Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched replay last night, that Atley miss just, I know he had a good game overall, I know we need players in his age/experience bracket, I know other players also missed.

But Shaun is a 200+ game player. He HAS to nail that goal.

Watched replay last night, that Atley miss just, I know he had a good game overall, I know we need players in his age/experience bracket, I know other players also missed.

that's fair; he had a good game, but could have iced it

that's fair; he had a good game, but could have iced it

It happens too often - crucial mistakes that cost us so dearly. Like the kick back into corridor against Essendon that let them get the sniff that Anthony McDonald Serially Overrated pounced on. He also stuffed up in a close Adelaide game, possibly the Petrenko one.

Shaun's been a great servant of the club. He'll play 250 games which is a towering career in any book. We got exactly what we wanted from pick 17 there.

But he's also indicative of the North That Must Be Fixed/Banished, the North that does all the hard work and can do it with style and panache (Cunners inside work and handball to get him the ball was just stunning, as good as anyone in the league has done all year) but then just can't seal the deal.

We've seen bigger and better players than Shaun Atley miss critical shots in critical games though.

One of them even wore Shaun's number.

We've seen bigger and better players than Shaun Atley miss critical shots in critical games though.

This is bullshit.

Everyone makes mistakes, but - leaving Brad Moran to one side - that moment was a perfect representation of Shaun Atley's career. Having a good game, looks great in the moment and then a head shaking error.

Don't have any issue with young players going back to the twos for confidence, but there's no way they're making 7 changes on the back of that game. It's the list managers' job to make sure we're not accidentally too good during a rebuild, not the coaches' and match committee's. Nothing to be gained by making stunt selections. If Garner, Tyson and Menadue are the best performed and most ready to come in, so be it. If Hall plays his way into another 1-year contract, ******* rapt for him. He's a ripper bloke. If we only make 3 changes with 2 out injured and 2 returning from injury, and another unforced omission, fine. You can't say "we're sh*t because the coach has favourites and doesn't enforce standards" and then advocate gifting games just because you cbf watching the VFL to see a kid.

I'll give you a stat: Inside-50 differential. We're currently easily worst in the league at -16, 10 worse than last year and 6 worse than last year's Crows. Only 2 teams have been worse over a whole season since 2010 - the first two years of GWS. In our "good" game yesterday we were -21. Our midfield is dire and swapping out small forwards doesn't matter a pinch of sh*t. The forward line is also sh*t, but that doesn't matter this year - it's all about getting the mids we have up to a point where they're making a difference, not just showing glimpses.

The draft is the draft. We only have one first rounder because we couldn't find a desperate enough buyer for pick 2 last year. It will be a top 3 pick and I honestly don't care which one of the likely top 3-4 picks we end up with. To get more, we need to either give up considerable currency - one of our good young players, a future first, not some B-grade guy you're bored with - or descend into being a directionless rabble and get PPs. Frankly neither of those appeals to me all that much, but others might disagree. If someone we value wants out, I'm more confident of Brady getting something decent back than Joyces. You want to blow up a list that's already been blown up literally 6 months ago.

We're just different kinds of footy fans, Arj. I'll happily go to the VFL, AFLW, ammos at Brunswick Street, Saturday night games at the Bill Lawry oval, stop and watch any random game I'm walking past. I like footy. Footy's good.

I’m sorry if my post came across as not being positive about the list, I am positive about the list and where we are heading. I like Nobles. That was not the point.

There are posters suggesting the cupboard is bare, and that we cannot drop an underperforming kid for an unproven kid, I simply disagree. Firstly Xerri kicked 3 last week, McGuinnes ditto and WWalker kicked the sealer apparently, that to me suggests the cupboard is in fact not bare and there are options that, at least on face value represent better long term potential solves for where we are at, ie: diabolical forward line.

I never said blow up the list, we’ve done that already thankfully, we need to add more talent and some semblance of forward structure that can make the most of their opportunities - I noted your F50 Differential stat - well of course given we’ve played the Dogs/Port with no backline and no Polec and Anderson. We’ve been good for long periods of the last two weeks and generally speaking I’m incredibly happy with our progress especially in terms of the defence. I’m all-in on the rebuild and loving the look of our ball movement at times, until the same players destroy any momentum we have built up.

As for your comment about Footy Fandom, I cop that on the chin. The entire game is and will only ever be, ‘North’ to me.

