Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
We definitely need some size in the midfield. Sonsie looks amazing. But he's bang on the size of everyone else in there, albeit with more silk and pace.

I've not looked at the rest of the mids in the 2021 draft, but we need someone that can develop into a howe sized frame. Hawthorn has too many 180 and below types. While that is technically not terrible, unless the next one we draft is a proven, super elite midfield prospect like Rowell was, it's just not worth it to draft another jockey to run around in there imo.

On another note, Horne looks like the second coming of Gary Ablett Sr. almost.

If we got him, you wouldn't even mind if we didn't pick up anyone else.
We do need some size in the middle but that doesn't have to come at pick 2

Sonsie's size may be a concern in relation to him translating his abilities into a star senior footballer.

But plenty of smaller midfielders have made that transition, and if this season is showing us anything it's that big, slow midfielders are struggling more than they have in the past (Cripps is the prime example).

If Sonsie is clean, quick and skilled and legitimately the next best midfielder after Horne and Daicos then we must get him.

If Finn develops like we hope then we will have a big bodied midfielder in there with him for years to come.

*** I haven't watched him play at all. But the thing that was impressing me was that he was getting big stats even compared to Horne and others - unless I missed something. Obviously doesn't take into account competition comparisons either.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. No Eddie to lobby for them so hopefully they get screwed. Don't think they will find it hard to cut 5 players from what they currently have based on talent. Not sure about contracting though.

Careful what you wish for.

Eddie has been one of the only voices pointing out the ridiculous advantages the northern academies are, especially for Sydney

Sonsie's size may be a concern in relation to him translating his abilities into a star senior footballer.

But plenty of smaller midfielders have made that transition, and if this season is showing us anything it's that big, slow midfielders are struggling more than they have in the past (Cripps is the prime example).

If Sonsie is clean, quick and skilled and legitimately the next best midfielder after Horne and Daicos then we must get him.

If Finn develops like we hope then we will have a big bodied midfielder in there with him for years to come.

*** I haven't watched him play at all. But the thing that was impressing me was that he was getting big stats even compared to Horne and others - unless I missed something. Obviously doesn't take into account competition comparisons either.
Yeh I think Horne plays seniors and sonsie in the NAB league so not really comparable.

I think you are spot on about recruiters reevaluating how they weight different abilities given the rule changes.

I was big on here arguing for Phillips, but had I known about the rule changes removing congestion etc., I would have been far more skeptical about him as a prospect. In that note... Does anyone know when the rule changes were announced? Was it before the draft?

I have watched and won't watch any U18s but I would be keen on anyone who has good speed, agility and balance at stoppages and can go either left or right foot. This sounds like Daicos and Sonsie from what I've read... Any others out there fit this profile?

We do need some size in the middle but that doesn't have to come at pick 2

This is true, but the further up the order the size comes... then theoretically the better it's going to be used.

Horne is a case in point. That guy looks like Ablett to me. Playing against grown men and looking like he's the fastest, most powerful guy in many contests in his highlight reel.

If two guys are equally talented, fast, with similar level personality traits, we have to go for the bigger body at this point I'd suggest.

We get monstered at the centre bounces every so often, by bigger, stronger and faster bodies.

We have too many 180-185ish cm types who are a little ploddy. Footy has moved on from that unless the talent is super high level. The Brad Sewell types (who I loved just to be clear) are going to become less common now the game has sped up and is nearing its logical conclusion of basketball/soccer style transition play and team defence.

Got to take the best available. Ideally someone with speed and skill. The more speed and skill we have the better.

A Victorian schoolboy giant - likened to Max and Ben King - could be picked up in this this year’s mid-season draft, prompting frustration from interstate clubs.

Jumping Jacob Edwards, an athletic 202-centimetre ruck/forward, looms as the likely first pick in this year’s mid-season draft, after being overlooked in the national draft.

The 18-year-old has had some recruiters salivating with his rare ability to ruck with both his left and right hands and has been pushing forward and kicking goals.

Edwards has already been interviewed by Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn.

“He’s a bit like the King boys, Max and Ben,” Wheeler said.

“He’s definitely a ruck because of his leap and hands on the ball, but they need to be able to play a secondary position. His hands on the ball are actually unbelievable.”

A Victorian schoolboy giant - likened to Max and Ben King - could be picked up in this this year’s mid-season draft, prompting frustration from interstate clubs.

Jumping Jacob Edwards, an athletic 202-centimetre ruck/forward, looms as the likely first pick in this year’s mid-season draft, after being overlooked in the national draft.

The 18-year-old has had some recruiters salivating with his rare ability to ruck with both his left and right hands and has been pushing forward and kicking goals.

“He’s definitely a ruck because of his leap and hands on the ball, but they need to be able to play a secondary position. His hands on the ball are actually unbelievable.”

78kgs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love it- I think he'd be a great pick and were we to get him in I can see Reeves getting senior opportunities earlier so he can take over the #1 ruck role sooner with Edwards developing.
Love the idea of:
Primary ruck, secondary ruck
Big Boy, Ceglar
Big Boy, Reeves
Reeves, Edwards

There's going to be some real gold in this years mid season draft
Yes, there’s a few kids already putting their hand up. The 4 weeks NAB league break is bloody annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back