Preview Round 6: Collingwood vs Essendon, MCG, ANZAC DAY, Sunday 25/04/2021 @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring Ambrose in. Dgaf how underdone he is. We need reinforcements down back after the way we were manhandled last week. Better off getting match conditioning in the seniors chasing spuds like Darcy Cameron than playing VFL.

Where’s our Tuesday injury wrap? Is there something to be concerned about here?

I like Harry Jones but lets be honest, he's not offering anything to the side at this stage

With Howe being a potential out, the obvious choice is to drop Jones for Phillips who had some success against grundy last year, send 2MP forward and stretch them thin down back
Agree with your point but, the experience of him playing Anzac Day could be more beneficial down the track.
I think Phillips and 2MP must play.

B Redman Reid Laverde
HB Heppell Francis Hind
C Merrett Parish Cox
HF Langford Jones Snelling
FF Tippa Hooker Stringer
R Phillips Perkins McGrath
INT Smith Ham Waterman Wright
SUB Guelfi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like that, yes. Hope Bryan gets a go soon whilst Draper is out but would go with Flip given up against Grundy. Bit harsh to put a guy on debut against Grundy.
I mean he struggled against beanpole English and 35 yo martin

KEEP PLAYING THE KIDS

players 28+ should only play when all kid resources are exhausted.

Keep playing 'em so they get a head start ahead of '22 as most only played school footy last year.

Will save 12 months in the timeline of "rehashing" the list (not that other R word).

Look at what Lions did with Hipwood, The Suitcase, Berry, Rayner etc. KEEP PLAYING THE KIDS

Dropping him after 3 difficult interstate games in 5 rounds won't do him any good, especially just as we start an easier month of our fixture. I'd give him until round 10 at least and re-consider his form before the West Coast game.
I never said this week as a lock to be dropped but I do not agree with letting him have 5 or 6 sub 10 possession games in a row without any impact. If he plays well this week then he keeps his spot. As for the wont do him any good comment. Jordan Ridley. Did not hurt him being dropped from the side. It is irrelevant where the games where played other than the wet game was never going to see him find a massive amount of form.
Form is form. Five games is a decent run if it happens to be this week. I hope he kicks 2 or 3 this week and holds his spot but it is certainly not the end of the world if they dropped him back to the VFL and it will make zero difference in his long term development.

KEEP PLAYING THE KIDS

players 28+ should only play when all kid resources are exhausted.

Keep playing 'em so they get a head start ahead of '22 as most only played school footy last year.

Will save 12 months in the timeline of "rehashing" the list (not that other R word).

Look at what Lions did with Hipwood, The Suitcase, Berry, Rayner etc. KEEP PLAYING THE KIDS
Hipwood only played 10 games in his first year and did not debut until round 13. Not like they fell over themselves to play him straight away.
All the players you mentioned came into the side in various years and we have done exactly the same with McGrath , Parish , Heppell back in the day.
Nothing different.

Also agree with ant555 re Harry Jones.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Jones a spell in the 2s at some stage just so that he can have a run around, get his hands on the ball 15 to 20 times and have his 4 shots on goal. He hasn't even said he'd drop Jones this week, by the way, it's not really part of the discussions.

Another 2 to 4 weeks of low possession, thankless/largely fruitless hard work and it will be time for a spell. It keeps him fresh and helps with the sort of hit your confidence must take as a young key forward when you're not scoring.

There is a difference between managing young players at a point at which they are not ready for 22 games a year and failing to give them opportunities which resulted in a scenario such as Ridley playing 9 games in his first 3 years (and ant555 wont like that example).

I'd like to see Jones play out the next fortnight with two MCG games given he's a leading player. If he's still single digit disposals, then give him a spell in the two's to get a form-line together.

Otherwise apart from bringing in one of Phillips or Bryan for Ridley to help in the ruck against Grundy I'm not sure we should be making too many changes. Effort was solid enough against Brisbane, just lacking in execution.

Guelfi is one who could come in to the side, but without other changes that would mean Wright playing one-out against Grundy which could get ugly - or could be the making of Wright.

Re: dropping H

Im on the fence, because I think he's been great, and I think he should get as much exposure as possible, but at the same time, a couple of games in the VFL to give him a bit of confidence may also help. We shouldn't just force him to play AFL for the sake of 'playing the kids'. They all need he right exposure and if that means playing in the vfl for a little bit then so be it.

All for playing the kids but you still need experienced players around to give them confidence. Don't want them smashed pillar to post either.

Bringing a couple of senior players in for a win would boost the kids as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back