Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

It's what is most exciting imo. Our guys are lowering their eyes. Our delivery i50 is as good as any team in the AFL at the moment. Just need to finish the good work and we'll kick some big scores. Colyer in particular has gone from scapegoat to hero in a few short weeks.

Does Treacy (who's output is currently less than stellar) help Tabs kick more goals by simply being a tall forward that the opposition have to cover with a tall defender?
UN, I suspect you know the answer, but it's yes.

However Cyclone's going to have to start kicking the odd goal, or his defender will start to cheat off him and impact any contest where Tabs in involved.

It's what is most exciting imo. Our guys are lowering their eyes. Our delivery i50 is as good as any team in the AFL at the moment. Just need to finish the good work and we'll kick some big scores. Colyer in particular has gone from scapegoat to hero in a few short weeks.

That kick of his on the outside of the boot to shape the ball to the advantageous side of Taberner was utterly

Richmond by the way are at 48.5% efficiency.
And with Lynch and Reiwoldt are only taking 13 marks a game inside 50.

We're doing a lot right
Have to put my hand in that I overreacted to the pre-season game. It looked just like last year but our first 5 games have shown we are not.

We've definitely feels like we have given up some defence to make the attack better.
Would love a heat map of where we are taking the marks inside 50 compared to others, from the eye test we rarely have a player leading directly at the ball carrier and spend a lot of time hitting up targets leading to the pockets.
Yes I'd be interested as well. That said, we've butchered many easy chances so it might not be as bad as we expect.

Have to put my hand in that I overreacted to the pre-season game. It looked just like last year but our first 5 games have shown we are not.

We've definitely feels like we have given up some defence to make the attack better.

Yes I'd be interested as well. That said, we've butchered many easy chances so it might not be as bad as we expect.

Lobb got two shots straight in front...one from 35-40 the other on 50

St Kilda with Max King and Membrey average 10.2 marks a game inside 50

Will be disappointed if he doesn’t kick 50 goals this season. Provided he plays close to 22 games.
I'm going to be realistic.... I reckon he will kick 41 goals from 19 games this season. Thats my prediction.

Would be still happy if he plays all 22 games and kick 40 goals though.

Tabs doesn't look near his best atm imo and he still kicked 4. Not sure if it is still the back flare ups or whatever but hoping we see him in full flight in the coming weeks because the way the mids and half forwards are delivering the ball he is capable of kicking twice what he did. That dropped mark from the Treacy kick to him and Schultz 25m out directly in front... He needs to gobble those up. Our team looks so much better hitting leading forwards than the bomb and hope. Please let it long continue.

Tabs doesn't look near his best atm imo and he still kicked 4. Not sure if it is still the back flare ups or whatever but hoping we see him in full flight in the coming weeks because the way the mids and half forwards are delivering the ball he is capable of kicking twice what he did. That dropped mark from the Treacy kick to him and Schultz 25m out directly in front... He needs to gobble those up. Our team looks so much better hitting leading forwards than the bomb and hope. Please let it long continue.
Thats what I also noticed as well. Freo mids and forward flankers were doing quick low 30 metre kicks to players on the forward 50 rather than high 50 metre kicks and hope for the best.

Kicking 12.12.84 was enough to win the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anyone else surprised when Lobb took the shot from 50? I can't remember him ever slotting from that distance.
Watched him slot a couple off that abbreviated run-up at training last week from just outside 50 so he has the journey when confidant!

I'm guessing kicking from beyond the arc is as much about technique (or connecting with the sweet spot of the ball) as it is about leg power. Explains why Treacy's bombing them from 60 when he's relaxed in the WAFL, and struggling when (I assume) he's tightening up a bit in the AFL. Points to us kicking some big scores once the lads get some confidence

Tracking for 62 goals....

If he cracks 50 that be huge for us.

Shultz and Colyer doing their part with 10 & 6 respectively to top our Small fwds. We need one of Lobb, Sturt or Treacy to get going and kick 20-25.

Darcy has kicked a goal a game which has been a bonus. One of Lobb/Sturt/Treacy has to add scoreboard pressure if we want to kick winning scores.

If he cracks 50 that be huge for us.

Shultz and Colyer doing their part with 10 & 6 respectively to top our Small fwds. We need one of Lobb, Sturt or Treacy to get going and kick 20-25.

Darcy has kicked a goal a game which has been a bonus. One of Lobb/Sturt/Treacy has to add scoreboard pressure if we want to kick winning scores.

You're right but I'd also say that fyfey kicking straighter is also part of the equation.

Fowards coach needs to get in Tabs ear about his kicking into the man on mark. Done it multiple times this year. Once on saturday and then within millimetres when he was just 20m out dead in front of goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back