List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The good thing is there's Williams and Bazzo there too so if we want to take a tall we'll be ok...And Matthew Johnson as a mid.
I kind of hope we take two with our first two picks. Feels unlikely that there would be 3 WA KPFs in the top 30 so we might get the chance. There are a couple for Vic as well that may factor.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lets assume we are a fringe of the 8 team (11-7) as I think most of us have us in that region.

Are we supposed to hope van Rooyen does well? If he does too well, he'll go top 5 and we won't get a look. If he doesn't, then he's a potato and even though we will have access to him he won't help us.
I'm highly doubtful he ends up at Freo - well at least not in the draft - he's the best KPF in the pool atm. That won't stopping me wanting Jacob to do well. Same goes for Jason Horne. We have no chance but I love watching gun young footballers develop. I just hope both don't end up somewhere like Carlton where they seem to screw up everyone who isn't a #1 pick, and even their #1 picks seem to only have a 50/50 rate of success with.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm highly doubtful he ends up at Freo - well at least not in the draft - he's the best KPF in the pool atm. That won't stopping me wanting Jacob to do well. Same goes for Jason Horne. We have no chance but I love watching gun young footballers develop. I just hope both don't end up somewhere like Carlton where they seem to screw up everyone who isn't a #1 pick, and even their #1 picks seem to only have a 50/50 rate of success with.
How good is he though? I can easily see a 195cm KPF slipping to ~10 if he's not dominating WAFL like Logan.

You think of the KPFs that have gone in the top 6 lately, they are all ~200cm. Even Naughton got out to 9 (admittedly drafted as a defender).

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I kind of hope we take two with our first two picks. Feels unlikely that there would be 3 WA KPFs in the top 30 so we might get the chance. There are a couple for Vic as well that may factor.

I dunno...Feels like we could do with a classy mid too...If Mundy can get 1-2 years more out of himself I'd be more sanguine about going two talls. But I think the good ones will be gone by our second pick...

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I still like the romanticism of F/S playing for your club, and you should definitley be entitled to reap the rewards from investing in your NGA. So what if Geelong got Hawkins, Ablett et al with late picks. Swings and roundabouts. Maybe we get some mini Pavs or Mundys at bargain rates. The competition is outrageously compromised as it is, yet for some raason they want to try to equalise this aspect. My advice to Gill is to sort out the fixturing and other gross inequalities first before worrying about this stuff.

The romanticism is a nice idea, but it's pretty meaningless in the end. Ablett, Kennedy, Daniher are some of the biggest names in football but when it suited them those F/S selections left "their" club.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dunno...Feels like we could do with a classy mid too...If Mundy can get 1-2 years more out of himself I'd be more sanguine about going two talls. But I think the good ones will be gone by our second pick...
Yeah I agree and that's the problem. Quality KPFs and classy mids are top 10 picks (the latter probably top 5).

The only reason I think we go tall this year is the development time and the vain hope that Valente exists and isn't injured. Also, the KPFs are all seem to be from WA and while that isn't usually a big deal for me, its enough to split the difference I think.

Caveat is I haven't seen any of the 4 play. My opinion could change wildly when I see them at the champs.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How good is he though? I can easily see a 195cm KPF slipping to ~10 if he's not dominating WAFL like Logan.

You think of the KPFs that have gone in the top 6 lately, they are all ~200cm. Even Naughton got out to 9 (admittedly drafted as a defender).
Possible but I suspect most clubs learnt the lesson with Naughton. If you have an 18yo KPP even able to stand up in a League game pre-draft then the rate of success is far higher. I very much doubt we've seen the best of what Van Rooyen will bring to the table pre-draft. I think he said u18 champs is probably a step down from WAFL League. I'd agree. He could dominate if the WA mids stand up.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Yeah I agree and that's the problem. Quality KPFs and classy mids are top 10 picks (the latter probably top 5).

The only reason I think we go tall this year is the development time and the vain hope that Valente exists and isn't injured. Also, the KPFs are all seem to be from WA and while that isn't usually a big deal for me, its enough to split the difference I think.

Caveat is I haven't seen any of the 4 play. My opinion could change wildly when I see them at the champs.

Yeah it's a big thing.

