Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope we're putting a heap of work into Akuei. With his leap he's got the makings of a really exciting and versatile tall, and of the type that we don't really have, nor have we had in recent times.

Harry is tall and agile but doesn't fly, Pittonet and Cas can crash the packs but don't get much elevation, Gov can jump but can't stay on the park, Charlie coming off his knee issues may be grounded.

It's basically TDK in the ruck and that's it.

If Akuei can come on in a few years time as a third tall forward who can sit on some heads and go into the ruck and actually win the taps, I reckon it would balance our forward line out nicely.

Or have I got him completely wrong and he's a defender...?
I think that he played up front in the last Northern Knights match and kicked a goal. He's a damned exciting talent from what I've read around social media and from the club.

Are these kids this years draft year or younger?
17-19 year olds from what I got from the article on the club website. I think that Mac Hogg, Tom Gleeson and Charlie McKay are all 19 year olds this year with Tom SOS and Dane Whitnall being 18... and I think that Darcy Hogg is around 17.

Ok... just watched this weeks episode of Tipping with the Kouta's Does anyone remember approximately how old Lukas is now. Because I found an article from back in June 2014 which puts his age at 3 years old. If that article was right, that would put him at around 10-11 years old now (which sounds about right because Jamie turned 18 on the 21st of Jan... and he is looking more and more like Kouta in body shape every year)... then Lukas is going to be a freaking monster because he looks like he's around 5' tall now.

Ok... just watched this weeks episode of Tipping with the Kouta's Does anyone remember approximately how old Lukas is now. Because I found an article from back in June 2014 which puts his age at 3 years old. If that article was right, that would put him at around 10-11 years old now (which sounds about right because Jamie turned 18 on the 21st of Jan... and he is looking more and more like Kouta in body shape every year)... then Lukas is going to be a freaking monster because he looks like he's around 5' tall now.
Yeah, but who does he support? ;)

20m SPRINT
Lachlan Rathjen (Gippsland) 2.88 seconds
Lachlan Green (Western) 2.88
Josh Sticca (Northern) 2.89
Tyler Norton (Murray) 2.91
Kobi George (Dandenong) 2.91
Josh Goater (Calder) 2.92
Cooper Smith (Bendigo) 2.93
Billy Cootee (Western) 2.94
Blake Howes (Sandringham) 2.94
Dominic Akuei (Northern) 2.95

Can anybody with a subscription gives us the talking points of this?

High-leaping youngster gets tongues wagging
The Northern Knights kicked off its NAB League campaign with a win over Western Jets with several young talents putting on impressive displays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Northern Knights kicked off its NAB League campaign with a win over Western Jets with several young talents putting on impressive displays.

The Northern Knights kicked off its season with a Good Friday win over Western Jets and may have discovered the next excitement machine.
In 30 degree heat at Craigieburn’s Highgate Reserve the Knights outlasted their NAB League rivals to claim a nine-point win, 8.13 (61) to 7.10 (52).

However, it was Dominic Akuei’s performance that had tongues wagging with his marking, athleticism and versatility an intriguing combination.

The 196cm Old Trinity youngster started at full-back and took several intercept marks before being moved into the ruck, showcasing his mobility and leap, finishing with 12 touches, 13 hitouts, three tackles and a goal.
“Dom continues to literally come forward in leaps and bounds, he played full-back and took some amazing marks,” Clarke said.

“We had to swing him into the ruck because Fletcher Parkinson dislocated his shoulder so he stepped in against an AFL-listed ruckman from Geelong (Paul Tsapotolis) and almost jumped clean over him.

“It shows he’s able to impact in multiple roles and his mobility will also allow him to play on the wing, at his height and physiology could become a really exciting prospect.
“He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”

“He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”

I posted it earlier in this thread, maybe a page or so back.

He seems an exciting prospect, albeit very raw.

Would love to see some vision of Akuei and McKay. The lack of R50s and I50s is puzzling though. I assume McKay is predominantly a handballing inside mid?
That was what I was expecting when I watched McKay last week, but I was surprised to see that he was more outside, tending to be the outlet option from stoppages & packs. The breakdown of his disposals yesterday was 11 kicks & 8 handballs.

I reckon a heat map would show he stays predominantly between the two 50 metre arcs.

I had a look at the replay of the Sandy Dragons v Dandenong Stingrays game, with a particular focus on Charlie McKay.

McKay seemed to play what I would describe as a high half back. On a few occasions he did get deep in defence, but as suggested in a previous post, he picked up most of his possessions in the area between the 2 50 metre arcs. This explains the minimal I50 & R50 stats.

The pleasing aspect of McKay's game was his use of the ball. He was precise both by hand & foot & his handballs, when under pressure, pretty well always found a teammate.

He's not quick & he doesn't break the lines, but he makes his disposals count & doesn't panic. Where he would fit into our side, I have no idea.

What happens in the unlikely event, this Akuie kid goes in the 1st round?

It might not be unlikely, but doesn’t that mean we miss out again?
I don't think he will be going anywhere near the first round.

His ruckwork is good (his vertical leap is quite impressive), but he is still a novice around the ground. His height (195/196cm) means he probably wouldn't be anything more than a back-up ruck at AFL level therefore he is more likely to be assessed on the basis of where he slots into an AFL team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back