List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

All great points mate. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Independent investigation of our football department is required ASAP. There’s a bad smell coming from there. There’s some sort of boys club that’s trickled down to the playing group and it’s very obvious.

i think if we get to the bye and we don’t look like playing finals this would be a very prudent excercise however should be done with the assurance that DT is safe, and the point is to ensure he is supported as best as possible.

From the outside it appears Barker and Stanton are completely out of there depth as the senior assistants supporting a young inexperienced coach.

Does anyone know what position Sps played as a junior coming up through the ranks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Petrevski-Seton is elusive: he can duck in and out of trouble through the midfield and keep making the play. His first game for WA at the championships was solid, but his second – against Vic Metro at Simonds Stadium – was excellent in a polished performance that highlighted his ability to take the game forward. He isn't a player to look sideways when in possession – he likes to get it going goal-bound as soon as possible.
The 18-year-old is unselfish and brings others into games with his sharp foot skills and quick mind, and he averaged 24 disposals in 12 games at colts level. His form towards the end of the season was best, and he captained Claremont's under-18 side to its premiership win, highlighting an improved leadership presence from him.
The indigenous prospect has played mostly as a midfielder this year and that's where he does his best work, although he is capable closer to goal and was one of the NAB AFL Academy's best players against Werribee's VFL side earlier this year. His tackling is also elite: he sticks his tackles and enjoys bringing a player down.

Looks like midfield with stints in the forward line, would love to see him back in the midfield, that first year of his was so good, goals from the boundary line, feint passes in the midfield, completely stifled now!

i think if we get to the bye and we don’t look like playing finals this would be a very prudent excercise however should be done with the assurance that DT is safe, and the point is to ensure he is supported as best as possible.

From the outside it appears Barker and Stanton are completely out of there depth as the senior assistants supporting a young inexperienced coach.
I think the club should be proactive. Do it now. Keep the department on their toes and they wouldn’t be able to prepare for it. I don’t know if it’s time to scapegoat on anyone. That’s why it should be an unbiased source coming into the club right away to see they’re day to day dealings and they will have a clear picture on what’s going on by the bye. The club can take their notes on board and come out of the bye guns blazing. The more we wait the worst it’ll get. We’ll start scapegoating, as we already have, and DT or someone will get the chop. I’ve seen it happen at this club too often. The time is now. #independentreview

Looks like midfield with stints in the forward line, would love to see him back in the midfield, that first year of his was so good, goals from the boundary line, feint passes in the midfield, completely stifled now!
Reading that makes me sick the way we've coached him.

Out and out midfielder who doesn't kick sideways capable of drifting forward. So we play him as a pure defender who kicks sideways.

What a ******* disgrace.

Out and out midfielder who doesn't kick sideways capable of drifting forward. So we play him as a pure defender who kicks sideways.

What a ******* disgrace.

It is ok to try a player in a new role and see what happens. What has happened is we get a so-so HBF out of the experiment - who always looks better with ball in hand further upfield and even makes better cleaner tackles - upfield. As a player SPS is an attacking natural - and he is qite effective in close quarters tackling than you very much - when he gets isolated one on one in defence - he has too much to think about it isn't his caper.

If SPS needs to build a tank or play midfield o HFF or wing rotations - build his tank FFS.
IF Dow needs to put on 5-7 kilos and build a tank - get on with it same with LoB.

If Kennedy or whoever else just doesn't have the leg speed to play his designed role and isn't ever going to be an A grade extractor- chop him and move on.

It isn't rocket science surely?

Read Richards post Re beibet no one taking darling because he
.... and the interest is/was there as we were gonna pick him up at no.10 in the draft but he turned up late to the interview (we took LOB instead)
Reminds me of when no one took darling because he was supposedly wild , he ended up going around 28 ish what a joke .
Would have been perfect at Carlton but we went fir solid citizens Menzel , Bootsma 💩
Seems like only the hawks and tiges have taken the chance at these so called wild players with some success .
Being Carlton I’d rather take the chance at these so called wild players than end up with
Average players with great interviewing skills

All great points mate. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Independent investigation of our football department is required ASAP. There’s a bad smell coming from there. There’s some sort of boys club that’s trickled down to the playing group and it’s very obvious.
A large part of any sort of culture comes from the make-up of the playing group as a whole. It doesn't have to be the fault of rogue individuals acting immorally or anything so melodramatic; we just have a soft mix of players who enjoy being at Carlton more than they do winning games of football. Certain senior players are a bit too comfortable with their own status at the club and too many of our youngsters lack grit. Some of it is learnt but some is also innate to how we've recruited.

Last edited:
I missed the game yesterday so I can’t comment much on that, but something I feel needs to be addressed, where are we as a side?

There has been a lot of commentary around the Pies atm, with several commentators stating, they are in no mans land, neither challenging or rebuilding.

Although we are 2-3 my gut tells me we aren’t challenging, hopefully I’m wrong, but the worrying thing is, we aren’t rebuilding and we don’t seem to be building. Another poster previously pointed out that, we only had 5 players drafted between 2015-20 play last night, that’s shocking for a club that has invested so heavily in the draft.

We really need to decide where we are at and make team selections accordingly, to me, we aren’t playing enough kids/younger players.

