The Chicken Little thread 2021 edition

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
No. We at best stagnated. Went from 6-5 to 7-10.
Last year was very disappointing. To some extent we can blame COVID, but it wasn’t a step forward.

And given that 18 was a write-off due to injuries, Bolton sabotaged 19 (which fortunately Teague was able to salvage), and then last year’s covid, we’re wasting time that we can’t afford. Improvement might not be linear, but it looks like we’re flatlining.
... okay.

I don't agree.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
No. We at best stagnated. Went from 6-5 to 7-10.
Last year was very disappointing. To some extent we can blame COVID, but it wasn’t a step forward.

And given that 18 was a write-off due to injuries, Bolton sabotaged 19 (which fortunately Teague was able to salvage), and then last year’s covid, we’re wasting time that we can’t afford. Improvement might not be linear, but it looks like we’re flatlining.

Bolton didn't sabotage 2019, he was stubborn in not playing more attacking footy, just as stubborn as Teague not wanting more defensive layers

Bolton was playing the kids, what you and everyone else have been screaming to be implemented for a while now

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
We've butchered the development of Paddy Dow. David Cuningham hasn't made any great inroads as a player. Will Setterfield struggled in the ******* VFL over the weekend. LOB should be a dominant wingman in the second tier competition given his pedigree. Charlie Curnow is alive. SPS is being wasted and not flourishing across half-back. For a player of his stature, McKay is ******* soft and doesn't believe in repeat efforts.

The only real positive thus far is Stocker banging the door down to play senior football.

Aside from Walsh and Weitering (who were diamond prospects and consensus number 1 picks), the improvement in our youth has rapidly stagnated.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
We've butchered the development of Paddy Dow. David Cuningham hasn't made any great inroads as a player. Will Setterfield struggled in the ******* VFL over the weekend. LOB should be a dominant wingman in the second tier competition given his pedigree. Charlie Curnow is alive. SPS is being wasted and not flourishing across half-back. For a player of his stature, McKay is ******* soft and doesn't believe in repeat efforts.

The only real positive thus far is Stocker banging the door down to play senior football.

Aside from Walsh and Weitering (who were diamond prospects and consensus number 1 picks), the improvement in our youth has rapidly stagnated.
Mckay also doesn’t have a footy IQ. Whoever is teaching our forward line needs to go. They don’t lead. Whoever is in charge of the midfield also has to go. There’s no defence at stoppages. Players are on their own and no one from
Our team has the confidence to run through and take Possession.

I don’t blame McKay when our game
Plan is to kick to contests and his strengths are in the air under pressure.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I get the picture that the media'd love for us - the fans - to undermine the club into change. They're hitting us, in a weekend in which St Kilda (a supposed prospect for top 4) got monstered by the Tigers by 86 points, Essendon got done by 57 points, and Hawthorn got done by 50 points by Melbourne. There were worse losses this round, and there were bigger stories; Collingwood 1-4, for example.

We are now famous for blinking, for acceding to media pressure. We'll move, just you watch us: we'll announce our expectations to the world at large, and if you put enough pressure on us we'll move. Don't worry about whatever we say, just keep the pressure on. Eventually, Carlton will play Essendon (in two weeks, for those counting) and if we ramp up the pressure enough and we lose, we could see the club fragment into constituent parts. And won't that be fun for the AFL establishment, the fans of other clubs, the media who need something to report!

I see our rebuild as a process, because that's what list management is. Good clubs manage to turn a poor draft hand into ones players, and can continue to renew a list going forward. Adelaide and WC don't really bottom out, because their development and talent ID is decent to very good; they don't have the advantages Sydney or Geelong do, but they more than get by. We only needed to rebuild because the entire club including the list was f’ed; we're now coming out of it, but with our reputation for undermining ourselves based on media pressure damn ******* straight they're aiming for us.

It's the narrative, not the reality. The reality is, we're in a vastly better situation than we've been in since 2012, on and off the field. We have further to travel, and we need to keep the process of turning over the list and actively managing it appropriately, and we need most desperately to not listen to the enclaves of whispers external to the club and the media reports smashing us because we're an easy target likely to react.

We need to show some organizational strength for once.
👏 👏 👏
It would be easy to assume that Teague’s dearth of emotion in almost every context is a manifestation of a considered response, something that we really need right now. Growth is not linear and we are certainly behind the eight ball but, it is not all doom and gloom.

