Gaborone

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2007
North Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwich City FC
Melbourne got right on top in the last quarter but how can umpires be so inconsistent in applying the rules? 26 to 15 free kicks after a bit of evening up in junk time. In the back paid to Melbourne but not Hawthorn. Trips in the goal square ignored. Dropping the ball and rewarding tackling - isn't that a rule?
The worst thing about AFL football is the how much influence that umpires have on the game. They have more impact on the result than any individual player.

Melbourne got right on top in the last quarter but how can umpires be so inconsistent in applying the rules? 26 to 15 free kicks after a bit of evening up in junk time. In the back paid to Melbourne but not Hawthorn. Trips in the goal square ignored. Dropping the ball and rewarding tackling - isn't that a rule?
The worst thing about AFL football is the how much influence that umpires have on the game. They have more impact on the result than any individual player.
Hahaha just take your loss like a man. Weak character to blame someone else.

Last edited:

OP wasn't blaming anyone, just a rightful observation on the poor and inconsistent state of umpiring in the game. Why Hawthorn lost will be reviewed within the club walls on Monday, players will be held to account and some, including coaches, will eventually lose their jobs due to repeated poor performances. Will the umpires? Not likely and we're not naive enough to believe the umpires are truly accountable.

Most of us love our teams but love footy too and we're sick of being taken for fools by the AFL through the way the game is umpired. The AFL tell the players and supporters that if you do x, y or z you will be penalised. Which they are. Sometimes.

Climb on a players back and don't touch the ball. Free kick. All the time. Every time. Then why wasn't Pickett penalised? It was clear as day.
Shiels gets sat on when he dives on a loose ball and gets pinged for taking the Melb player's legs out. It's the rule, the AFL tell us . All the time. Every time. Then why wasn't Hibberd penalised when he took Wingard's legs out diving on the ball in the Hawks goal square?

Don't give us rules and then twist them to suit your agenda by applying "interpretations" That's taking us for fools. We need transparency, tell the clubs and supporters through the media why decisions like those mentioned are not being paid. If they're mistakes, admit it, if not, explain why so we can apply some clarity and maybe become better informed. The clubs and coaches have no voice, the media is too scared of the AFL to have a voice, it's just us supporters left to make some noise and unfortunately a W gives some supporters short term amnesia.

Footy supporters have been complaining about umpires since there's been footy and umpires and it won't change but at least give us the professional courtesy to show why you're not practicing what you preach. We may be one-eyed but we're not dumb and we're not fools.

OP wasn't blaming anyone, just a rightful observation on the poor and inconsistent state of umpiring in the game. Why Hawthorn lost will be reviewed within the club walls on Monday, players will be held to account and some, including coaches, will eventually lose their jobs due to repeated poor performances. Will the umpires? Not likely and we're not naive enough to believe the umpires are truly accountable.

Most of us love our teams but love footy too and we're sick of being taken for fools by the AFL through the way the game is umpired. The AFL tell the players and supporters that if you do x, y or z you will be penalised. Which they are. Sometimes.

Climb on a players back and don't touch the ball. Free kick. All the time. Every time. Then why wasn't Pickett penalised? It was clear as day.
Shiels gets sat on when he dives on a loose ball and gets pinged for taking the Melb player's legs out. It's the rule, the AFL tell us . All the time. Every time. Then why wasn't Hibberd penalised when he took Wingard's legs out diving on the ball in the Hawks goal square?

Don't give us rules and then twist them to suit your agenda by applying "interpretations" That's taking us for fools. We need transparency, tell the clubs and supporters through the media why decisions like those mentioned are not being paid. If they're mistakes, admit it, if not, explain why so we can apply some clarity and maybe become better informed. The clubs and coaches have no voice, the media is too scared of the AFL to have a voice, it's just us supporters left to make some noise and unfortunately a W gives some supporters short term amnesia.

Footy supporters have been complaining about umpires since there's been footy and umpires and it won't change but at least give us the professional courtesy to show why you're not walking the walk. We may be one-eyed but we're not dumb and we're not fools.
Hahahaha 😭😭😭😭😭

Nothing better than people who can't handle a loss. Absolutely sheltered existence.