We're in no man's land with our picks which sucks balls.
Only a first and a second hurts a lot...Given where we're at I wonder of there's any thought of lobbing our 2022 first in front of someone to see if we can get a bite? Lets say for arguments sake we have pick 8 or something and took VR...and Matthew Johnson is on the board still? or Williams/Bazzo...would it be worth the shot, then taking a Motlop with the second round we have?
Then 2022 load up with mids and small/medium forwards from round 2 onwards

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Possible but I suspect most clubs learnt the lesson with Naughton. If you have an 18yo KPP even able to stand up in a League game pre-draft then the rate of success is far higher. I very much doubt we've seen the best of what Van Rooyen will bring to the table pre-draft. I think he said u18 champs is probably a step down from WAFL League. I'd agree. He could dominate if the WA mids stand up.
It will be interesting how he goes with the rest of the WAFL just to test that hypothesis.

Unless his athletic testing is off the charts in a few areas, I think there is a good chance we get a look as late as 10. My gut is he goes a pick or two after the "top tier" of mids (whatever that ends up being) unless he goes bang in the WAFL late.

Yeah it's a big thing.

We're in no man's land with our picks which sucks balls.
Only a first and a second hurts a lot...Given where we're at I wonder of there's any thought of lobbing our 2022 first in front of someone to see if we can get a bite? Lets say for arguments sake we have pick 8 or something and took VR...and Matthew Johnson is on the board still? or Williams/Bazzo...would it be worth the shot, then taking a Motlop with the second round we have?
Then 2022 load up with mids and small/medium forwards from round 2 onwards
I'm usually fundamentally against it just because it is an unnecessary risk. However, I would consider it this year for the KPF/s if it fell like that. I think we are passed the point of risk a future top 5 pick as we aren't that bad. That said, Melbourne probably thought that in 2018.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we have a good season then JVR will be off the table by our first pick. Guys like him are snapped up early - unless...

Cerra goes and we get a pick in top 5-6.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we have a good season then JVR will be off the table by our first pick. Guys like him are snapped up early - unless...

Cerra goes and we get a pick in top 5-6.
That's the whole point though, we don't know what sort of "guys like him" he is yet. Based off his league form to date, he is a fair way of McDonald.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge before it's settled I think.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon he will be somewhere around pick 8.
I’d expect us to have pick 10-12. Packaging up our second rounder, say pick 29 or so, to move from pick 11 to pick 8 might be possible.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
All we really need is other plausible KPPs available after the top tier mids (and they do sound genuine top tier). That is likely to mean we will have a decent tall available. That could be either Williams or Bazzo, but there will be others emerging as the year progresses. Edwards was available last draft and not even rookied yet now is described as being similar to the King twins.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
The romanticism is a nice idea, but it's pretty meaningless in the end. Ablett, Kennedy, Daniher are some of the biggest names in football but when it suited them those F/S selections left "their" club.
Yeah good point. Though Kennedy was pushed out of Hawthorn rather than electing to leave. Which kind of reinforces your point even more when you think about it!

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The planets might align this year for us at the draft.

It's not just Jacob Van Rooyen (Claremont), a bunch of tall forwards have been pretty consistent in WAFL Colts so far this year as well.

Rhett Bazzo (Swan Districts) is quality at 195cm. I was half expecting him to do a Naughton this year. Hasn't yet but think whoever ends up with him will be laughing. Seems way more suited to defence but has kicked 2 goals in both Rds 1 & 2 (had a bye in Rd 3). Really want to see him at League level.

I've been on the fence with 195cm Jack Williams (East Freo) prior to this year. Thought he might be a tad overrated coming into this year but he's been pretty good so far kicking 4, 2 and 5 goals in the first 3 rounds. Could have had 8 on the weekend. Would like to see him at League level but he has a tough job to displace either Dillon O'Reilly or Hugh Dixon and they've been going well.

Luke Brown (Claremont) who is 199cm and has kicked 3, 3 and 4 goals in the first 3 rounds. (edit - he's next year's draft, going to be a gun, thanks bastyy)

Then you've got a few in the next tier down like Luke Polson (Peel) at 196cm, kicked 5 goals in Rd 1 and is versatile.

195cm Jye Amiss (East Perth) has kicked 5, 2 and 3 goals in the first 3 rounds.

Obviously WA can't fit all of them in the u18s team and not all of them will be drafted but I don't recall having that many tall goal kickers across the WAFL Colts competition simultaneously.

And the rest of the draft pool from WA seem to fit our needs quite well. Matthew Johnson and Neil Erasmus (Subiaco) will both be drafted, and both can play midfield or as forwards. Josh Browne (East Freo) and Lachlan Paton (West Perth) also in the mix as midfielders who can drift forward. And Max Chipper (Swan Districts) is one of the better wingers I've seen from WA in recent times - really clean user of the ball. Judd McVee (East Freo) another who plays mostly outside but doesn't look out of place on the inside either. Corey Warner (East Freo), brother of Chad, is another winger in the mix.

