exposed to it as much as we are - and then the players get told oh but don't get sucked into it.

De Goey was subbed, Howe was iced up on NATIONAL TV.

If you needed Macca to tell you that, I don't know what to tell you.
I understand your point but it’s about what happens next time. Some kid goes down to the rooms 15 minutes into the first quarter and reaches for his phone straight away... tells Dad it’s not looking good. But the club get him on the boundary line doing run throughs anyway. The boundary rider doesn’t get any confirmation until after quarter time. Dad has relayed the injury to half a dozen people before then.

It’s just a simple rule that should be easy to follow.

Life in prison.

This is the era of the Karen, whining about everything soft utensil era after all.
There are rules and we've seen video evidence of them breaking them ffs.

No one's is seriously alleging they've done anything more than be stupid, nor that they should cop any significant penalty. They'll get a fine, probably suspended due to circumstances and them not doing anything illicit with the phones, and everyone will move on.

There are rules and we've seen video evidence of them breaking them ffs.

No one's is seriously alleging they've done anything more than be stupid, nor that they should cop any significant penalty. They'll get a fine, probably suspended due to circumstances and them not doing anything illicit with the phones, and everyone will move on.

exactly. really dont understand why its so hard for some to understand.

It's a amazingly stupid process failure by collingwood.

It's Collingwood who should be in trouble, not the two players. If the rule is that all players phones are locked away for the duration of the game, and instead they were just sitting there for any player to retrieve, Collingwood clearly weren't taking the rule seriously. Was this just a once off, or do they always leave the phones lying around so players can access them when they return to the rooms? If a player ducked down during a quarter for a toilet trip, could they access their phone? Have they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the betting incident involving Stephenson, it staggers belief that Collingwood players could come out and do something so stupid.

Looked insignificant at the time but it opens up the prospect of impropriety on their behalf.

As such the AFL needs to come out with a statement to make sure it never happens again.

Personally, the club and players need a clip for letting it happen, more so the club.

I'd be comfortable seeing the club and both players with suspended fines. Something like $50,000 and $10,000 over the next 12 months.

Surely the most appropriate punishment is a large suspended fine.

That way if it happens again, there is no excuse and they cop double whack

Personally I don't think the issue is that JDG and Howe grabbed their phones (surely it's natural to want to talk to someone near and dear).

The issue is how accessible and open the phones were.

Surely the most appropriate punishment is a large suspended fine.

That way if it happens again, there is no excuse and they cop double whack

Personally I don't think the issue is that JDG and Howe grabbed their phones (surely it's natural to want to talk to someone near and dear).

The issue is how accessible and open the phones were.

Yeah probably a large suspended fine for them - and it should be a big whacking fine for the club. Eddie isn't around to negotiate their penalties anymore.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back