The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could have superleague style.

5 rotation spots for state teams.

and how is that suppose to improve Australian Football/Soccer?
You have to remember we are a backwater soccer national nothing compared to Europe. We should be mainly focusing on youth development so our players have a goal to strive to play at the highest level. Having a Super League for starters wouldn't have the support here as well as within the AFC and is unnecessary which will do nothing but bleed money and set the game backwards many decades.

Last edited:

The first step for the second division is making the npl a full time league and increase its presence (an fta deal would be a good start). Second is a finals comp between the 2 finalists of each npl league (I know there is a version of this already in place).

and how is that suppose to improve Australian Football/Soccer?
You have to remember we are a backwater soccer national nothing compared to Europe. We should be mainly focusing on youth development so our players have a goal to strive to play at the highest level. Having a Super League for starters wouldn't have the support here as well as within the AFC and is unnecessary which will do nothing but bleed money and set the game backwards many decades.

It would give domestic football life and vitality. Which would breed many good outcomes. It'd also stop the game being a closed league which is Not right in football

It would give domestic football life and vitality. Which would breed many good outcomes. It'd also stop the game being a closed league which is Not right in football

No it wont! Australia soccer in the past has gone through many reincarnations which always leads it full circle to where we are with it today. There is no enthusiasm, support or money for another reincarnation atm especially a ESL style one. Primary objective should be putting all our resources toward youth development and helping our players reach the highest level which in turn helps the national teams and our World Cup goals!

As for a second division I'm skeptical but if a working eco system can be though out one that doesn't require clubs to go all out full-time professionals than we should look in to it. But it is way off the radar right now. The focus should be on youth development and the A-League, which still needs to find its feet in being sustainable even after 15 years!

Last edited:
Whenever Sth Melbourne fans get up you about them being all about the game including pro/rel

A Good read that thread :thumbsu:

My understanding is this was used quite regularly, the NSL chopped and changed on a wimp at times always favoring Sydney and Melbourne clubs. It was a really an unstable league throughout its history.

The A-League was created in part so that this sort of unsustainability could not happen. As it turned out it still did with the NZL Knight, Gold Coast and NQF as well as Melbourne Heart to an extant. Another example of everything always going full circle in Austrian football.

Last edited:
A Good read that thread :thumbsu:

My understanding is this was used quite regularly, the NSL chopped and changed on a wimp at times always favoring Sydney and Melbourne clubs. It was a really an unstable league throughout its history.

The A-League was created in part so that this sort of unsustainability could not happen. As it turned out it still did with the NZL Knight, Gold Coast and NQF as well as Melbourne Heart to an extant. Another example of everything always going full circle in Austrian football.

Yeah, red bull has ruined Austrian football.

Aleague has been relatively stable in comparison. I hope the apl and fa create completions that are stable and successful. I am curious as the structure the FA will take with the second division.

Yeah, red bull has ruined Austrian football.

Aleague has been relatively stable in comparison. I hope the apl and fa create completions that are stable and successful. I am curious as the structure the FA will take with the second division.

oh no doubt don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade the A-League for what the NSL was ever. But The league stability is a problem and needs to be well.. stable first and foremost before any pro/rel is introduced. Though I do believe clubs like South Melbourne, Sydney Olympic, Marconi etc.. should one day be apart of a pyramid system.

No it wont! Australia soccer in the past has gone through many reincarnations which always leads it full circle to where we are with it today. There is no enthusiasm, support or money for another reincarnation atm especially a ESL style one. Primary objective should be putting all our resources toward youth development and helping our players reach the highest level which in turn helps the national teams and our World Cup goals!

As for a second division I'm skeptical but if a working eco system can be though out one that doesn't require clubs to go all out full-time professionals than we should look in to it. But it is way off the radar right now. The focus should be on youth development and the A-League, which still needs to find its feet in being sustainable even after 15 years!

What makes you think young talent would suffer. From giving the historic clubs a fair go?

The golden era was based on NSL breeding. After almost 20 years of a league the national team is near rubbish

What makes you think young talent would suffer. From giving the historic clubs a fair go?