I am hopeful that Teague and his team deliver some home truths about the non-negotiables of defensive effort and communication. The footage is damning and that should be enough to prick the pride of any professional athlete. It’s fine to holler into the wind about dropping Player A and Player B but, if there was a viable alternative they would be beating the door down with monster games in the lower levels.

A week is a long time in footy, let’s see the response.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
👏 👏 👏
It would be easy to assume that Teague’s dearth of emotion in almost every context is a manifestation of a considered response, something that we really need right now. Growth is not linear and we are certainly behind the eight ball but, it is not all doom and gloom.

I am hopeful that Teague and his team deliver some home truths about the non-negotiables of defensive effort and communication. The footage is damning and that should be enough to prick the pride of any professional athlete. It’s fine to holler into the wind about dropping Player A and Player B but, if there was a viable alternative they would be beating the door down with monster games in the lower levels.

A week is a long time in footy, let’s see the response.

My question would be, who is delivering the home truths to Teague?

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

The “we’ve butchered” comment seems universal but I can’t cop it. If these players want it, they go and get it done. Athletes in all sports who transcend the expectations ensure they are doing what it takes to excel. Petracca is a classic example, he stagnated after high expectations and just worked his arse off and became elite. I’m sure Melbourne provided the platform for that but, he is the one getting the plaudits. These are highly paid professional athletes, take responsibility for your own development at some point.

The 66 game or should I say, 6 year rebuild is finished. We now need a reset........20 years and counting but all is good according to some.
sb, who are these mythical posters who are saying all is good? there isn't a single user on this site that suggests that - not even saopy was that naive.....

Well I’m gonna beat my (posso) drum again and say for the umpteenth time this year that this bloke should be, MUST BE, Captain next year...

How well is Walsh doing? According to Carlton Football Club he's already been awarded votes for our Round 7 game. :tearsofjoy:

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Brutal but spot on Mr_Plow

Seems to me our draftees don’t develop at anywhere near the rate they should.

A lot of people hate Toby Greene but look at GWS while he’s been Captain.

We need more nasty f***ers who really don’t give a s**t about what people think but do what the team requires to win each week.

Me thinks we have too many nice guys on the list.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Well I’m gonna beat my (posso) drum again and say for the umpteenth time this year that this bloke should be, MUST BE, Captain next year...

I don't get the obsession with taking our best performing player and shoving them into the high pressure environment of club captain at an early age.
Murphy went downhill after getting the captaincy. Might have been coincidence.
Cripps very quickly turned into our best player at an early age. Everyone (I know it wasn't literally everyone, so no need to reply with 'I didn't') wanted him as captain ASAP. I guess you could say that he and Doc have both underperformed since taking the role.
People wanted Weiters as captain very quickly. Now Walsh after 2 seasons and 40 odd games.
What's the obsession with throwing our best young players to the wolves and ruining them?
Walsh might be a great captain of the club. Doesn't have to be now.
I'd actually like to see Curnow as captain for a few years and just let the guys like Cripps, Doc, Weiters, Walsh just do their thing leading by performance.
It's like we're desperate for a young gun saviour to lead us to the promised land. Meanwhile, we're still reading the instructions to the GPS and haven't even got the co-ordinates keyed in.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

We need more nasty f***ers who really don’t give a sh*t about what people think but do what the team requires to win each week.

And a coach that wants to cuddle them and be their mates not the way to be a successful you need to have a bit of ruthless campaigner in you to be a premiership coach and Teague wants to start now or will be another coach gone.

We need more nasty f***ers who really don’t give a sh*t about what people think
but do what the team requires to win each week.

might wanna start with our supporters..........

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
might wanna start with our supporters..........

Not sure what your point is Thy but we have a lot of high draft picks treading water right now.

Think we need the PLA to fire some surplus rockets up some navy clad arses before they end up like Troy Menzel.

Not sure what your point is Thy but we have a lot of high draft picks treading water right now.

Think we need the PLA to fire some surplus rockets up some navy clad arses before they end up like Troy Menzel.
talking about recruiting a whole new set of supporters who don't give a s**t about what the media hacks people think.........

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
talking about recruiting a whole new set of supporters who don't give a sh*t about what the media hacks people think.........

Media are like bullies always looking for a soft target.

Eg. Were always too scared to take on Malthouse et al at a press conference.

Blues have to focus on getting their s**t together and not worry about media/grumpy supporters.

Play better footy and win games - then everyone shuts the f*** up.

They have to seriously pull their finger out before the season gets kissed goodbye.

Back