And then you've got some small forward options headlined by our NGA prospect Jesse Motlop (South Freo). I'm not sure what is happening with Richard Bartlett (East Freo) and Jermaine Pickett (South Freo) but they have the talent to be AFL prospects as well if we start to see them making appearances.

Someone out of the clouds who could bolt into draft contention is Julian Hulten (South Freo). Has kicked 10 goals across the first 3 rounds of Colts and plays taller than his 182cm frame. Doesn't have the body of work of other prospects but worth tracking him imo.

Obviously not limited to WA prospects but encouraging there are plenty that seem to suit our needs on that list.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
The planets might align this year for us at the draft.

It's not just Jacob Van Rooyen (Claremont), a bunch of tall forwards have been pretty consistent in WAFL Colts so far this year as well.

Rhett Bazzo (Swan Districts) is quality at 195cm. I was half expecting him to do a Naughton this year. Hasn't yet but think whoever ends up with him will be laughing. Seems way more suited to defence but has kicked 2 goals in both Rds 1 & 2 (had a bye in Rd 3). Really want to see him at League level.

I've been on the fence with 195cm Jack Williams (East Freo) prior to this year. Thought he might be a tad overrated coming into this year but he's been pretty good so far kicking 4, 2 and 5 goals in the first 3 rounds. Could have had 8 on the weekend. Would like to see him at League level but he has a tough job to displace either Dillon O'Reilly or Hugh Dixon and they've been going well.

Then you've got a few in the next tier down like Luke Brown (Claremont) who is 199cm and has kicked 3, 3 and 4 goals in the first 3 rounds.

Luke Polson (Peel) at 196cm is no slouch either, kicked 5 goals in Rd 1 and is versatile.

195cm Jye Amiss (East Perth) has kicked 5, 2 and 3 goals in the first 3 rounds.

Obviously WA can't fit all of them in the u18s team and not all of them will be drafted but I don't recall having that many tall goal kickers across the WAFL Colts competition simultaneously.

And the rest of the draft pool from WA seem to fit our needs quite well. Matthew Johnson and Neil Erasmus (Subiaco) will both be drafted, and both can play midfield or as forwards. Josh Browne (East Freo) and Lachlan Paton (West Perth) also in the mix as midfielders who can drift forward. And Max Chipper (Swan Districts) is one of the better wingers I've seen from WA in recent times - really clean user of the ball. Judd McVee (East Freo) another who plays mostly outside but doesn't look out of place on the inside either. Corey Warner (East Freo), brother of Chad, is another winger in the mix.

And then you've got some small forward options headlined by our NGA prospect Jesse Motlop (South Freo). I'm not sure what is happening with Richard Bartlett (East Freo) and Jermaine Pickett (South Freo) but they have the talent to be AFL prospects as well if we start to see them making appearances.

Someone out of the clouds who could bolt into draft contention is Julian Hulten (South Freo). Has kicked 10 goals across the first 3 rounds of Colts and plays taller than his 182cm frame. Doesn't have the body of work of other prospects but worth tracking him imo.

Obviously not limited to WA prospects but encouraging there are plenty that seem to suit our needs on that list.
Luke Brown is a 2022 prospect, given he's already 199cm + his great performances already I expect him to go first round next year.

A few others that you didn't mention that I really like are Kade Dittmar from East Perth who's a goal kicking mid, Zachary Fleiner (WP) who plays more of an attacking half back role but I think he can make it as a mid.

He's not getting a lot of talk right now, but Riley Colborne (South Fremantle) from our NGA I think could end up a very good player. He's 190+ cm and ran a 20m sprint of 2.86 seconds. Perfect type of player for our rookie list

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Luke Brown is a 2022 prospect, given he's already 199cm + his great performances already I expect him to go first round next year.

A few others that you didn't mention that I really like are Kade Dittmar from East Perth who's a goal kicking mid, Zachary Fleiner (WP) who plays more of an attacking half back role but I think he can make it as a mid.

He's not getting a lot of talk right now, but Riley Colborne (South Fremantle) from our NGA I think could end up a very good player. He's 190+ cm and ran a 20m sprint of 2.86 seconds. Perfect type of player for our rookie list
When are the state u18 championships this year? Or are they transitioning to an u19 Comp?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Bastyy, any idea what has happened to Chris? I’m really missing his insight into the SA lads.

Back