Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t read it.
It says we lead the league for points that start from the backline and also from kick-ins. 2nd in the league for corridor use as well.

It says we lead the league for points that start from the backline and also from kick-ins. 2nd in the league for corridor use as well.
Isn’t it something we announced we would do in those Members’ Symposia? We couldn’t execute it, though.

It would be interesting to back to what was said then and compare with what we have been doing.

Last edited:
Isn’t it something we announced we would do in those Members’ Symposia? We couldn’t execute it, though.

It would be interesting to back to what was said then and compare with what we have been doing.
The man on the mark rule opening up space this year + having great kicks help a lot with that.

Saw the governer and his wife walking in Loxton this morning, she saw our port caps and she got excited saying good game against Richmond last week. Good to know they enjoy the real team in the state!

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
My wife used to work at Government house and therefore can confirm current Gov and wife are Port supporters.

That's interesting about the kick ins. Commentators have noted that we prefer to kick to point of the centre square (usually grandstand side) where we typically have 3 talls stationed and crumbers around them. If the kick in is executed properly, Dixon and/or Marshall etc have a decent run at the ball and aren't sitting under a loopy kick.

That's interesting about the kick ins. Commentators have noted that we prefer to kick to point of the centre square (usually grandstand side) where we typically have 3 talls stationed and crumbers around them. If the kick in is executed properly, Dixon and/or Marshall etc have a decent run at the ball and aren't sitting under a loopy kick.
Which is what we were doing last year. We don't actually seem to be making much use of the extra space at kick outs that was provided this year.

Last edited:

Our kicker-in is always a right footer, runs to his right and right hand side of the goal square or wider and most of the times, he tries to put the ball into the right hand side CHB corner of the centre square, 10 to 15m metres back from that corner.

If the kicker-in is forced a bit wide in the kick in, they kick it within about 10m of the boundary side of the centre square. That seems to be our tactic with 80%+ of the kick ins at any ground, and at either end.

We usually have Charlie, Lycett/Ladhams and one other tall lined up going for the mark and 2 or 3 or 4 little guys trying to crumb the ball if no mark is taken. We don't take a lot of marks in those packs and the oppo even less.

What is frustrating, other than we are so predictable and good defences stop it, is that we dont have a player or two 30-40m behind that pack and another player or two another 30-40m further back than that player or two. If we take a mark or get the crumbs we are usually kicking it into open space and hoping to swoop onto it rather than having a structure to take advantage of gaining possession from that set up with a couple of our players at least set back from that. Or if we take a mark there is a mad dash to try and run into a decent position.

We are easier to read than a Dr Seuss book, but Charlie being the target usually means that the oppo doesn't steal the mark in the pack, because he hits the ball/pack hard and its difficult to out mark him even if he regularly drops the mark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kutchie and Erin are on the Front Bar next week
As much as I love the Phillips family Kutchie 1 of my fav have the 20 on a duffel coat but I'm sick of hearing or seeing Erin at the moment.
It sucks she has had to play for the scum we should of pushed harder for a team especially after we unveiled her as captain.

Saw the 'This is Port Adelaide' movie tonight in Brisbane. Spoiler alert

Glad I went as I was sure to regret if I missed it. First 20-30 mins is great, story well told of the club and the success and why we looked to go beyond the SANFL. Didn't like the 'year that was' for 2020....usual Covid stuff and then to see highlights of games that were losses and then to ultimately get knocked out, kinda contradicted all teh success that was spoken about earlier. I get that it was 150 year, but it was a failure in the end.....not a success. I did appreciate seeing the presser where Ken said 'We're coming' Big fan of setting the bar high, what I expect from the club.

Black and white all the way through looked cool and the first 5-10 mins showed a lot wharf pylons and similar so expressed teh PBs well. Didn't think it was special to see the diehard supporters with their rooms dedicated to Port memorabilia. I respect it but at the same time, every club has those....you could talk Saints, Cats, Fitzroy, Footscray and see all the same things.....it was our success that made us special. We also have diehard supporters that don't paint their face, don't wear port gear everywhere, but follow the club with passion.

To sum up my view, my sports mad Canadian girlfriend I would look to have her watch the first 30 mins to see why/how/where we have come from, but after that I would be happy for her to switch off. Still as port fans, go have a look. It is only a good thing that these things get made and it is more than the club commissioning it but talented film makers looking to drive the project to make the film and allow us supporters to see more of our great club.

Matty Primus spoke after the movie. I get the impression he is very much a port man first. His answers didn't come across as lip service to pander to the audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back