Remove this Banner Ad

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Anyone get the picture that we've undermined our own rebuild?

Just asking.

Undermined it by sacking the coach who was playing the kids? Now getting upset that the coach is hampering development by not playing the kids? Or have we picked the wrong kids? Or have the kids learned bad habits from watching conditional players getting continually selected or is poor development responsible?

Honestly I think we need a real external review at the end of the season, everything on the table to improve the clubs performance.

I don't get the obsession with taking our best performing player and shoving them into the high pressure environment of club captain at an early age.
Murphy went downhill after getting the captaincy. Might have been coincidence.
Cripps very quickly turned into our best player at an early age. Everyone (I know it wasn't literally everyone, so no need to reply with 'I didn't') wanted him as captain ASAP. I guess you could say that he and Doc have both underperformed since taking the role.
People wanted Weiters as captain very quickly. Now Walsh after 2 seasons and 40 odd games.
What's the obsession with throwing our best young players to the wolves and ruining them?
Walsh might be a great captain of the club. Doesn't have to be now.
I'd actually like to see Curnow as captain for a few years and just let the guys like Cripps, Doc, Weiters, Walsh just do their thing leading by performance.
It's like we're desperate for a young gun saviour to lead us to the promised land. Meanwhile, we're still reading the instructions to the GPS and haven't even got the co-ordinates keyed in.

Have to say though ... Walsh wants it. He nabbed the captaincy every step of his junior career. He thrives on it. His leadership saw him drafted #1.

My self protection philosophy is now:

I still have hopes for the season but I can't take on the stress.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Undermined it by sacking the coach who was playing the kids? Now getting upset that the coach is hampering development by not playing the kids? Or have we picked the wrong kids? Or have the kids learned bad habits from watching conditional players getting continually selected or is poor development responsible?

Honestly I think we need a real external review at the end of the season, everything on the table to improve the clubs performance.
On one hand, if things are of an acceptable standard we should have nothing to fear from a review. On the other, Lloyd's role when he came in was to go over each onfield and off-field football department with a fine toothed comb; it lead to the recruitment of Russell, Power and Austin, and the removal of SOS and a few others across the myriad of roles.

It'd be a review on top of a review. He was going to look at the coaches box after list management, but that was the last we heard of this; could be it got halted by the change of focus after the start of the 2020 season and the Covid interruption, the laying off of staff.

There's also the question of what you'd be reviewing for, and in the situation you're reviewing footy expertise, who precisely has the expertise to review a list management or talent development department? If we had to do it, I'd be getting in Stephen Wells to review list management and development, and/or someone like Dunstall and/or Roos to look at coaching.

Calling for an independent review sounds good, but you'd need to know the brief, how broad it should be, how forensic, etc. Otherwise, you're calling for a barely disguised witchhunt.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Have to say though ... Walsh wants it. He nabbed the captaincy every step of his junior career. He thrives on it. His leadership saw him drafted #1.
How dare you counter my rant with well considered logic?
Look, I'm sure he would actually make a very good captain and agree with you, but I just don't see the need to rush it. He's just started his 3rd season and hasn't even played 50 games yet.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Can you write some serious criticism on here or is this kind of a smokescreen thread?
Both. Neither.

Ask The Old Dark Navy's, they started the last one.

I started this thread because we have relentless negativity in each football thread on this forum at the moment, and it's getting in the way of discussion. At least, if we have this thread and you want to be as honest if you want to be, you've somewhere to do it without worrying about dickheads like me chirping in and having a crack at you about it.

Can you write some serious criticism on here or is this kind of a smokescreen thread?

This thread is generally for people who've lost hope.

The feral fan thread is for more for controversial opinions and criticism, without name calling of course.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mckay also doesn’t have a footy IQ. Whoever is teaching our forward line needs to go. They don’t lead. Whoever is in charge of the midfield also has to go. There’s no defence at stoppages. Players are on their own and no one from
Our team has the confidence to run through and take Possession.

