Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was
And by way of context, it needs to be understood that the news of Port's agreement to join the AFL had broken on (I think) the last Tuesday afternoon in July 1990 and Cunningham had spent the rest of the week hurling vicious vitriol at the club on his talk back program. I was stuck in a car driving back from the Riverland with my boss who was a mad Glenelg fan and he insisted the radio stay on the Cunningham footy show. The commentary was over the top - 'treason', 'back stabbing' etc. It was an a rabid feeding frenzy that continued on radio, TV and in the print media for the rest of the week.

On Thursday 2 August the other 9 SANFL clubs and SANFL had a 'War Cabinet' meeting to develop a strategy to block the Port move and most were openly calling for Port to be kicked out of the SANFL. A dozen SANFL officials flew to Melbourne on the Friday to lobby the AFL against Port.

As you can well understand emotions were running at fever pitch - it was PAFC vs the rest of the state.

So for Cunningham to then decide to rock up to Alberton Oval on the Saturday for the game against West Adelaide and make his way through the Port faithful was a deliberate and provocative act of showboating from a man who had spent the week doing all he could to pour oil on the fire of anti-Port emotions.

He made it all about him, knowing full well the emotional firestorm he was walking into. He spent the game in the media area up in the stand and near the end of the game (Port were thumping West by a big margin) KG decided to walk down the stairs and directly through the magpie supporter base. Of course he made absolutely sure he had a Police contingent to protect him and a camera crew to film the response of supporters.

A pig headed and totally unprofessional act shamefully designed to maximise his media exposure off the back of the anti-Port hatred he had played a key role in whipping up over the week.
Was there that day with my old man who was going to kill kg I was bloody scared.
Check out kg vs Alberton on YouTube my old man is the one in the leather jacket I was trying to get him to leave lol.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any chance of getting any decent coverage on any of the footy shows on a week where we actually win? Been watching all the footy shows all year and yet to get any decent coverage on any of the shows.
There's your first mistake. We wont get coverage as we arent either
1) a victorian club who is exceeding expectations (Melbourne, Western Bulldogs etc); or
2) a victorian club who is underachieving/still s**t (Collingwood, Carlton etc)

We wont get a look in so you might as well stop watching. They will spend 2 hours dissecting Carltons loss to Port and wont talk about us at all

They will spend 2 hours dissecting Carltons loss to Port and wont talk about us at all

It began as early as the final quarter, with Garry Lyon straining to find positives amidst dissecting Carlton in general, with the game ongoing as background noise.

It’s a horrendous aspect of AFL commentary in general, but it’s never more egregious than when the likes of Port are flying and most of the big 4 Melbourne clubs suck.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It began as early as the final quarter, with Garry Lyon straining to find positives amidst dissecting Carlton in general, with the game ongoing as background noise.

It’s a horrendous aspect of AFL commentary in general, but it’s never more egregious than when the likes of Port are flying and most of the big 4 Melbourne clubs suck.

The whole narrative of the game leading up and post match was that Port were vulnerable, banged up and ripe to be beaten and it was Carltons chance to show everybody what they could do and establish themselves back to their rightful position at the upper echelons of the league.

The reality was Port lost a couple of good young 40 gamers, but has a deep premiership contending squad, against a team that is just a mid table struggler. Media: Whats wrong at Carlton?

If a blind person was listening to the commentary of that game I'm not sure they would've been able to figure out who Carlton were playing.

That the Essendon v Collingwood game is still being billed as a blockbuster - despite the fact that we've reached round 6, and they currently have 2 wins between them, tells you all you need to know about the media. If Port and the Crows both sucked in similar circumstances, and there was a Showdown around now, it'd rightly be condemned as a cripple fight between 2 strugglers.

Just a reminder that the lack of a women's team is certainly denting the media coverage Port is getting, including in its home town.

I‘m sure we’ll survive.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
If Adelaide were Chicago, we would be the White Sox. What dents our Press coverage is being Port.

We won’t get nothing for free. We will never be the “cool guys” — not in Adelaide, even less in Melbourne. We must accept that and always work hard to be forced into conversation.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just a reminder that the lack of a women's team is certainly denting the media coverage Port is getting, including in its home town.

