List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know much about our other academy prospects?

All of Mitch Owens, Jack Peris, Angus McLennan, Marcus Windhager and Josiah Kyle have also played all 3 opening games of the Nab League with some decent looking stats among them.

With that many playing, surely we can land 2 to 3 decent prospects for cheap.

All the boys were training at RSEA.

Peris ...fast but very small..good skills ....think maybe rookie .

The other boys all likely types ...but they will be later draft picks ..nothing wrong with that by the way.

As said just me saw this year was to bring a lot of youth in mid year draft and end of year draft.

The other boys all likely types ...but they will be later draft picks ..nothing wrong with that by the way.

As said just me saw this year was to bring a lot of youth in mid year draft and end of year draft.

Scott Beilby ...would be great pick up for me

From the weekend

Peris 17 disposals, 2 goals
Owens 21 disposals, 1 goal
Windhanger, 13 disposals, 1 goal
Mclennan, 6 disposals, 1 goal

I don't know a lot about Owens and windhanger, where do they play?

McLennan is a mid size defender from memory

Good to see Peris have a good game
Yes, McLennan is a half back. Sandy coach describes him someone with terrific footy IQ and reads the play well from behind the ball.

I cant find anything about the others. Cal Twomey says the club is bullish about Winghanger whose returning from an ACL but thats about it.

This might explain why we didn't pick up any kids late in the draft or as rookies. With the mid season draft and having so many potential academy picks, we might have thought it was worth waiting to see them play some footy before committing to some late picks off nothing

This kid sounds the most likely to go inside the first round of all the key defenders. Has pushed forward this year though but can obviously play either end

Rhett Bazzo

Club: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Position: Key Defender

Size: 194cm, 74kg

Foxfooty.com.au says: Bazzo turns 18 in October, with clubs hoping there’s plenty of development left in the tall. His intercept marking is exceptional and he will be one of the first few West Australians called out on draft night.
Pardon the intrusion if it’s a key defender that you blokes are looking for keep an eye on josh gibcus 195cm plays for GWVR in nab league and has bolted up draft boards. Bazzo is more of a forward now as well.

Pardon the intrusion if it’s a key defender that you blokes are looking for keep an eye on josh gibcus 195cm plays for GWVR in nab league and has bolted up draft boards. Bazzo is more of a forward now as well.
Thanks mate, yeah I've read a lot about Gibcus since that post. Seems a likely type.

Looks as though he had another good game on the weekend too with 9 marks and 5 rebounds 50's.

From 2 games back

St Kilda have a prospect in Next-Generation Academy chance Scott Beilby. Impressing for Oakleigh across half-back, Beilby was lively, demonstrating high end pace and chase down tackling; he was also intercepting everything. Beilby collected 12 disposals and seven marks (two contested), in a high impact per possession showing.

Have the AFL changed the rules in relation to matching bids for academy players?

I read somewhere that if an academy player is selected on draft night in the top 20 then the bid can’t be matched. Not sure if that was a proposal or an actual change.

Do we have any potential academy lads that could be drafted in the top 20?

Have the AFL changed the rules in relation to matching bids for academy players?

I read somewhere that if an academy player is selected on draft night in the top 20 then the bid can’t be matched. Not sure if that was a proposal or an actual change.

Do we have any potential academy lads that could be drafted in the top 20?
I don't think any of ours are top 20 prospects. More later options.

They changed it after the pick 1 debacle last year. Next year, bids will only be able to happen for NGA players after pick 40. The Northern academies and father sons will still be able to be bid on anywhere in the draft.

I don't think any of ours are top 20 prospects. More later options.

They changed it after the pick 1 debacle last year. Next year, bids will only be able to happen for NGA players after pick 40. The Northern academies and father sons will still be able to be bid on anywhere in the draft.

Thanks mate. Are any of these lads likely top 40 picks?

The deck is still loaded in favour of the clubs with the Northern Academies, especially the Swans and Lions. They have first option on both their academy players and Father/Sons, while being able to draft freely in the other traditional football states. It’s so unfair. Sorry I’m off topic, but felt like that little rant.

Just our luck some of these lads will end up being top 40 picks. That seems a little high considering the generosity of the rules for the Northern Academies. Should be top 20.

Thanks mate. Are any of these lads likely top 40 picks?

The deck is still loaded in favour of the clubs with the Northern Academies, especially the Swans and Lions. They have first option on both their academy players and Father/Sons, while being able to draft freely in the other traditional football states. It’s so unfair. Sorry I’m off topic, but felt like that little rant.

Just our luck some of these lads will end up being top 40 picks. That seems a little high considering the generosity of the rules for the Northern Academies. Should be top 20.
Not sure about their draft range at this stage. Scott Beilby is the one who has been mentioned in a few of the draft central write ups so I'm guessing he's the most likely at this stage. This year we can match anyone drafted after pick 20, it is the 2022 draft where the bids only happen after 40.

I agree, the AFL needs to tighten the rules around the discount those academies operate under. The discount should go - or at least in the first round - and they should have to match the bids using a draft pick from within the same rd rather than being able to load up on picks in the 30s and 40s to match a top 10 pick.

Josh Sinn
Captain of Vic Metro's Under-16 premiership winning group, Sinn looks at his most damaging across half-back. Sinn generates drive from defence with his run and carry and clean ball use on his left foot, but while he is most recognised for this, he can push up through the midfield in either an outside or inside role. Sinn can win some of his own ball, but it's his outside run and endurance that stand out most.

