Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Crow supporters haven't learned and are banking on band 1 compo for M Crouch Classic.

Aussie Rules Draft Central has a list of the top 21 prospects for 2021 with no Jas Burgoyne. He is listed as in the mix in a group of the next 11 players.
That stuff doesn't matter anyway. Half of the top 20 on Twomey's draft preview are always stat grabbers who are better suited to marathon running than AFL football.

That stuff doesn't matter anyway. Half of the top 20 on Twomey's draft preview are always stat grabbers who are better suited to marathon running than AFL football.
Arguably you have described exactly the type of player Burgoyne is. Question marks for me on his damage and impact.

For years Port supporters laughed at clangerfield lololol at being this huge turnover merchant, SPP is Dangerfield just 20% worse. I love most of what he brings which is why I think he is worth more than the other players being mentioned itt.
Powell-Pepper has dramatically improved his decision making from where it was. Regardless, why would you want to let go of a player who brings such a unqiue point of difference. He is incredibly important at stoppages for his defensive work (blocks, tackles, shepherds) and can also go forward and kick a goal and provide manic defensive pressure. Vehemently disagree with you on this one.

Powell-Pepper has dramatically improved his decision making from where it was. Regardless, why would you want to let go of a player who brings such a unqiue point of difference. He is incredibly important at stoppages for his defensive work (blocks, tackles, shepherds) and can also go forward and kick a goal and provide manic defensive pressure. Vehemently disagree with you on this one.
I think Chris Davies is trying to build an extremely skilled team and that's the philosophy that is driving the list build. I don't think Sam fits this philosophy, I think in linking chains you don't want a less than fifty fifty kick. I like Sam and see all the good things he brings I just see all the bad things he does as well, and I'm not questioning his efforts but his skills are lacking.

After saying all that I wouldn't trade him lightly, it would depend on what player would be available at the pick we can get. I wouldn't be happy if we drafted a forward or back we would need to replace him with a super mid.

I think Chris Davies is trying to build an extremely skilled team and that's the philosophy that is driving the list build. I don't think Sam fits this philosophy, I think in linking chains you don't want a less than fifty fifty kick. I like Sam and see all the good things he brings I just see all the bad things he does as well, and I'm not questioning his efforts but his skills are lacking.

After saying all that I wouldn't trade him lightly, it would depend on what player would be available at the pick we can get. I wouldn't be happy if we drafted a forward or back we would need to replace him with a super mid.
Fair enough. I would first reiterate my assertion that Sam Powell Pepper has improved his skills and decision making enough to not be a liability in chains of quick possession. Furthermore, we are very good at supporting each other's strengths and weaknesses as a team. How often do you see Boak or Wines on the end of a handball chain to kick it inside 50? Rarely. We make sure it is Houston, Hartlett, Amon, Rozee, Butters who receive the ball in space to make a good decision and execute going inside 50. In terms of handballing to continue a chain SPP is very good in that regard with quick hands and good coordination in tight.

For years Port supporters laughed at clangerfield lololol at being this huge turnover merchant, SPP is Dangerfield just 20% worse. I love most of what he brings which is why I think he is worth more than the other players being mentioned itt.

SPP is MVP!

I think he will prove doubters wrong and be one of our best players in the finals-like he was last year.

No one doubts his footballing ability.

Fair enough. I would first reiterate my assertion that Sam Powell Pepper has improved his skills and decision making enough to not be a liability in chains of quick possession. Furthermore, we are very good at supporting each other's strengths and weaknesses as a team. How often do you see Boak or Wines on the end of a handball chain to kick it inside 50? Rarely. We make sure it is Houston, Hartlett, Amon, Rozee, Butters who receive the ball in space to make a good decision and execute going inside 50. In terms of handballing to continue a chain SPP is very good in that regard with quick hands and good coordination in tight.
I could talk about the free kicks he gives away every game for being undisciplined, I could talk about him missing training sessions and losing the faith of the club a little bit, I could talk about him kicking twice the amount of behinds to goals every year except his first, or I can talk about his clangers and turning it over every second possession. Or i could just say he's lost my trust.

SPP has a hell of a lot to work on in my opinion to become an A grade player but he has a fair bit of currency based on games played, age and where he was taken in the draft hopefully his misdemeanours off the field haven't diminished that value too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't get someone like Horne for free from North. There would still be an immense price to pay. So really, you either pay it now or later. Difference being is you can get more service out of them if you do it now.

