Golf Golf technique

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Have a go at accepting that shape. Tee up on the right side of the tee box, aim up the left. A straight one will be up, the left, if the fade comes on then you’re in the middle/right side.
Nicklaus hit a fade and he’s the best ever.
I dont mind the good ones which are fairly gentle and playable, but as the clubs get longer on tight holes I'm every chance of putting it onto the adjacent hole/road on the right.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont mind the good ones which are fairly gentle and playable, but as the clubs get longer on tight holes I'm every chance of putting it onto the adjacent hole/road on the right.
driving past spring park on springy rd the other day....gus says...wonder if juss is on the tee!

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Mate the way I was hitting them at the range the other day, it would have hit someone 3 holes across lol.
In all seriousness I am genuinely surprised on that hole if the odd ball doesn't hit a car.
I had a lesson a few weeks back and I am standing a bit taller.....not sitting quite as much. This allows my bum to stay roughly where it started (I hit some balls with a chair resting on my tail and feel it touching through the backswing)...before it was moving a few inches towards the ball. Also...the other thing (and I was already aware of it) was trying to get the full shoulder turn. I quit on it a bit which gives me better feel as things happen a bit slower. When I turn fully, swing speed goes up (which is the correct thing to do) but I lose all sense of what is happening at those higher club speeds. Pretty sure the half shoulder turn causes a whole lot of other swing issues.

Also, when I am not warmed up my driving can be a bit erratic. I tend to hit these low pull hooky shots sometimes at the start. At the range I moved the ball further forward in my stance (an inch or so) and presto the ball was going higher with a better ball flight. It was still occasionally happening but nowhere near as dramatic. I think I was releasing the club better through and just after impact and striking the ball in a more upwards direction.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just had a lesson before work. Was focussed on trying to counter the big fade/slice. All the usual stuff like grip, don't cup, takeaway keep it square wasn't working.

We then tried a drill where I kept the clubface massively closed at address, like so closed its pointed almost fully left. He told me to swing trying to hit the biggest hook I could. We kept doing this, hitting massive hooks that barely got off the ground and went left all the way. This was to get the feel. Then we slowly just tweaked it back a little less and less until we were somewhat straight. By the end of it, the shape was a lot better.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Areas I've recently improved:
-Putts inside 6 feet
-Hybrid consistency
-Bunker shots

Areas that I'm focussing on next:
-Finding fairways with the driver
-Pitches/chips to the green running off or leaving me long challenging putts
-Getting back onto a good spot on the fairway in only 1 shot when I miss

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
-Putts inside 6 feet
-Hybrid consistency
-Bunker shots

Start using a 48 to 56 degree wedge as your go to from about 10m to 30m chips/pitches (use one and keep with it so you get to like it and can rely on it). They will spin the ball (use a proper spin ball like prov) and be easier to get used to the length they travel than a 60 degree....just use that for bunkers and if you have to fly it high and soft (over a bunker or if you short side yourself). A 9 iron will require a lot of green to work with and will often run out too far. I like using them for a long pitch but I normally like to be quite close to the green. Some of these thoughts will be different from player to player...be interested to see others thoughts.

-Putts inside 6 feet
-Hybrid consistency
-Bunker shots

Finding fairways/keeping it in play. As a former instructor said if you cant get off the tee (whatever club) you cant play golf.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
-Putts inside 6 feet
-Hybrid consistency
-Bunker shots

Just reading your posts you seem to play a lot of tight courses. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself missing fairways.

I spent the weekend up the border playing down bowling alleys. We had good players making stacks of trips into the timber.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just reading your posts you seem to play a lot of tight courses. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself missing fairways.

I spent the weekend up the border playing down bowling alleys. We had good players making stacks of trips into the timber.
Haha fair enough! Yep most of the local publics in my general area are relatively tight. I do remember playing Portsea once and thinking I could never miss a fairway because you've got 100m of green carpet to work with. Obviously heaps of other challenges there though.

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went for a putting fitting session last night and we tinkered with my set up ... amazing the different data from just a bit of a set up change I always thought rolling the ball was rolling the ball no matter how you set up

Going to work on it and try a couple of the recommended putters for me before doing another session and hopefully picking one

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Went for a putting fitting session last night and we tinkered with my set up ... amazing the different data from just a bit of a set up change I always thought rolling the ball was rolling the ball no matter how you set up

Going to work on it and try a couple of the recommended putters for me before doing another session and hopefully picking one
Where'd you do that one?

Did they try different loft putters?

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did they try different loft putters?

Didn’t try other putters yet ... wants me to work on the set up and try different putters in my own time .. based off the data narrowed it down to about 4 couple different styles and lofts but suggested what type of loft I need can’t remember what it was though

Back