Tyler Sonsie
The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the very best kicks inside 50 in this year's draft pool, his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure are his points of difference. Sonsie is a smart footballer who combines his skills with line-breaking capabilities.

Campbell Chesser
A speedy half-back flanker, Chesser generates substantial drive from defence and on the outside with his run and penetrating kick. Chesser combines this with intercepting capabilities. While looking most comfortable across half-back at this stage, it is expected that we see Chesser looking to develop his ball winning capabilities this year so that he can push through the midfield more.

How are the midfielders sizes these days. Ned Long 192cm 88kgs, Josh Goater 190cm. That was a ruckman in the olden days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are the midfielders sizes these days. Ned Long 192cm 88kgs, Josh Goater 190cm. That was a ruckman in the olden days.
The kids just keep getting bigger every year. It's a trend to stay on top of, but on the flip side you see kids like Gulden slip outside the 1st round.
We're in a happy medium kind of zone with our guys but also perhaps a bit same same too.
I'd like a 192+ young mid developing for the future.
Wave goodbye to Ross, Dunny and Lones then throw everything into a couple of picks in the 1st round.

We should get a ruck in the mid season draft and the best of the rest available.
With some NGA kids to fill the late round quota, it's time to move up the order and get some real cream..

The kids just keep getting bigger every year. It's a trend to stay on top of, but on the flip side you see kids like Gulden slip outside the 1st round.
We're in a happy medium kind of zone with our guys but also perhaps a bit same same too.
I'd like a 192+ young mid developing for the future.
Wave goodbye to Ross, Dunny and Lones then throw everything into a couple of picks in the 1st round.

We should get a ruck in the mid season draft and the best of the rest available.
With some NGA kids to fill the late round quota, it's time to move up the order and get some real cream..

Don't be surprised if we don't take a ruck, no-one wants to develop them any more.

Weird when you consider that Grundy, nic Nat, gawn, marshall, ROB and Goldstein are the best rucks in the game and are all playing for the clubs that drafted them

Smaller lists means clubs would rather let them build up in other comps otherwise you are paying players to develop for 4 years. Some will be good enough to go early but I think we will see more state league rucks coming in around 23 to 25 years old.

They should get us a sum total of a single second rounder

Ross would get an early second round pick at least. His multiple B and Fs will bump up the FA compo. Dunstan would be a delisting, Jones probably a late second to mid third round pick. Ross and Billings probably both go if we don't start winning so could have some good picks.

Ross would get an early second round pick at least. His multiple B and Fs will bump up the FA compo. Dunstan would be a delisting, Jones probably a late second to mid third round pick. Ross and Billings probably both go if we don't start winning so could have some good picks.
I struggle to see Seb getting enough dollars to trigger an early second, perhaps after our 2nd or end of round 2.
Lonie a 3rd, and yeah Dunny would probably go the way of Jill.
It's doesn't look like he'll get much of a run this season which will make it 2 years out of the team. That's possibly terminal for his career..

Would Ross even get us a band 3 (2nd rounder)?

He is a shadow of his former self and band 3 is what the Crows got for Crouch.

I'd let him go for that. Start backing in Clark, Bytel and Byrnes to take his spot.

Letting Billings go for any less than band one is stupid and he won't get us that.

Can't see why we'd even mention trading Jones when he's our only mid with leg speed.

Edit: it was Lones not Jones. Don't see the point in delisting him. He's currently in our 22, ideally he becomes depth but what happens if we have 2 or 3 injuries up forward like we have down back?

We will have enough players to replace already and Lonie gets us nothing but a very late pick in a trade.

Dunstan will get delisted.

Last edited:
I struggle to see Seb getting enough dollars to trigger an early second, perhaps after our 2nd or end of round 2.
Lonie a 3rd, and yeah Dunny would probably go the way of Jill.
It's doesn't look like he'll get much of a run this season which will make it 2 years out of the team. That's possibly terminal for his career..

To get any player out you have to offer dollars. Seb is a guy who's a good player but lacks the top quality of the elite players. He's pretty much Crouch again. He'd probably rather say but if a club want him they'll have to pay up. It's why there are plenty of GOPs on big money now.He looks exactly the type to change hands. The guys like Bont, Kelly etc are too valuable to lose but clubs will come and when they can't get blue chips stocks they'll grab some brown chip ones instead. Billings too. Probably cost $400,000 less than a top flight player and a lt easier to shake loose.

Would Ross even get us a band 3 (2nd rounder)?

He is a shadow of his former self and band 3 is what the Crows got for Crouch.

I'd let him go for that. Start backing in Clark, Bytel and Byrnes to take his spot.

Letting Billings go for any less than band one is stupid and he won't get us that.

Can't see why we'd even mention trading Jones when he's our only mid with leg speed.

Edit: it was Lones not Jones. Don't see the point in delisting him. He's currently in our 22, ideally he becomes depth but what happens if we have 2 or 3 injuries up forward like we have down back?

We will have enough players to replace already and Lonie gets us nothing but a very late pick in a trade.

Dunstan will get delisted.

Lones was what I wrote but spellcheck doesn't know him. Jones would probably get more than that.

Billings probably wants out if we don't improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back