The golden era was based on NSL breeding. After almost 20 years of a league the national team is near rubbish
They wouldn't suffer in developing I never said that but the clubs commercially will.
NSL breeding was a different era man.. Clubs where mostly part-time and we had the AIS back than to help out in development, we don't have that now and its all up to the clubs to develop players.
The A-League has lost its way recently, but it should go back to what it was intended to be, development. Sure you can have your marquees and international players but I believe priority should be on youth development.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely disgusting and deserves all the bad coverage it is getting. Who brings a machete to a football match? What is wrong with these people?

Just one stupid thing that most people don't do. I went down to an ffa cup game the other week (mid week game) and it was a very nice atmosphere, and quite welcome.

Taking part in a question and answer session at a Melbourne Knights home game, its chairperson Chris Nikou indicated that he was seeking to oversee a cultural reset at the organisation.

"Football Australia has historically been a very Sydney-based organisation, but under my chairmanship, I'd like us to go back to a more traditional football environment, which means 'football as we know it,'" Nikou said.

"Which means alignment from top to bottom and the ability to move up and down that spectrum depending on ability."

Inevitably in a room full of its longstanding advocates, the subject of a national second division (NSD) was also raised by interviewer Josh Parish. AAFC chairperson Nick Galatas revealed to ESPN last week that his organisation intends to finalise its report on an NSD by the end of June and then submit it to the federation.

"Nick [Galatas] and I speak regularly on this, and I think there's a much greater level of cooperation and understanding of the issues on both sides," Nikou explained.

"I think having a football CEO [Johnson] -- brought up in Rockhampton, played in the NSL -- who understands football, has lived it in the Asian region and FIFA means we're aware of where we want to get to at the moment.

"I'm expecting the matter to come to the Football Australia board in the second half of this year, and I'd love to see a second division up for the 2023 season."

Probably lip service considering the audience.

The replies will be hilarious from Sokkah Twitter

Not sure about all his reasoning why it wouldn't work is entirely justified.

The establishment of a second division, imo, wouldn't take the 5-10 years to set up; I think it can be set up and running within an 18 month time frame. Yes full integration, if that is the track they go down, is in that 5-10 years range of set up (probably relegation before the possibility of promotion)

Cost is always an issue to deal with; alot of leagues around the country will need to deal with less tv money bring available. I'm sure sponsorships can assist in the ability to bridge gaps, with the league working within its means. I think any issue can be worked through in the 10 odd year process of promotion being set up; and the step down would be managed in likely a similar way as leagues that have similar gaps (like the epl and championship)

Location is always something to deal with. Multiple leagues deal with it, with quite small budgets (whether that be basketball or netball). Not sure how any New Zealand team would be incorporated into the competition if relegation were to incorporate the aleague, or maybe even a set up between a similar league set up in nz). Possible that there could be a range of leagues similar to the second divisions of the non league set up in England.
Fans may come and go but fans do stick around. Victory are still getting a good crowd in despite poor form. Ccm are always punching above there wait.

Whenever Sth Melbourne fans get up you about them being all about the game including pro/rel

Two things at play here. Without South Melbourne, clubs and league would lose out financially. There would be no derbies in Melbourne against Alexander and JUST for example. The other problem was the league did not want Croatia in the top tier.

Two things at play here. Without South Melbourne, clubs and league would lose out financially. There would be no derbies in Melbourne against Alexander and JUST for example. The other problem was the league did not want Croatia in the top tier.
So you only want pro/rel when it suits?

I wonder if you guys would be as vocal about 2nd division (if not actively against it) if you were already in the A-League.

So you only want pro/rel when it suits?

I wonder if you guys would be as vocal about 2nd division (if not actively against it) if you were already in the A-League.

What?

Couldn't give a s**t these days, I'm too old for the carry-on. I just sit back and think of all the wonderful times I've had following my club. They could play in Provincial 9 and I'd still turn up. Unlike most Australian football fans.

Just explaining what actually occurred during the period of the national league.

Back