I could talk about the free kicks he gives away every game for being undisciplined, I could talk about him missing training sessions and losing the faith of the club a little bit, I could talk about him kicking twice the amount of behinds to goals every year except his first, or I can talk about his clangers and turning it over every second possession. Or i could just say he's lost my trust.

SPP has a hell of a lot to work on in my opinion to become an A grade player but he has a fair bit of currency based on games played, age and where he was taken in the draft hopefully his misdemeanours off the field haven't diminished that value too much.
He still kicked 19 goals last year in a condensed season. He no longer turns the ball over every second possession-that's an exaggeration.
In terms of off field, I think he has done a hell of a lot of work that people don't give him credit for. He's made some mistakes but I'll back him and it looks like the playing group are going to back him as well. Jonas and DBJ both emphasised how hard he works at the club and I believe that is the rule and the indiscretions are the exception. The amount of games he's played consistently is testament to that.

He still kicked 19 goals last year in a condensed season. He no longer turns the ball over every second possession-that's an exaggeration.
In terms of off field, I think he has done a hell of a lot of work that people don't give him credit for. He's made some mistakes but I'll back him and it looks like the playing group are going to back him as well. Jonas and DBJ both emphasised how hard he works at the club and I believe that is the rule and the indiscretions are the exception. The amount of games he's played consistently is testament to that.
He kicked 7 goals 12 behinds last year, he has consistently kicked more behinds than goals since 2018. Yeah I've never heard players come out and say my team mates training standards suck, he's a horror case of the field and couldn't hit me on the tit if his life depended on it.

I love your belief in sam but his disposal efficiency is around 55% over the last two years, literally right now is coming from a club imposed suspension, played his first game at sanfl level this weekend you would think desperate to get back in the AFL side and he misses 10 30 metre kicks.

He kicked 7 goals 12 behinds last year, he has consistently kicked more behinds than goals since 2018. Yeah I've never heard players come out and say my team mates training standards suck, he's a horror case of the field and couldn't hit me on the tit if his life depended on it.

I love your belief in sam but his disposal efficiency is around 55% over the last two years, literally right now is coming from a club imposed suspension, played his first game at sanfl level this weekend you would think desperate to get back in the AFL side and he misses 10 30 metre kicks.
I guess time will tell which one of us is correct.

You wouldn't get someone like Horne for free from North. There would still be an immense price to pay. So really, you either pay it now or later. Difference being is you can get more service out of them if you do it now.
I'm not quite sure about this. The difference between a a draft pick and a listed player is that the player can nominate a destination club. I don't think there would be anyway that we would get a number 1 pick this year. But if Horne was listed at North and out of contract, and elected to go to Port then I think they would just have to settle with what we could give them.

I'm not quite sure about this. The difference between a a draft pick and a listed player is that the player can nominate a destination club. I don't think there would be anyway that we would get a number 1 pick this year. But if Horne was listed at North and out of contract, and elected to go to Port then I think they would just have to settle with what we could give them.

Settling would still be a high first rounder or equivalent. Name a time when this hasn't been the case even when it's held them over a barrel sor of stuff.

Settling would still be a high first rounder or equivalent. Name a time when this hasn't been the case even when it's held them over a barrel sor of stuff.
You would still pay but not nearly the amount that you would need to get the draft pick to initially draft such a player.

Jaeger Omeara and Tom Boyd are recent cases where the trade value to get the pick 1 to draft them would've been way more than the actual trade value.

Even tho North are sh*t we cant rely on Horne or anyone to leave and come to us. How is that going with Lukosius and Rankine?

we got rozee butters and duursma (and woodcock late)

so it worked out pretty damn good to not chase pick 1 and the unicorn.
no one feels like port is missing out right now as much as we may like those two gcs boys.
Teams just don’t part with pick 1 unless a superstar is coming the other way. The optics are just too bad if it doesn’t work out perfectly.

all we can do is wait and see with Horne and hope he wants to come back. Maintaining stability and success over the next few years will likely be the best way to help increase the odds.

Hugh Jackson is a midfielder from North Adelaide who's having a stellar start to the season. Proven to be an absolute ball magnet, he has great skills, great endurance and is the perfect balance of inside and outside. He could end up being a Tom Powell type bolter throughout the year. He's a player i've earmarked as someone I would love to get to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back