Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Showing my homer status now but I dont think you can have Ryan and Stewart that far apart. They play the same role, Stewart has 1 more AA but is three years older.

Darcy is also better than Draper, Setterfield and SPS, he's just a lumbering goof but his output is top shelf

Its a pretty hard list to put together though, so many quality players
FML. i did an edit to move Darcy and deleted him completely. sigh.
Fixed

I have Draper ahead of Darcy by a whisker. Its a small showing on Draper's behalf, but it's been pretty electric watching him play the role of clearance player, #1 ruck and forward from game 1....also, the mullet :p

I can't move Ryan ahead of anyone just yet....maybe Simpkin, but kid is dealing with playing for North, so i'll cut him some slack.
Stewart isn't just the AA's. Unheralded in a Geelong team where the focus has been the likes of Danger, Ablett, Selwood, etc.

Last edited:

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure why Darcy has to specifically work on his fitness to be included. He's doing just fine anyway beating RoB on the weekend, kicking goals and clunking marks. He gets ignored because he's a big lumbering goof but he's having a very good year.

Don't think you get to just apply bonus points to Marshall because he's a tall forward when he hasnt exactly dominated yet.
Well its a redo of a draft and I wouldn't pick many defenders or rucks in my top ten. Top ten picks should be for game winners and there just ain't that many rucks or defenders who win games, that's why Marshall gets bonus points. Also easier to find good defenders later in the draft Port picked up dan Houston at 155 in the draft and he's our best back.

Well its a redo of a draft and I wouldn't pick many defenders or rucks in my top ten. Top ten picks should be for game winners and there just ain't that many rucks or defenders who win games, that's why Marshall gets bonus points. Also easier to find good defenders later in the draft Port picked up dan Houston at 155 in the draft and he's our best back.
I actually completely agree with you on not using top 10 picks on key defenders / rucks (for the most part). I probably disagree on Marshall's output so far but its a completely subjective thing

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
may be a little biased towards this kid, but i really like him.
Compounded by his efforts last year to play on with a busted collar bone.

With the exception of Butters, he's the first player i steal from Port if i had the chance.
Yeah I look i love Toddy he has had to deal with losing both his parents in his first two years at Port and a fair few injuries but he needs to get a season full season together before he can go in front of players who have. But you are correct on he and butters what separates these two are their smarts they always pick out the best option and have the skills to deliver. Marshall might be the next true CHF in the game since N.Reiwoldt his ability to mark from 70 out and hit the right option is outstanding.

Such a hard list to put together where A LOT of it will be due to bias. You can throw a blanket over most of the players in the top 30

1 -Taranto
2- McCluggage
3- Ridley
4- Bolton
5 -McGrath
6 - Simpkin
7 - Stewart
8 - Ryan
9 - English
10 - R Marshall
11 - Berry
12 - Perryman
13 - Darcy
14 - Cox
15 - Bowes
16 - T Marshall
17 - Parfitt
18 - Ladhams
19 - Graham
20 - Daicos

Extremely stiff players who would probably be top 20 on most other drafts without the depth of the Marianna Trench:

Hayward, Rioli, Draper, Logue, Scrimshaw, Setterfield, Battle, Fisher, Florent, Long, Lipinski, Drew, Rotham, Ratugolea, Himmelberg, Narkle, Lewis, Waterman

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As much as I hate to say it i think Berry has to start dropping down the list a bit. He has had promise to be top 10 quality but just keeps getting injured when he looks like breaking out to the next level. He is still just not quite putting together the full package and goes missing at times.

One I think is a little underrated due to his club is Perryman. Very good player who most teams would love

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
been a while since i've done a list (mainly cos of what this thread has become)

1-Taranto. Still the best overall performed player for me.
2-Stewart. Hard to ignore the AA and how defensively sound he is. Usually dock mature age players in this list, but this guy is very good.
3-Clug.
4-Ridley
5-McGrath
6-Bolton
7-Berry
8-T.Marshall
9-Bowes
10-English
11-Simpkin
12-Ryan
13-R.Marshall
14-Perryman
15-B.Cox
16-Draper
17-Darcy
18-Graham
19-Setterfield
20-Ladhams

Zac Fisher is surely better than a few of those guys. He’s miles ahead of Setterfield at the very least.

What would a best 22 of players from this draft look?

My guess off the top of my head:
Ryan - Stewart - Logue
Ridley - Battle - Petreviski Seton
McCluggage - McGrath - Simpkin
Bolton - Marshall - Ronke
Fisher - Marshall - Zurharr
Darcy - Taranto - Brown
Florent - Bowes - Berry - English

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Ryan - Stewart - Logue
McCluggage - McGrath - Berry
Darcy - Taranto - Brown

What about the next 22?

Is that possible?

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Ryan - Stewart - Logue
McCluggage - McGrath - Berry
Darcy - Taranto - Brown
Think you have Berry twice

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Such a hard list to put together where A LOT of it will be due to bias. You can throw a blanket over most of the players in the top 30

1 -Taranto
2- McCluggage
3- Ridley
4- Bolton
5 -McGrath
6 - Simpkin
7 - Stewart
8 - Ryan
9 - English
10 - R Marshall
11 - Berry
12 - Perryman
13 - Darcy
14 - Cox
15 - Bowes
16 - T Marshall
17 - Parfitt
18 - Ladhams
19 - Graham
20 - Daicos

Extremely stiff players who would probably be top 20 on most other drafts without the depth of the Marianna Trench:

Hayward, Rioli, Draper, Logue, Scrimshaw, Setterfield, Battle, Fisher, Florent, Long, Lipinski, Drew, Rotham, Ratugolea, Himmelberg, Narkle, Lewis, Waterman

My list

1. Bolton
2. Taranto
3. Clug
4. Ridley
5. Stewart
6. English
7. McGrath
8. Simpkin
9 Ryan
10 Marshall

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Still my favourite draft of ours in recent times, and basically the draft that has stopped us completely circling the drain, once a lot of our older players finish up this year and next.

Pick 26 - Parfitt
Pick 40 - Stewart
Pick 43 - Ratugolea
Pick 60 - Narkle
Rookie Pick 16 - J. Henry
Rookie Pick 53 - S. Simpson
Rookie Cat B - O'Connor

Incredible haul

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure why you need to keep doing this, it really adds nothing to the discussion, and to be honest doesn't show you in a very positive light.

******* lol.

Are you going for irony here?

You and your buddy have ruined this thread by doing exactly what you are complaining about someone else doing in this post.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Big (and probably stupid) question for bombers fans, Do you think there is a chance that Draper could overtake McGrath and Ridley by the end of all their careers?
Not a stupid question. There’s a path to him being one of if not the best ruck in the comp. If he’s better than those two I’m pretty happy because those guys are fantastic players already. I wouldn’t bet on it but it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Big (and probably stupid) question for bombers fans, Do you think there is a chance that Draper could overtake McGrath and Ridley by the end of all their careers?
I doubt it on Ridley.
He's such a class player.
I'd like to see Draper & McGrath become a NicNat+Shuey type clearance machine soon.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Just not sure he’s enough of a natural footballer to get to that level. That being said with his height and athleticism his ceiling as a tap ruckman is very high but I’d say his most likely outcome is Scott Lycett but much stronger overhead.

Back