Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should delly even be a lock for the olympics anymore?

Like yes, absolute champion, tough defender etc but his defensive abilities are fading as he gets older and he is a serious, serious liability on offence, like below NBL standard for a guard.

I think the gulf between good NBA players and the rest of the world is still dramatic, but when it comes to NBA journeymen like Delly, they wouldn't be stars at NBL level. They keep getting contracts because they're a known quantity and they have built connections.

Like yes, absolute champion, tough defender etc but his defensive abilities are fading as he gets older and he is a serious, serious liability on offence, like below NBL standard for a guard.

I think the gulf between good NBA players and the rest of the world is still dramatic, but when it comes to NBA journeymen like Delly, they wouldn't be stars at NBL level. They keep getting contracts because they're a known quantity and they have built connections.
I was thinking the same thing last year, questioning whether Cotton would be a better option.

Tbh I don’t really know. I feel at worst he will end up on the end of the bench... Because he is a known quantity.

His international basketball gets him selected nothing else.

The Australian team will comprise of current or recent graduates from Basketball Australia’s globally renowned Centre of Excellence (CoE) program and the NBA Global Academy, both programs based at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

Ngl it took me a minute to realise that these games are basically a formality. I mean, if these guys can’t beat Guam and Hong Kong...

I’m assuming that if we aren’t sending NBL players New Zealand aren’t either?

Locks if available:

Mills/Delly
Thybulle
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons
Baynes

Nearly locks imo:
Green, Kay, Exum, Landale

Fighting for the last spot or two:
Humphries, Goulding, Creek, Maker

Cotton in if he gets his citizenship and gets added to the squad late.

Kay makes the team imo, he just performed way too well at the world cup to ignore and was often in our death lineup. Earned his spot and wouldn't be out of place.

If Thybulle learns to shoot sixers will be very strong

Yep. But we still have Baynes, Maker and Reath as centre's as well. Kay is a chance for that 12th or 13th player spot/

I thought he was an okay selection, that played okay. With Simmons coming in and Landale being the immediate back up he's pushed down.
On current form, Humphries has become the favourite for back up centre position.

Giddy IMHO.

I wonder where he gets drafted

I feel Simmons, Mills and Ingles are going to be dangerous and dominate most teams at the Olympics. If Boomers go in full strength, they could do the unthinkable. They nearly did it in Rio but was beaten by one player sinking 3s all game.

I feel Simmons, Mills and Ingles are going to be dangerous and dominate most teams at the Olympics. If Boomers go in full strength, they could do the unthinkable. They nearly did it in Rio but was beaten by one player sinking 3s all game.
One of the things I really like about our current squad is the quality core has played a lot of basketball together. Mills/Baynes/Ingles all know each others game inside out.

And Simmons is the perfect addition, the two things he adds, an elite athlete who can penetrate and an agile defender capable of handling big quick players, are our two biggest deficiencies.

Just quietly I think Simmons may absolutely dominate international basketball- he's an athletic freak even in the NBA, and the attributes which make him good there (insane reach with a great handle, elite defence and ability to finish at the ring) are going to create an even bigger imbalance in the international competition.

If you look historically, someone like Pippen was a standout even in the dream team, because guys who are tall and agile and play great defence by NBA standards are even more of an outlier by international standards.

There simply aren't going to be many people around the world capable of guarding Simmons off the dribble- hell if he was playing for someone other than Australia I don't know who we would put on him.

On current form, Humphries has become the favourite for back up centre position.
Will Magnay would be my choice currently. He's the best athlete out of the back up options. Stronger than Thon and quicker than all the others in contention.

Will Magnay would be my choice currently. He's the best athlete out of the back up options. Stronger than Thon and quicker than all the others in contention.

I think Magnay can be in the squad with Humphries. Baynes can play PF to accommodate them both if required. Maker probably not in the discussion if he cannot get regular basketball ball. If Humphries can continue his form, he will be in discussion of being a MVP candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dyson Daniels predicted to be around #16 in 2022

He seems to be very talented, but also very level headed. Gonna be a future star. Hope he shoots more. Loved his highlights.

Reyne Smith also has the scope to play in the NBA imo. Remarkable catch and shoot player. He can drain it from a long way out.

He seems to be very talented, but also very level headed. Gonna be a future star. Hope he shoots more. Loved his highlights.

Reyne Smith also has the scope to play in the NBA imo. Remarkable catch and shoot player. He can drain it from a long way out.

Smith’s release is quiiiick.

Combine their skill sets and you've got a bonafide star that does the lot. Daniels needs to work on his 3 point shot.

81 days to go. Hopefully Boomers bring home their first medal. This is my rolling based on current form and health. I don’t see Giddey playing due to the NBA draft; Green not ready; Exum injury is a concern; Cooks injury concern; Kay would be unlucky given Motum is in good form.

Pg- Mills, (Simmons), Delly
Sg- Ingles, (Thybulle), Goulding
Sf- Thybulle, Broekhoff, Creek
Pf- Simmons, Landale, Motum
C- Baynes, Humphries

81 days to go. Hopefully Boomers bring home their first medal. This is my rolling based on current form and health. I don’t see Giddey playing due to the NBA draft; Green not ready; Exum injury is a concern; Cooks injury concern; Kay would be unlucky given Motum is in good form.

Pg- Mills, (Simmons), Delly
Sg- Ingles, (Thybulle), Goulding
Sf- Thybulle, Broekhoff, Creek
Pf- Simmons, Landale, Motum
C- Baynes, Humphries
Apparently Thybulle and Simmons can make the Olympics even if they make the NBA Finals.
Im a 76ers fan Thybulle has come a lot in recent times. If Giddey makes the team he would probably go to the US and do workouts with teams a bit earlier than the other draftees. There have been a few guys who have done that before from memory.

Will Magnay is likely coming to Perth. I really like his athleticism and I'd have him in the team ahead of Humphries for his defence. He is quite a bit like a young Baynes but he already has a good three point shot. Bryce Cotton should also be eligible by the games and I think Nathan Sobey is still a chance as he's been terrific in the NBL.

Combine their skill sets and you've got a bonafide star that does the lot. Daniels needs to work on his 3 point shot.
The Under 18 national champs just happened and Daniels was the standout player. I think he hit a lot of three pointers judging by a write up I read. He now considered a mid to late teen pick in the 2022 mock drafts. Giddey's now at 13 in the main 2021 mocks.

As a defensive rotation:

PG: Mills, Dellevedova
SG: Ingles, Exum (should be fit), Goulding
SF: Thybulle, Broekhoff, Creek
PF: Simmons, Landale
C: Baynes, Maker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back