Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Pickett is a quality player....his laconic style seems to attract haters because they think he looks lazy....has time....works very hard ( even if it doesn’t look like it) ..I like him a lot

I can't get over how much of an upgrade he is over ellis #winning

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Been a bit of hater but that stint in the ruck won me over completely. With Marlion the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.
What that goal from outside 50 that went like 65m and then some didn’t impress you much , he’s got a leg like a bloody howitzer has marls

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I am still surprised by how often Pickett can to get to a contest, make a tackle, etc when it looks like he is too far away. Goes again and again, hits hard, kicks goals and now rucks. Reckon he will get full votes from the B&F panel for the Saints game. Thought he was very very good.

I have a feeling Marlion is finding his feet at AFL level. He has some issues, but lots of good aspects. He's starting to play to his strengths more. And the club is playing him to his strengths better. Reckon he's a good first 22 player. And the ruck stint should become a regular gig when the oppo ruck is tired. He's a real good value player.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a feeling Marlion is finding his feet at AFL level. He has some issues, but lots of good aspects. He's starting to play to his strengths more. And the club is playing him to his strengths better. Reckon he's a good first 22 player. And the ruck stint should become a regular gig when the oppo ruck is tired. He's a real good value player.
Agree. He makes some simple mistakes like most players adjusting to the game, he has only played one season in essence, but he does everything well, but sometimes makes mistakes. He is quick and agile, hard as nails, great balance, great hands, reasonable overhead. Has all the attributes, but just needs to find his place. Remember when Edwards couldn't hit the side of a barn by foot, now he's close to our best kick. Pickett will get better and better I think.

Agree. He makes some simple mistakes like most players adjusting to the game, he has only played one season in essence, but he does everything well, but sometimes makes mistakes. He is quick and agile, hard as nails, great balance, great hands, reasonable overhead. Has all the attributes, but just needs to find his place. Remember when Edwards couldn't hit the side of a barn by foot, now he's close to our best kick. Pickett will get better and better I think.

Couldn't agree more.

He is not a Shedda type, clean and brilliant. He's a hard at it, athletic type, with good instincts and skills and who hits like a run away train.

It's interesting that quite often he takes the tall down back. They obviously know his leap and hardness, so hope he can use those traits to cover for others. It causes people to get angry with him when he can't beat the oppo KPF. But he is deliberately used in a way that puts him in these mismatches. I see that as the club backing our system in and seeing Marlion as someone who can deal with a mismatch better than most. That's pretty high praise from the coach if I'm right. We've certainly seen that given room to move he is very capable in those mismatches (e.g. ruck). He's absolutely no flash in the pan.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Couldn't agree more.

He is not a Shedda type, clean and brilliant. He's a hard at it, athletic type, with good instincts and skills and who hits like a run away train.

It's interesting that quite often he takes the tall down back. They obviously know his leap and hardness, so hope he can use those traits to cover for others. It causes people to get angry with him when he can't beat the oppo KPF. But he is deliberately used in a way that puts him in these mismatches. I see that as the club backing our system in and seeing Marlion as someone who can deal with a mismatch better than most. That's pretty high praise from the coach if I'm right. We've certainly seen that given room to move he is very capable in those mismatches (e.g. ruck). He's absolutely no flash in the pan.
That is true, but even still I don't think he is suited to down back, much better as an attacking type, wing/mid.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
That is true, but even still I don't think he is suited to down back, much better as an attacking type, wing/mid.
I prefer Pickett on the wing. Been playing consistent Footy since day 1. The ruck contest wins were great athleticism. But I wouldn't want that as a ruck strategy for the year. Bolton is an amazing leap too. Don't want him taking centre ruck contests. Play CJ. See how that ruck combo goes

Do people forget how important Pickett was for us in turning around our 2020 season.

Him and Kmac made those wings their own.
Kmac and Pickett are great on the wings, they are both big boys but can also run all day
Makes it difficult for opposition teams to put a smaller midfield out on the wings because it creates a mis match in marking contests as well

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep quite similar to Macca in playing within their limitations , both run both ways , as fit AF and can really unload i50 not entirely dependent on a laser guided missile, more like a howitzer from downtown

PaulBulluss

Debutant
Apr 10, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
What that goal from outside 50 that went like 65m and then some didn’t impress you much , he’s got a leg like a bloody howitzer has marls
Lol that was the nice. However, I think he needs to work on his field kicking. I haven't looked at the stats but he seems to cough it up a lot and his kicks seem a bit too flat.

I'm nit-picking, I know. :D

Couldn't agree more.

I guess that without Vlas we are using Marlion to fill a hole. But when you see him against someone 10cm taller it's often not good. They cause contact and he can't jump properly = mark and often goal. We blame Marlion. But why was he there in the first place? I'd rather us have someone more suited to that role. But maybe I just don't understand our defensive set ups and the trade offs properly.

I like Marlion to have a bit more room to move, cause he isn't a one touch player really.

Pickett not my liking in defense, he tends to drift in and out of plays and can sometimes forget to put body on his opponent.
But apart from that his closing speed is excellent and he is dangerous around goal. play him at CHF instead :)

Drop JR for Pickett. Or just move Jack out to the mids and let Marlion play his natural role at CHF. Sounds like a cunning plan. :cool:

Some of his kicks over the last year have been "grab it and hack it forward cos i'm running at full speed close to the boundary with someone an inch behind me"
(This was my speciality too btw but I digress)
It looks like he's a better kick than we realised, and we're seeing it now

It's almost like he's learning how to be an AFL player as he gains AFL experience. Whilst winning 2 premierships on the way. :cool:

Back