Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane Corne said:
“They could easily beat Adelaide this week, but I would argue that does them more harm than good because once again they‘ll say, ’Geez, we’re not bad, we knocked off a top-eight side’, but they need to realise exactly where they’re at.”

Wow, the hubris.

Clarko has no idea where the team is really at...but, somehow, Kane does...

Blah, blah, blah, the opinion business

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
If we had pitto instead of ceglar we wouldn’t be in a position where we had to give a three year contract to an inconsistent ruckman who is apparently past his prime. So what if pitts wasn’t going to be a star. Reliable depth at worst.

Exactly. He could have at least been reliable depth for years to come if we couldn't get a reasonable pick off someone.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Wow, the hubris.

Clarko has no idea where the team is really at...but, somehow, Kane does...

Blah, blah, blah, the opinion business

In fairness Clarko had only recently acknowledged the idea that we are actually rebuilding as a team. Most, including Cornes, could see where we were at last year.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In fairness Clarko had only recently acknowledged the idea that we are actually rebuilding as a team. Most, including Cornes, could see where we were at last year.
Sorry what, So the first time it crossed Clarkson's mind he mentioned it to the public, is that what you actually think?

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Sorry what, So the first time it crossed Clarkson's mind he mentioned it to the public, is that what you actually think?

I think you know exactly what I meant.

The was talk of us challenging last year, when essentially everyone had written us off coming in to the season. Or do you believe he said that but thought something else completely, and then if so, why did he now acknowledge that we are in a rebuilding phase?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Regardless, he's still better than Ceglar. At worst we could have tried to develop him further and if Reeves came through the ranks then so be it, we would have been able to get more in a trade for Pitto.

We may have been able to get a reasonable pick for Ceglar at the time too.

‘so ‘playing the kids’ to plump them for a better draft pick? Why not use the original pick for a mature ruck?

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Please explain why you want to axe Morris.

Please use one or two examples, not just generalisation.

I can still remember 2004 and that side was far worse than this current one.
Saw almost every game that season . We were that bad we used to joke half seriously the local comps powerhouse ( Vermont) could roll us .
Poor team and poorly coached with no organisation .
Sitting near the fence some of the play was laughable if not embarrasing.

This seasons side would simple outwork them and win by 5-6 goals , even without a forwardline.

Saw almost every game that season . We were that bad we used to joke half seriously the local comps powerhouse ( Vermont) could roll us .
Poor team and poorly coached with no organisation .
Sitting near the fence some of the play was laughable if not embarrasing.

This seasons side would simple outwork them and win by 5-6 goals , even without a forwardline.
Yep.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We also had Brennan, Ries, Ball and Lonie. I'm prepared to still give this side the benefit of the doubt until we have such cringingly bad performances like the ones we put in against North, the crows, Geelong and the two against Port.
For sure, though I’m not sure we will be speaking glowingly of Nash, Howe, TOB etc in 15 years. It’s of no consequence of course. We were ordinary then (with bigger structural club-wide issues) and we are ordinary now. We got it perfectly right that time on the rebuild. We can’t expect or really even hope for the same this time but I would be happy to get it 1/4 as right (id take one flag, can’t be greedy expecting 4!)

Looking at our fixture before round 1, I would have taken 1-4. At best 2-3.

My views on the list and where we are at haven't changed
Seems to be getting lost by those in this thread who were telling us in January that we’d be lucky to win a game in our first 6 weeks.

They also said it wasn’t about the wins, as long as they could see the youngsters develop.

But now that they’ve seen CJ, Brockman, Moore, Morrison, Scrim and Kosi get games and take steps forward, it’s not actually enough.

But they’re not impatient, no way. Not at all.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems to be getting lost by those in this thread who were telling us in January that we’d be lucky to win a game in our first 6 weeks.

They also said it wasn’t about the wins, as long as they could see the youngsters develop.

But now that they’ve seen CJ, Brockman, Moore, Morrison and Kosi get games and take steps forward, it’s not actually enough.

I'm really happy with how our young players have performed, CJ has legit claims to have his name in AA discussions, Brockman is pulling up numbers that rival Daniel Rioli, Hardwick and Morrison have returned to their best form. Reeves and Jeka serious big improvers, Day was looking the best player from his draft year before injury.

