Preview Round 6 2021: Hawks v Crows, UTAS, Sunday 25th April @ 12:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost has been more of an issue than Hartigan. In general though, all of the backline has held up well considering the amount of ball that has been done there.

The backline is the least of our issues

Last edited:
Will Impey ever play in the midfield? I think he would excel playing as an inside/outside midfielder with his speed and skills.

Season average: 24 disposals - 6 marks - 3 tackles - 5 rebound 50s - 77% disposal efficiency
I agree, Clarko on the other hand, doesn’t seem to want any pace or flair in the middle. We will just keep trotting out the same one paced midfield and then Clarko will go on about other teams midfield depth, but won’t do anything about it.

Hartigan has had the honeymoon grace period, but needs to go. He was only brought in for depth but is a long way off it. Cant compete without grabbing at jumpers, he's fodder for half decent fwds
I think Timmy and Kozi actually competed last week, and although Nash couldn't get near it, provided some good contests, not sure who makes way for Lewis.
Get Cousins in for Sheils, and bring in Finn and let him do the Worpel tag job while Worp tries to rediscover his mofo at Box Hill
In :Lewis, Cousins, Maginness
Out: Worpel, Sheils, Hartigan
*One of O'brien/Kozi to play full back.
Actually thought Nash was non competitive when the ball came his way on the weekend... possibly gets another week as Clarko has blind faith in him..

1. I've lost track of the number of defenders posters on this site have wanted to throw out in their first year at the hawks. It takes time to learn a new system.
  2. He's done pretty well on a number of power forwards so far (eg. Hawkins, Lynch). Who else would you suggest takes these players? Frost? He got done a number of times for holding on Sunday.
  3. Perhaps he'd do a little better if the ball wasn't flying into the defensive 50 every two seconds. Defensive work starts up the field, not just the 50 metres around our defensive goal.

Scragging, grabbing and getting caught on the lead has nothing to do with learning the system.

But unfortunately we have no one else.

Kosi has to stay - I have seen more contested marks from him in the last 2 games than TOB has delivered in 50

Lewis has to come back in so TOB must be omitted

I want to see what Reeves has in the 1's as well - give BB a break to rest in the forward pocket - I know its a tall forward line for Tassie conditions but I want to see it

Kosi has to stay - I have seen more contested marks from him in the last 2 games than TOB has delivered in 50
I'm no fan of O'Brien but he has taken double the contested marks than Kosi this season

Scragging, grabbing and getting caught on the lead has nothing to do with learning the system.

But unfortunately we have no one else.
Seriously, all defenders get caught doing these things.

It’s a forwards game, by design. Literally.

The same number as Kosi, this season. Tob also kicked triple the goals this year.

so TOB is the future is he? last I looked we were 17th & need to change some things moving forward & I have seen more from Kosi in his first few games to suggest his ceiling is way higher than TOB's :huh:

so TOB is the future is he? last I looked we were 17th & need to change some things moving forward & I have seen more from Kosi in his first few games to suggest his ceiling is way higher than TOB's :huh:
That’s an entirely different argument.

You stated that you have seen Kosi take more contested marks in the last 2 games than TOB in his last 50, which another poster and I called you out on, as pure bullshit.

The other poster pointed out that TOB has taken twice the amount of contested marks than Kosi in the same amount of games and also has kicked 3 times the amount of goals.

By all means give an opinion about Kosi’s ceiling compared to TOB, just don’t post bullshit to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calls for TOB to be dropped is ridiculous.

With embarrassing delivery inside 50, we could have Dunstall, Lockett & Ablett and they wouldn't get a look in.

I look forward to the day we can have a look at Gunston, Lewis, TOB & Kosi playing together. With Wingard, Breust, Brockman & Moore at their feet.
The thing is he leads really well and his sense of forward structure is great

The other talls are the opposite. They are green and their patterns are shitty as but when they nail it their body on body work and marking seems better

I’m not sure I agree on there being bad forward entires. I felt like there were so many times where a mid had to slow it down to wait for decent forward structure.

I like the idea of Lewis, Jeka, Brockman for O'Brien, Kosi, Nash. But also wondering if that's too much forward change and if it makes us too small. Probably end up as Lewis and Brockman for Nash and Kosi. Could give Kosi the nod over TOB because his pressure was up again if we want to go the development route.

That’s an entirely different argument.

You stated that you have seen Kosi take more contested marks in the last 2 games than TOB in his last 50, which another poster and I called you out on, as pure bullshit.

The other poster pointed out that TOB has taken twice the amount of contested marks than Kosi in the same amount of games and also has kicked 3 times the amount of goals.

By all means give an opinion about Kosi’s ceiling compared to TOB, just don’t post bullshit to do it.

Fair point = I could have chosen different words

Must be terrible to be right all of the time Mr O'Brien

We played a small lineup last week with just the two key backs, Hartigan and Frost, and two key forwards, TOB and Kosi. Hartigan also relieved Big Boy in the ruck. I expect Lewis to return which will help take the pressure off Kosi and allow TOB to play the 2nd/3rd tall which he's more suited to and also help out Big Boy in the ruck. Cousins deserves a game and while his disposal can let him down he knows how to find the footy in space and is good form.

Not sure who goes out though. Howe/Nash? Phillips also underwhelming of late and could be under pressure to hold his spot. Tough call for match committee with Nash who was poor but dropping him could effectively stamp his papers. I expect him to be given another chance

Frost has been more of an issue than Hartigan. In general though, all of the backline has held up well considering the amount of ball that has been done there.

The backline is the least of our issues
Backline in general has been great, Frost is guilty of skill errors and doesn't cop many breaks from the maggots, but he plays with dare and aggression and is quick.

The thing is he leads really well and his sense of forward structure is great

The other talls are the opposite. They are green and their patterns are shitty as but when they nail it their body on body work and marking seems better

I’m not sure I agree on there being bad forward entires. I felt like there were so many times where a mid had to slow it down to wait for decent forward structure.
Obrien took a couple of strong grabs on the weekend and kicked 2 goals. Pretty safe i'd think.

We played a small lineup last week with just the two key backs, Hartigan and Frost, and two key forwards, TOB and Kosi. Hartigan also relieved Big Boy in the ruck. I expect Lewis to return which will help take the pressure off Kosi and allow TOB to play the 2nd/3rd tall which he's more suited to and also help out Big Boy in the ruck. Cousins deserves a game and while his disposal can let him down he knows how to find the footy in space and is good form.

Not sure who goes out though. Howe/Nash? Phillips also underwhelming of late and could be under pressure to hold his spot. Tough call for match committee with Nash who was poor but dropping him could effectively stamp his papers. I expect him to be given another chance
Stamp the papers.

I'm not as close to the coalface as some so please correct me if I'm wrong ... From memory commentators were saying that this year is going to be a bumper draft. That said would it be fair to say that the match committee is having a look at everybody on the list with a view to a serious clean-out at the end of the year? That could explain what appears to be some bewildering selections, and I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps someone like Mitchell is put up for trade in order to get some selections in. In fact that could be good news for a mature bodied Worpel who is part of the younger demographic. Was very interested to hear about the larger coaching contingent at Box Hill. For me what I am seeing this year are the foundations being developed ... Just slightly off topic does anybody know the projections around when we will have Dingley up and running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back