Carn... even if we did have a team, we'd still get bugger all coverage because of 2 things
1) we are Port
2) we arent the crows

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any chance of getting any decent coverage on any of the footy shows on a week where we actually win? Been watching all the footy shows all year and yet to get any decent coverage on any of the shows.
I think it should be abundantly obvious by now that all these shows are so Vic dominated they are not interested in any non-Vic teams that are doing well, unless they are coming from the bottom. Then they want to stop whatever rule that helps them moving up - hello Sydney. Interest soon wanes. What they want is drama, shock and teams in turmoil and for them to kiss the ar.es of Melbourne teams winning.
If you want SA media then its all about how great the Cows are even if they are 0-13 and on the bottom.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Just on Garry Lyon one of my mates was dealing blackjack to him in Crown a number of years ago and in conversation my mate said he was South Australian. Well apparently Lyon went on a 5 minute monologue how the non-Vic states had killed football and he wished that they would go back to the VFL. That's the sort of stupidity you're dealing with. He may have changed his tune now but wouldn't surprise me if that is still how he feels.

Just on Garry Lyon one of my mates was dealing blackjack to him in Crown a number of years ago and in conversation my mate said he was South Australian. Well apparently Lyon went on a 5 minute monologue how the non-Vic states had killed football and he wished that they would go back to the VFL. That's the sort of stupidity you're dealing with. He may have changed his tune now but wouldn't surprise me if that is still how he feels.

In much the same the Republic of Fruchoctopia blames Port for everything, he really misses the mark.

The arms race between Collingwood and Richmond in the early 80’s which threatened to send both of those powerhouse clubs to wall, let alone the fact the VFL’s multimedia rights were worth nothing (ditto the SANFL and WAFL) is what ultimately led to the push for a national comp.

I mean, what does he seriously think the alternative was?

In much the same the Republic of Fruchoctopia blames Port for everything, he really misses the mark.

The arms race between Collingwood and Richmond in the early 80’s which threatened to send both of those powerhouse clubs to wall, let alone the fact the VFL’s multimedia rights were worth nothing (ditto the SANFL and WAFL) is what ultimately led to the push for a national comp.

He’ll get free piss in pubs in Malbun for the rest of his life whatever happens so he wouldn’t give a * about reality or alternatives.

It’s a Victorian thing.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well having been there at the time in the early 80's when they started throwing money at guys to sign Form 4's. It was stupid money being thrown around by amateur administrators. That's the thing to remember most guys running clubs were small business types who got in over their heads - other than Carlton who pretty much was the cause of it - John Elliott and others signing players.
Not helped at the time by the best generation of young players coming out of SA and to a lesser extent WA it turned into a chequebook war that got close to breaking clubs. So in respect to that they could point the finger.
Anyway that's why they started the draft so clubs weren't forking out cash for Form 4's which just linked a player to a club but not necessarily meant that they played for that club. I guess what Lyon wants is 12 VFL Clubs sharing around the nations football talent between themselves which is what they tried to do in the 80's. Problem was they were amateurs, if they did it now they would have succeeded.
Also the VFL was run by the clubs so until Ross Oakley came along decisions would have been compromised by club loyalties and the business side not as well run.

Well having been there at the time in the early 80's when they started throwing money at guys to sign Form 4's. It was stupid money being thrown around by amateur administrators. That's the thing to remember most guys running clubs were small business types who got in over their heads - other than Carlton who pretty much was the cause of it - John Elliott and others signing players.
Not helped at the time by the best generation of young players coming out of SA and to a lesser extent WA it turned into a chequebook war that got close to breaking clubs. So in respect to that they could point the finger.
Anyway that's why they started the draft so clubs weren't forking out cash for Form 4's which just linked a player to a club but not necessarily meant that they played for that club. I guess what Lyon wants is 12 VFL Clubs sharing around the nations football talent between themselves which is what they tried to do in the 80's. Problem was they were amateurs, if they did it now they would have succeeded.
Also the VFL was run by the clubs so until Ross Oakley came along decisions would have been compromised by club loyalties and the business side not as well run.

Great point. The most egregious example of this was when separate factions of the Collingwood board managed to sign Jack Cahill and John Kennedy Snr to be head coach for season 1983, resulting in Jack actually getting the job and Kennedy Snr getting a significant payout to do literally nothing.

Madness.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great point. The most egregious example of this was when separate factions of the Collingwood board managed to sign Jack Cahill and John Kennedy Snr to be head coach for season 1983, resulting in Jack actually getting the job and Kennedy Snr getting a significant payout to do literally nothing.

Madness.
Bahahahahahahahaha

I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back