But now that they’ve seen CJ, Brockman, Moore, Morrison and Kosi get games and take steps forward, it’s not actually enough.

You're forgetting Hanrahan and Scrimshaw.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its been a recurring pattern the last 3 years.

We play defensive, safe footy for the majority of the season and scrape together the odd win here and there.

And then towards the end of the season when it doesn't really matter (in fact at a time when losing would actually be more beneficial) we flick the switch and go all out attack and what do you know we start to look really good and win well.

I really don't want to watch another 12 or so rounds of the current style, it's the equivalent of being forced to watch parliment question time on the ABC.
Couldn’t agree more! Feels like ground hog day

What round do we think Clarko will take the hand brake off the team and let them play with some attacking flair?

I hope it’s not when we are in dire straits and the season is completely cooked.

Our playing style is very poor to watch and connecting from HB to HF almost non existent as we try and play safe football with short chip style play around the boundary line.
It's usually shortly after playing finals becomes impossible.

1618911128475.png

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll just say again, Pitto was crap last week and was well beaten by Lycett.

You really don't know why Ceglar and McEcoy have played in the same team?

It's one game...he's done ok at the Blues. Better than Ceglar has at Hawks. The whole thing is just a blunder

McEvoy has been a great warrior and best choice at skipper, but to hand back the number 1 ruck spot now? You can see age has caught up with him.

We run with 2 rucks all year to date and get little return. Literally how many goals has Ceglar kicked while resting fwd? and then when we come up against the best oppo ruck in the comp, we drop back to 1 ruckman...

I think you know exactly what I meant.

The was talk of us challenging last year, when essentially everyone had written us off coming in to the season. Or do you believe he said that but thought something else completely, and then if so, why did he now acknowledge that we are in a rebuilding phase?
Actually most of us were pretty optimistic going into last year. We finished 2019 strongly and if you look at what the experts were saying, at least half in this poll had us in the 8:

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we had pitto instead of ceglar we wouldn’t be in a position where we had to give a three year contract to an inconsistent ruckman who is apparently past his prime. So what if pitts wasn’t going to be a star. Reliable depth at worst.
Thats what Ceglar and Brookie are, depth ruckmen. Pittonet being average is being kind, he's a 200cm ruckmen that can't kick, can't mark and if the ball goes to ground he's useless and covers the ground worse than Mumford does now. Having him at Boxhill would only mess with the devlopment of Reeves.

I'd still take Ceglar over him.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thats what Ceglar and Brookie are, depth ruckmen. Pittonet being average is being kind, he's a 200cm ruckmen that can't kick, can't mark and if the ball goes to ground he's useless and covers the ground worse than Mumford does now. Having him at Boxhill would only mess with the devlopment of Reeves.

I'd still take Ceglar over him.
Ceglar is depth with downside and horribly inconsistent. His best is far better than pitts but he seldom gets there anymore. Pitts is consistent even if limited.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ceglar is depth with downside and horribly inconsistent. His best is far better than pitts but he seldom gets there anymore. Pitts is consistent even if limited.
Ceglar when not in use can still play forward at Boxhill and let Reeves ruck, Pittonet can play ruck only. Both would/are only buying time until we find the next Ruck, least with Ceglar Reeves can be the number one ruck.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ceglar when not in use can still play forward at Boxhill and let Reeves ruck, Pittonet can play ruck only. Both would/are only buying time until we find the next Ruck, least with Ceglar Reeves can be the number one ruck.

Cegs a popular club man, i'm sure that had something to do with him getting signed on. Going back to what others have said, the ruthlessness with list management is a thing of the past. Reeves was nobody when that deal was done and the idea and promise to Cegs was that he'd be first choice ruck and Big Boy would play back....it just didn't pan out

little hawk gmf

Senior List
Apr 20, 2008
Hawkland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm really happy with how our young players have performed, CJ has legit claims to have his name in AA discussions, Brockman is pulling up numbers that rival Daniel Rioli, Hardwick and Morrison have returned to their best form. Reeves and Jeka serious big improvers, Day was looking the best player from his draft year before injury.

CJ has been fantastic and is great to watch. Day has been great also BUT Pick 1 (Rowell) and 3 (Jackson) from that draft I would swap in a heart beat and also the pick before - Pickett. Lets not get too ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back