Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

We really should consider this his first year after last years wipeout of the VFL.
Sure he has fitness and skill, but match day performance is something very different.
I have no doubt he will get a game when he is ready for it.

We really should consider this his first year after last years wipeout of the VFL.
Sure he has fitness and skill, but match day performance is something very different.
I have no doubt he will get a game when he is ready for it.
I think Day’s and Worpels meteoric rise has put high expectations on him. Brockman sliding into seniors hasn’t helped either, especially after the COVID fiasco in his draft year. Downie “debuted” as well.

Lack of opportunity isn’t only driven by the club ..... unfortunately can be picked up by other clubs. JK must have been seriously stupid as well? Tell you what’s more stupid JK was behind some handy players at the time but imagine sitting behind the likes of Howe in a bottom 4 team! Give the kid a chance.
The Kennedy analogy is a really poor one. He was behind a bunch of all time greats who had years left in them.

We now have a bottom 4 midfield and as you say it’s guys like Howe ahead of him. If he has any self belief he should back himself to work his way in ahead of someone like Howe or an old Shiels. It’s not Hodge, Mitchell or Lewis he has to displace

The reality is that right now he has not done enough to warrant selection, even in a weak midfield. He’s developing. He would not be getting more opportunity elsewhere because almost every other club has a stronger midfield

I like how on one thread we are worried that Maginness will be Kennedy MK2 but on another thread we want to trade Worpel.
Our mids are the new Breust and Gunston. Get prepared for posters wanting to trade one of Mitchell o’meara worpel every season 😂

Finn sits behind Howe ...... surely the club have got this wrong because Howe has been average for a number of years.

In the best last weekend and doing what the coaches have asked of him in other games. Straight swap for Howe. Nothing to lose but plenty to gain for the future. Rotate him at times through the middle could really help our current midfield woes.

Finn sits behind Howe ...... surely the club have got this wrong because Howe has been average for a number of years.

In the best last weekend and doing what the coaches have asked of him in other games. Straight swap for Howe. Nothing to lose but plenty to gain for the future. Rotate him at times through the middle could really help our current midfield woes.

The crusade continues

Would be nice but I can't see it happening. Am really intrigued to see the writeups for that game though as I was surprised to see Finn in the best given he wasn't mentioned in the match day report

I think we've been pretty good historically at not losing players we haven't wanted to lose. None of them have gone out to other clubs and had success. I'm thinking of players like Hartung, Hallahan, Lowden

Pitto is one we wanted to keep, that is our recent blunder. Maginness is a long way away from that situation

If we had keep Pitto would be have taken on Reeves which so far looks a better player.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m very happy with his game on the weekend. Physically he looks ready, covered 14.8 km and was insanely strong while being tackled. Not the quickest but certainly not slow and just keeps running and running.

Took him a little time to work into the game which is to be expected, given it’s his 3rd AFL game and he only played a half last week. 2nd half he looked to come into his own a lot more, using his running power and kicking the ball.

He fared pretty well in the centre with 2 centre clearances same as Mitchell but he would have had way less cba’s. 12 possessions and 5 tackles his a good game. Especially after no touches in the first quarter and trying to play a tagging role when our midfield was getting crushed.

Still needs to pick up the pace of the game but can only do that while playing. Definitely needs to be given a run of games to see what he can do and to get him to believe he belongs at the level.

Developing nicely as that big body midfielder we need.

I fear he won't keep his spot with Chad, JOM and Burgoyne coming back, and Cousins having his best game of his career.

But I liked what I saw. Took a while to get into the game, but worked hard, tackled and will only be better for the run
No harm in another run at Box Hill. Clearly improved since his first performance so its not a huge deal if he gets omitted this week. As long as he keeps working on his craft and continues to make improvements, he will get his shot again.

Was interesting that Clarko said that Finn's tagging role on Steele was a gamble that didn't pay off. I wonder if he means because Jones got off the chain, or that the tag on Steele was ineffective?

We're at an interesting point with our midfield. Worpel a clear example of younger player asked to do a different role for the team's sake, but his output in his other roles is basically negligible compared to what you get when you put him on-ball. Cousins the same story, Finn also, it would appear - certainly at AFL level so far.

Would love to see Finn back playing on-ball at Box Hill. Cousins is ahead of him for senior selection, but he is certainly no world-beater. If Finn gets 30 touches, 10 clearances and a goal at Box Hill every week, he'll be in the senior side before long.

Was interesting that Clarko said that Finn's tagging role on Steele was a gamble that didn't pay off. I wonder if he means because Jones got off the chain, or that the tag on Steele was ineffective?

We're at an interesting point with our midfield. Worpel a clear example of younger player asked to do a different role for the team's sake, but his output in his other roles is basically negligible compared to what you get when you put him on-ball. Cousins the same story, Finn also, it would appear - certainly at AFL level so far.

Would love to see Finn back playing on-ball at Box Hill. Cousins is ahead of him for senior selection, but he is certainly no world-beater. If Finn gets 30 touches, 10 clearances and a goal at Box Hill every week, he'll be in the senior side before long.

Both. We were basically 3v4 in the centre square unfortunately because Finn couldn't disrupt him. Maybe he's better off disrupting a runner at AFL level rather than a clearance player because he can actually have the upper hand if he keeps up and makes it a contest.

If cousins can’t play another role than inside mid he will have a shot career. He isn’t an amazing ball winner like Mitchell, a cleanse machine or a deadly user of the ball.

Finn did well on hill and showed she can stand up in a tackle and feed out the ball. I think mostly he needs development to get the pace of the game and know when to stay and when to go. Frankly, Worpel is still working on that last part too.

If cousins can’t play another role than inside mid he will have a shot career. He isn’t an amazing ball winner like Mitchell, a cleanse machine or a deadly user of the ball.

Finn did well on hill and showed she can stand up in a tackle and feed out the ball. I think mostly he needs development to get the pace of the game and know when to stay and when to go. Frankly, Worpel is still working on that last part too.
Yes, I agree with you. Although I will say this about Cousins, Worpel and Finn: you never know what a drop of confidence will do. Players like Brad Sewell, Cam Guthrie, were seen to be limited disposal-wise early in their careers. Even Jarryd Lyons has managed to turn himself from a two-time reject into a crucial cog. In my opinion, it's just about giving them a chance to work to their strengths. Easy to forget that Tom Mitchell was seen to be somewhere around Worpel's level before he came to Hawthorn.

Cousins is a great character, but he is also the worst kick of the ball at the club - and hasn't improved this since he was drafted.
He should be marked for de-listing already.

Howe is very handy, but no real upside. He should only play if we have a need for him in the absence of one of TOM/JOM/Worpel
Maginness should be given games ahead of Howe and Cousins - he has more talent than both.
Same situation for Brockman - he has more talent and upside than Hanrahan and should be prioritised until his form deteriorates over 2-3 weeks - rest and return.

Cuz has developed and is a regular ball winner between wing and half forward. Whilst he isn't an AMAZING ball winner and very few are he has shown he can get to dangerous spots particularly when playing half forward. It just shits me he fumbles balls and shanks kicks because his reading of the play to get to position is above AFL standard. I am happy if we put games into him as I think it is easier to stop the fumbles and shanks than teach where to run.. and reportedly works his butt off on the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back