Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not arguing with you, Harry Potter, I cbf’d you know your sh*t when it comes to the VFL.

WWalker a late scratching on Vets advice.

We only wasted pick 21 on the kid, he’s upright, I’d be throwing him in and seeing what he can do before he injured himself again personally.
And he may yet get the last ditch, 'show us what you've got game', but imo, we'd be at the stage where we're scratching to field a side due to injuries. Hope I'm wrong for his sake

Bit harsh you two? When was the last time we had ANY first year players suiting up in the centre? And on the flip side re: KT, the coaching staff have found a productive role for a seasoned player that partly covers his limitations in the F50. A win-win imo

Perhaps a bit harsh, however I personally think Phillips would benefit from more time in the middle, then he is currently getting. Going into his third game I think he’s ready to step up from 5 CBA’s. Powell is more comfortable on a flank/wing then WP, so I’m less concerned about his.

Turner has been solid as a tagger, however I’m not getting carried away. Laird still had 31 & Selwood is a shadow of himself.

I’ll hold off until a fit LDU plays. It will irk me if he has less CBA’s then Turner, I just don’t see any excuse for that.

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed with the numbers for Phillips and Powell, but especially Philips. Good to see TT and even Kyron at least getting a taste. Really not sure we needed Turner in there that often, Selwood only attended 8 centre bounces.

With Cunnington and Simpkin taking the majority of the centre bounces and having the tap directed towards them, what you are asking of the third mid is to block and defend and tackle and even get in the way of the opposition ruckman. I'm okay with Will Phillips NOT doing that too many times this year.

Wayne Carey took a one handed mark against the Bulldogs in 2000 and missed from almost directly in front. We lose the game by 4 points. A win puts us in 3rd and a 1st round match up against Carlton and a better chance for a week off.

I think 5 were dropped/managed, 2 injury but I do get your point OF. I was factoring in the 6-day break and long road trip and thought some fresh legs might be in order.

Mahony hasn’t reached that level, his disposal and decision making is very poor this season compared to last. Spicer might be able to get into some space and be hit in the AFL side, on a firm track.

I’m clutching at straws mate haha

I would be throwing the deck chairs around forward of centre to see if we can find a winner or three.

We are all clutching.

in the perfect world were we had an injury list that much shorter or not to key specific senior players. We would be cycling players back through the VFL.

We are limited now in how we do it. I mean we still will but its hamstrung.

After the players were cut last year, after the Higgins and Brown trades we had removed some of the backstops of punching above our weight.

We have 7 blokes right now who would be likely considered best 22 injured. You add half 4 of those back in and then the grind is on more senior shoulders.

Then we are more able to give players a taste and rotate them through and set standards around underperformance and the like, but that isn't reality.

Let's take Bailey Scott as an example. I posted in his thread. 3 preseasons under 3 coaches with 3 different styles. This kid could probably do with a stint in the twos. Its pretty unlikely that he's gonna get it.

It doesn't make him a bad player, it makes him a kid who needs development and is having to undertake that development at senior level. where everything is under more pressure and a greater microscope.

Rinse and repeat for a bunch of our kids.

Wayne Carey took a one handed mark against the Bulldogs in 2000 and missed from almost directly in front. We lose the game by 4 points. A win puts us in 3rd and a 1st round match up against Carlton and a better chance for a week off.

Are you telling me we could have made the GF and been flogged by * on GF Day instead?

I thought Chris Scott would give him votes for sure.

He set up a lot of Geelong shots at goal with his hack kicking out of defence.
I'm more surprised Kyron didn't, Chris mate, he was trying to clear out the garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've all seen kyron play back and excell too. How quickly people forget last year...

Yep, Had some good games last year. A few not so good too, but he's young, has bugger all senior experience, and has had multiple serious injuries to contend with. He has a lot of very good attributes, but bad form can strike anyone and in a team dearth of experience and top end competitiveness a lot of players are being exposed and thusly suffering for it.

It was also just this year in the pre season that he played predominantly in the middle and was fantastic. He clearly still has a lot to offer.

Can't help but be a bit frustrated that KT is getting 14 CBA's whilst Powell, Phillips, TT & Hayden are only getting 13 between them.

Seems like a missed opportunity with LDU, Anderson & Dumont out of the side tbh.

I think KTs numbers for CBAs are a bit inflated due to tagging Joel Selwood and following him in there? More of a role thing, more than anything else, and one that he executed really well I reckon.

I think KTs numbers for CBAs are a bit inflated due to tagging Joel Selwood and following him in there? More of a role thing, more than anything else, and one that he executed really well I reckon.
He had 6 more CBAs than Selwood, so I assume they just gave him a slightly more generalised job for large swathes of the game.

Is everyone dilberately ignoring the fact that if Shaun Atley had ONE of the moments Carey made absolutely routine in a game this board would crash the bigfooty server? (His goal on the run against Richmond in Hobart and the left foot sealer against Sydney in a SF sort of count... Maybe)

Well it would.

It would allow him to develop physically and fully express himself against men on ball.

Not saying he isn't AFL capable as he clearly is. But he would benefit from the ability to play at VFL level at times this year. As it stands he won't get that opportunity whilst we have so many seniors injured.

We wait twenty years for a mid to come in ready to play and contribute. We finally find one and people want to send him back to the twos. Amazing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is everyone dilberately ignoring the fact that if Shaun Atley had ONE of the moments Carey made absolutely routine in a game this board would crash the bigfooty server? (His goal on the run against Richmond in Hobart and the left foot sealer against Sydney in a SF sort of count... Maybe)
It's actually pretty funny that there is a genuine discussion going on comparing Wayne Carey and Shaun Atley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back