This is bullshit.

Last Q 1998 GF, 25m out 45 degree angle. If I know KC, it’s this miss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hear, hear - when the game was in the clinches, I thought Atley stood tall
He often does.

its usually most obvious on a replay. See someone win a difficult ball in a pack and rewind to see who did it - its often Ats.

All I can say is we are bloody lucky to get Stephenson, and I hope he has the patience to push through this period of massive Ls and hopefully help unearth some class in other players on our list. He’s damn good even though he goes missing sometimes

There are posters suggesting the cupboard is bare, and that we cannot drop an underperforming kid for an unproven kid, I simply disagree.

The cupboard is largely bare.

It's not that you can't drop 1.

It's that you can't drop 7.

And you need to be selective on the ones you do drop and who you bring in.

Spicer has been mentioned a bit. I've seen posts of it doesn't matter his form. Well it does to an extent. I mean we in the cheapseats have no idea at where he's at. How hard he's finding VFL and whether putting him in the AFL side would affect his mindset. So we keep Mahony in. Who people on here call fraudulent, but perhaps he's just better positioned to be able to grind.

That's what this year is going to be. A grind with flashes of what might be.

Yeah let's forgive Shaun Atley's years of making game costing stuff ups because Duck missed once.

Everyone makes mistakes, but - leaving Brad Moran to one side - that moment was a perfect representation of Shaun Atley's career. Having a good game, looks great in the moment and then a head shaking error.

Not only that but the build up. Cunners in beast mode goes into Matrix time and space, puts Shaun through on goal with an 11/10 hand pass, Shaun streams in and misses from 25 directly in front. While we have momentum, at Kardinia Park.

But oh nah WAYNE *EN CAREY missed in 1998, so Shaun's off the hook.

Not only that but the build up. Cunners in beast mode goes into Matrix time and space, puts Shaun through on goal with an 11/10 hand pass, Shaun streams in and misses from 25 directly in front. While we have momentum, at Kardinia Park.

But oh nah WAYNE fu**EN CAREY missed in 1998, so Shaun's off the hook.

What are you actually arguing here?

People know Shaun has limitations. I mean the whole senior cohort does. IMO we moved the captain to the back line because last year he showed the exact same melting tendency as Shaun did in front of goal.

If you asked the people you're arguing with to post a 22 for 2023 how many do you think will have Shaun in it?

I would think it is pretty few.

Atley has had an ok career. Will end up with more games than he probably should and right now is playing a role as servant to the club as we try and usher in a new age with the youth we have coming in.

If our kids can do the miraculous and come good in the next 3 years and pinch one, of the tenured players I would want us to try and carry he isn't one.

I mean his greatest footballing honour is going to be he has his name on a locker below a two time premiership captain.

I’m sorry if my post came across as not being positive about the list, I am positive about the list and where we are heading. I like Nobles. That was not the point.

There are posters suggesting the cupboard is bare, and that we cannot drop an underperforming kid for an unproven kid, I simply disagree. Firstly Xerri kicked 3 last week, McGuinnes ditto and WWalker kicked the sealer apparently, that to me suggests the cupboard is in fact not bare and there are options that, at least on face value represent better long term potential solves for where we are at, ie: diabolical forward line.

I never said blow up the list, we’ve done that already thankfully, we need to add more talent and some semblance of forward structure that can make the most of their opportunities - I noted your F50 Differential stat - well of course given we’ve played the Dogs/Port with no backline and no Polec and Anderson. We’ve been good for long periods of the last two weeks and generally speaking I’m incredibly happy with our progress especially in terms of the defence. I’m all-in on the rebuild and loving the look of our ball movement at times, until the same players destroy any momentum we have built up.

As for your comment about Footy Fandom, I cop that on the chin. The entire game is and will only ever be, ‘North’ to me.

Last Q 1998 GF, 25m out 45 degree angle. If I know KC, it’s this miss.
Just on the last point. Nonononononononononononono. Too soon. It will always be too soon.

What are you actually arguing here?
I thought it was relatively obvious. He was put in a position to kick a fairly regulation goal, and missed. We were all over them in the first half, and with better forward use could have put a gap between us. But because of lax ball use, the same s**t happened again, and again, the same players. I know we're in transition, but you would expect some things at AFL level to be straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back