Discussion 2021 Help / General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Understanding this ....it appears the AFL is still culpable, irrespective of the lack of knowledge in the past .....hence the Class Action being mounted by past players, many who haven't played for over 20 years

I'm not arguing against past players suing for things that happened 20 years ago. I believe they have a strong case.

My concern is that young players of today who are well aware of the risks who continue to play against medical advice potentially suing down the track since we live in a world where nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore. That NRoo comment perfectly illustrates how young men in general are risk takers. IDK maybe we're getting to the point of 3 concussions and your career is over for your own good.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I'm not arguing against past players suing for things that happened 20 years ago. I believe they have a strong case.

My concern is that young players of today who are well aware of the risks who continue to play against medical advice potentially suing down the track since we live in a world where nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore. That NRoo comment perfectly illustrates how young men in general are risk takers. IDK maybe we're getting to the point of 3 concussions and your career is over for your own good.
I wonder if their contracts include such clauses these days, along the lines of accepting the risks of a contact sport. It would seem sensible from the AFL/clubs perspective.

I know not many 18 year olds will care/read that. But between that and the mandatory stand down for concussion the AFL is doing all it can.

Also Riewoldt/or any other player can throw a tantrum if they want, but if the 12 day stand down is part of their employment agreement there is nothing that they can do.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wonder if their contracts include such clauses these days, along the lines of accepting the risks of a contact sport. It would seem sensible from the AFL/clubs perspective.

I know not many 18 year olds will care/read that. But between that and the mandatory stand down for concussion the AFL is doing all it can.

Also Riewoldt/or any other player can throw a tantrum if they want, but if the 12 day stand down is part of their employment agreement there is nothing that they can do.

This is pretty much what I was getting at a few weeks ago when I said players should be made to 'sign a waiver' and a few of us ended up getting into a heated debate over it.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

I think Nick Riewoldt is quick to forget Shane Tuck.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
I understand that. The medical field has come a long way as far as understanding the long term affects of concussions since those days. I'm specifically referring to the last 5 years or so when there has been a better understanding of the risk involved from the AFL, Clubs, doctors and players alike. Hence Patty McCartin & Kade Kolo and a few others retiring at a young ages because the risk of permanent braindamage is too great for them to continue playing. Players are better educated these days on the risks they take whenever they step onto the field is all I'm saying.
You realise that Paddy McCartin hasnt retired and will be playing for Sydney's VFL side. He announced after the final VFL practice game his intention of pushing for a return, this time with Sydney's AFL.
He did NOT wear a helmet for the practice match. He did however take it very easy under instructions.
The issue of course is that Sydney has provided an opportunity for a 24yo to retain his dream whilst being able to play with his younger brother also. It is not a stupid club and i;m sure the legal ramifications into the future would have been not just discussed but also penned and signed.
I have a feeling it is not the last weve seen of McCartin coz he's good enough to be kicking 5 each week in the VFL and force his way into any AFL side.
How many others with a history of head knocks get a lifeline with a regional club ? This issue has been around long enough for the legals to be sorted already...otherwise not a single club would even consider it for a moment.

The Riewoldt statement is one of simple common sense. Its a very good point too. He's cut thru the usual bull from the AFL to state what CAN and potentially WOULD be done by any young man wanting to play a Grand Final. The AFL can say and command anything they like, but they are not the last word.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
You realise that Paddy McCartin hasnt retired and will be playing for Sydney's VFL side. He announced after the final VFL practice game his intention of pushing for a return, this time with Sydney's AFL.
He did NOT wear a helmet for the practice match. He did however take it very easy under instructions.
The issue of course is that Sydney has provided an opportunity for a 24yo to retain his dream whilst being able to play with his younger brother also. It is not a stupid club and i;m sure the legal ramifications into the future would have been not just discussed but also penned and signed.
I have a feeling it is not the last weve seen of McCartin coz he's good enough to be kicking 5 each week in the VFL and force his way into any AFL side.
How many others with a history of head knocks get a lifeline with a regional club ? This issue has been around long enough for the legals to be sorted already...otherwise not a single club would even consider it for a moment.