There is no point going through the whole season playing Betts, Murph, Ed, Cas, and to an extent Newnes and finishing just outside the 8, when we could play the kids and actually develop a new small forward, half forward, tagger and finish 2-3 spots lower or maybe we could finish higher.
We have 5 in the side because imo of 2 things injuries and Teague has loaded up on mature aged players because he is worried about his job .
If we had of finished last season strongly and been pushing the 8 its my view he would have been more confident in going with an extra younger player or 2 than we have been .
Instead he's desperate for wins now trouble is his plan is failing him and that may cost him his job at seasons end and at the same time extend the time its takes us to climb the ladder significiantly .
Weve loaded up on mature aged players in the past 2 years from other clubs that should have seen him take another 1 or 2 of the 30+ bracket out or rotate to allow for another spot or 2 to open up .

Instead we are running around with 5 30+ players in our side of very questionable ability and leadership quality as a group .
Just ridiculous in the 6th year of a rebuild
Jmo .

Last edited:

So SPS was drafted as a MIDFIELDER with stints up FORWARD and we are playing him in the BACKLINE.

Thank you.

So SPS was drafted as a MIDFIELDER with stints up FORWARD and we are playing him in the BACKLINE.

Thank you.

Classic Carlton to the T, if you want a defender you draft a defender ffs.

SPS is no where near a pick 6 defender, not even close.

Surely we can't be the only club that drafts midfielders and plays them out of position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. We dont use young midfielders in the midfield. We stifle their growth by putting them forward or back. I cant understand the mentality. We played Walsh out of the middle a lot last year too. This club in unbelievable. Play them at their strengths. Gibbons, SPS, Fisher should be in the middle too. Do they not understand how important midfield is ? We are so weak in there that our backline is always under pressure. And Teague makes no changes, and doesn’t try anything different. I am at a loss with this club right now and am running out of excuses. Really frustrating.

A large part of any sort of culture comes from the make-up of the playing group as a whole. It doesn't have to be the fault of rogue individuals acting immorally or anything so melodramatic; we just have a soft mix of players who enjoy being at Carlton more than they do winning games of football. Certain senior players believe in their own 'legend' (in a modest sense) a bit too much and too many of our youngsters lack grit. Some of it is learnt but some is also innate to how we've recruited.
Wasn’t trying to be melodramatic kind sir. What rogue individuals did I mention?

I clearly stated that there is a boys club that has obviously permeated onto the field. What I meant by it, if you want an explanation, is that the club needs to pull their fingers out and make the tough decisions based on what’s best for the club and not their jobs. The self preservation comes from somewhere and wouldn’t it be helpful if we had a review from an outside source to really find where it’s coming from? It’s not only this year too.

What’s interesting to me is that last year I didn’t actually see any of that self preservation out on the field as much as I’ve seen it this year already. Could be a clue as to what’s happening at Ikon Park.

Wow. A nice reminder of why we were so bullish on him when drafted - unfortunately now he’s a player that I find so frustrating to watch. His actual hurt factor just seems so inexplicably at odds with his potential.

Exactly. We dont use young midfielders in the midfield. We stifle their growth by putting them forward or back. I cant understand the mentality. We played Walsh out of the middle a lot last year too. This club in unbelievable. Play them at their strengths. Gibbons, SPS, Fisher should be in the middle too. Do they not understand how important midfield is ? We are so weak in there that our backline is always under pressure. And Teague makes no changes, and doesn’t try anything different. I am at a loss with this club right now and am running out of excuses. Really frustrating.
There’s three midfielders on at a time, they can’t all play there and we have recruited players who have such poor versatility that they can’t even play on the wings.

We have 5 in the side because imo of 2 things injuries and Teague has loaded up on mature aged players because he is worried about his job .
If we had of finished last season strongly and been pushing the 8 its my view he would have been more confident in going with an extra younger player or 2 than we have been .
Instead he's desperate for wins now trouble is his plan is failing him and that may cost him his job at seasons end and at the same time extend the time its takes us to climb the ladder significiantly .
Weve loaded up on mature aged players in the past 2 years from other clubs that should have seen him take another 1 or 2 of the 30+ bracket out or rotate to allow for another spot or 2 to open up .

Instead we are running around with 5 30+ players in our side of very questionable ability and leadership quality as a group .
Just ridiculous in the 6th year of a rebuild
Jmo .
One more reason imo. The kids like Williamson, Dow, Setterfield and LOB who we had high hopes for have been liabilities. Maybe they actually think not gifting them games is actually the best way to develop them which makes sense when you consider it has done nothing positive for them in the past.

There’s three midfielders on at a time, they can’t all play there and we have recruited players who have such poor versatility that they can’t even play on the wings.
Cmon I know that. I mean rotate a few in there to keep them fresh.

Interesting read, my biggest take was the talk about his inconsistency even back then playing against other kids

One more reason imo. The kids like Williamson, Dow, Setterfield and LOB who we had high hopes for have been liabilities. Maybe they actually think not gifting them games is actually the best way to develop them which makes sense when you consider it has done nothing positive for them in the past.
Agree there are some that have been disappointing and have been gifted games .
However Setterfield in particular was showing plenty last year .
This year he's plonked on the wing which is not his go so i feel there is shared responsibly here with MC .
Williamson looks lost and Dow should never have been getting as many games as he has been considering his fitness levels .
Imo should have played 2 full years of reserves and only now should he be getting senior games being fitter and hungrier .
So again i think MC should share some blame and a good deal of it .
Obrien imo isnt going to make it but was completely thrown to the wolves early on wasnt ready for the sink or swim mentality the club chose to embark on .
Early doors the gifting games approach was wrong but we didnt have much choice . Its a little different now most of them arent kids anymore and are better prepared if they are to be played in their best suited positions .

What a ******* disgrace.

People forget we gave him plenty of opportunities in the midfield in his first 3 seasons however he simply couldn’t get his hands on the footy, we sent him back as a last ditch chance to save his career otherwise he would have ended up another Paddy Dow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back