I don’t blame McKay when our game
Plan is to kick to contests and his strengths are in the air under pressure.

That is a big one from what I can see.

We lament the loss of Sav Rocca as a goal kicking coach, but who is teaching our forwards actual forward craft?
Even if our kicking skills were better, our forwards just don't present targets or work to open up the forward line. Then we have to bomb it in because the opposition defence is running the show and there isn't a smarter kick to make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mckay also doesn’t have a footy IQ. Whoever is teaching our forward line needs to go. They don’t lead. Whoever is in charge of the midfield also has to go. There’s no defence at stoppages. Players are on their own and no one from
Our team has the confidence to run through and take Possession.

I don’t blame McKay when our game
Plan is to kick to contests and his strengths are in the air under pressure.

Cameron Bruce for the first one and John Barker for the second one.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Cameron Bruce for the first one and John Barker for the second one.
The ex hawthorn approach is not working with our assistants. Power to coach midfield and bring in an expert from a good system I.e. Port, Richmond or West Coast. Teams that now how to set up, lead or play the way needed for team
Success.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Who the * is supposed to be teaching how to be front and centre to our smalls?

I cannot name a single contest this year when a forward - not Cripps when resting, not Murphy; a forward playing as a forward - hit a stoppage front and centre. The ball hits the front of the pack, and one of two things happen; one of their defenders gets the ball and clears to the vacant wing, or one of their defenders gets the ball and is under pressure from the KPF who flew from the ball.

Who the * is designing our entries inside fifty, and who is teaching our forwards positioning?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Who the fu** is supposed to be teaching how to be front and centre to our smalls?

I cannot name a single contest this year when a forward - not Cripps when resting, not Murphy; a forward playing as a forward - hit a stoppage front and centre. The ball hits the front of the pack, and one of two things happen; one of their defenders gets the ball and clears to the vacant wing, or one of their defenders gets the ball and is under pressure from the KPF who flew from the ball.

Who the fu** is designing our entries inside fifty, and who is teaching our forwards positioning?
Pretty sure Can Bruce has made a YouTube playlist for the forwards. Very inspirational stuff.

Anyone get the picture that we've undermined our own rebuild?

Just asking.
In not having decent development coaches to bring out the best in the boys that SOS recruited and drafted? In not supporting our last 2 head coaches by getting in the best possible assistant coaches we could get rather than a bunch of tyro's from other clubs development systems who haven't been assistant coaches at AFL level before?

Then just maybe we have undermined our rebuild.

sells what?
Papers, clicks off social media, ads on web pages, increased ratings on s**t shows like AFL 360 where a complete muppet and a drunken slob take turns in deriding the team that both of them hate.

Sticks was made the captain the year after he arrived at the club... when he was 23, I think... but Sticks was a larger than life figure who thrived under the pressure. I'm not saying that Walsh won't... but I would wait until the end of the year before making him the captain. We need a vice captain for the forward line, I would move Crippa and Doc back to being the vice captains for their particular areas on the ground.

Who the fu** is supposed to be teaching how to be front and centre to our smalls?

Who the fu** is designing our entries inside fifty, and who is teaching our forwards positioning?
Stanton - midfield and transition
Barker - stoppages
Bruce - forwards

And from what I've heard, Woosha is there to review the assistant coaches currently at the club and either give them a green tick or as Stig said, put a red line through them... which apparently includes a "club" favourite who no one wants to sack.

He was asking about defence at stoppages though.
Ahh... yeah, that’s all on Barker that one. And our structures around the ball and the transition from a clearance to another Carlton player. I think he’s also mostly behind Ed’s blind panicked kicks from a clearance as well.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Ok I’m putting a line through us making finals in 2021 (it will be much less painful than keeping hope alive that we will).

We are great with ball in hand and not very good when it’s not. Still a team of downhill skiers if this hasn’t improved significantly by the end of the year Teague must go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back