The Riewoldt statement is one of simple common sense. Its a very good point too. He's cut thru the usual bull from the AFL to state what CAN and potentially WOULD be done by any young man wanting to play a Grand Final. The AFL can say and command anything they like, but they are not the last word.
Except they are in a sport that they set the rules for, and people play voluntarily. No player has to play the sport, and can stop playing whenever they like. As long as it's in their employment agreement there are no law's being broken. Whether it is currently in their employment agreement is the only sticking point.

I'd say if it isn't, it will be soon.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The current discussion this week about the forced point, where the ball was handballed thru from 8 mtrs ......media saying it's not a good sight and why is the goal line treated any differently to if the player handballed over the boundary line

Here's a tip; Neil Craig put a submission to the AFL, must be 8 years ago now.....as part of his proposal, which was adopted by the AFL commission, the goal line was to be treated no differently to the boundary line

In its first year, the media and coach's .....yes the media ...were saying the penalty too harsh, and the pressure on defenders to difficult ......so, like the hands in the back rule, was watered down to appease the Coach's
This was B4 the incident of walking back over the goal line deliberately

So the point I'm making ......these discussions are cyclic by the media ....what they argued against years ago, they then take the flipside position ....and totally forget which side of the argument they're actually on

Well they're not on any side actually ....the point is the media need something to talk about every week ....the best way to always argue about the incumbent rules, right or wrong

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
Over the years SC has given me inlarged balls, destroyed my liver, several heart attacks and a brain aneurysm.
Im suing Hearld Sun for everything they got.

Now who wants to split a 20 piece feed of KFC with me. Their shout.

May 8, 2006
Location, Location
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Unlisted
Yes I saw that goal replayed. Very nice, but not goal of the year standard in the AFL or VFL.
Low scoring is indicative of the major problems with the ALFW. Most of the players don't have the physical strength to kick or handball the ball far enough to clear congestion and create open, flowing football. This leads to scrambling, unattractive football of a low quality and very few scoring opportunities. I know it's not PC to say so, (which makes me more determined to say it), but the gap in quality between the women's and men's version of the game is far more pronounced in AFL than in any other sport. This is not an attack on women. It's simply a fact of nature that they are slower and physically weaker than men and this makes women's versions of all sports an inferior, restricted competition.
You're comparing a fledgling competition to a long-established, fully professional one. AFLW has come along nicely as it develops and the more we invest in it the more it will continue to develop. There's actually a lot to like about the standard of the AFLW game, if you're willing to give it a chance and view it as its own league rather than holding it up against its much better supported older brother.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
You're comparing a fledgling competition to a long-established, fully professional one. AFLW has come along nicely as it develops and the more we invest in it the more it will continue to develop. There's actually a lot to like about the standard of the AFLW game, if you're willing to give it a chance and view it as its own league rather than holding it up against its much better supported older brother.
I'd argue that the standard is worse now than it was a few years ago as they've added more teams and watered down the talent pool.
Having said that, I do agree that it's just a fledgling competition and needs more time to develop. I'm sure it will improve given time.
I just can't abide the AFL's media wing trying to promote it as an equal, alternative version of the men's game.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Fellas, who has the kickout stats from 2020? Somebody posted a table a few weeks ago. Tried searching but couldn't find it
Think Andrew Birch had the article ......IIRC it may have been a HS article ?

But Andrew can help

Not a trade ....But fook.

Watching line of duty.

A shoot out.

2 guns go off ..

Then the screen goes black.

No more eps ...fooook.

This is fine..
Not fine.
It's a brilliant show. Can't wait for Monday to see who dies...

It's a brilliant show. Can't wait for Monday to see who dies...
Shut up kents!

Great show but I download it once it's finished so Mrs OA & I can binge watch the season!

Thanks, never heard of it.

Downloading S1 & S2.

Try these,kenty.

The take.
Inside men.
The bay.
Des.
Unforgotton.
Apple tree yard.
Top boy.
Shetland.
Marcella.
Bodyguard.
Broadchurch.
State of play.
The shadow line.
Luther.
River.
What remains.

Some of these are easy to watch on Stan or Netflix.

Tally hooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back