Hahahaha 😭😭😭😭😭

Nothing better than people who can't handle a loss. Absolutely sheltered existence.

I don't think any Hawks supporter will come out and suggest we should have won that game, and it was ONLY because of umpiring that we lost.
We were poor, and an extra goal to Wingard was unlikely to save us from running out of legs in the 4th quarter.

But as OP stated, there was inconsistency of umpiring within the game itself which is just unacceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes you get the rub of the green sometimes you don't. If the margins of victory can be affected by the a few umpiring decisions then you're probably not doing enough to win the game anyway.
Biggest load of s**t I've ever read.

A free kick is literally winning a contest. Often it's a marking contest.

The value coaches put on not losing contests and influencing contests shows how critically important it is.

But when umpires influence a critical contest - it's irrelevant?? Please.

Umpiring plays as big a part in a result as anyone.

You can't change it obviously, and coaches don't want players worrying about s**t they have no control over - but for fans to think umpiring isn't relevant is just naivety of the highest order.

The second part I would add, is that I don't understand why fans get sooky when someone suggests they were favoured by umpires, and that they influenced the result. Who gives a s**t?? A win is a win. Who cares how it came about.

A bounce of a ball, a guy slipping over, an injury, an umpiring decision. What's the difference??

A lot of our guys in here embarrassing the rest of us. No need to be so arrogant and rude.

The simple fact is the umpiring was terrible and we were certainly favoured in non calls or soft frees. Having watched a lot of games this year, this is nothing new, the umpires have generally been terrible.

Probably don't need a specific thread for this game though.

The umpiring was all over the shop - that's what gets my goat. In the first quarter, Frost couldn't look at a player without getting pinged. In the second, he could have hit a Stan Hansen clothesline and got away with it. Not for a second suggesting we would have won (we managed to bring Melbourne down to our level for three quarters) but all anyone asks for is consistency.

I reckon Wingard was hard done by in the goalsquare and I reckon he's been hard done by for a while now. It might be because he does try to highlight any contact he gets but that shouldn't affect whether the umpire pays a free kick or not.

When you’re second to the footy and play from behind you give away more free kicks. Simple.
It‘s not the ones you give away that’s the problem, they were all there. It’s the ones you don’t get for similar infringements that gets on our nerves, the two I mentioned were infringements on Hawthorn players who weren’t playing from behind. Jeff Kennett could’ve umpired and Hawthorn still would’ve lost, it’s not the point. It’s the state of the game that concerns me. FWIW I get just as annoyed watching neutral games. As I said, I love the game but the way it’s officiated is an embarassment to sport.

It‘s not the ones you give away that’s the problem, they were all there. It’s the ones you don’t get for similar infringements that gets on our nerves, the two I mentioned were infringements on Hawthorn players who weren’t playing from behind. Jeff Kennett could’ve umpired and Hawthorn still would’ve lost, it’s not the point. It’s the state of the game that concerns me. FWIW I get just as annoyed watching neutral games. As I said, I love the game but the way it’s officiated is an embarassment to sport.

It’s not as bad as you’re making out. Really no worse or better than any other season. Swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Sometimes you get the rub of the green sometimes you don't. If the margins of victory can be affected by the a few umpiring decisions then you're probably not doing enough to win the game anyway.
I agree but Gill doesn’t like big margins, the AFL’s mantra is all about equalization and close games, trying to make games and clubs and finances as equal as possible through fair means or foul.

Rub of the green constitutes luck but umpires ignoring one free but paying a similar one is not luck, it’s someone not doing their job properly and it’s 2021- too bad, so sad doesn’t cut it any more. We’re getting better in every facet of the game except 2, goal kicking and umpiring and both need taking back to basics.

Maybe the umpire was distracted by Pig's ruthless and steely determination to get the ball? That was wonderful, desperate, game-changing stuff from Pig- moments like that are why you and I watch footy in the first place. You can't blame the umpire for getting caught up in the spectacle of it. Brilliant stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back