Prediction Changes: Round 6 Vs North Melbourne + Pre-match discussion

Team, with the game day thread only a few hours away and the sensitive nature of the topic, we are going to let this thread discuss all things do to with the game AND accept the fact not discussing politics would be difficult in this situation.

We will be lenient on political talk, however, it does not mean we’ll allow shitty twitter opinion posts from any South American fluffy horse-like creatures and it does not mean you can degrade / be rude to other posters (sarcastic or otherwise).

Now let’s all go enjoy the fact it is a long weekend discriminating variant and we can do essentially whatever we want tonight

Ya mods
Snuffaluphagus, BeinPurplenGreen, Tonga Bob

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
3) I don't think he was the reason that Taberner got the goals he did; Taberner got the opportunities because of the midfield getting the ball in fast and well positioned. Additionally the two "first pick" talls were clearly Taberner and Lobb; Treacy was playing as a high third half forward; the argument about structure is fairly superficial IMO as the role he was playing on the weekend could be played by Sturt or even arguably Meek.

Nice to see someone give kudos to our midfield and ball movement.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't have thought Chapman would be in the next 5 midfielders picked and Watson definitely isn't the next best player at Peel.

Wasn’t sure there was a great deal wrong with the 22 that played the last three quarters against Adelaide tbh.

Only consideration is whether you leave Treacy in the side or not. If you don’t maybe then you consider another mid and Fyfe plays more forward.

Leaning towards keeping Treacy in and replacing him with Sturt the week after if it doesn’t work.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Treacy was kicking set shots from outside 50 in that Peel scratchie a few weeks back, from memory. They were travelling through comfortably with distance to spare.
He got a couple of similar chances the other day and dropped one well short and didn’t even take the other on.
As an aside, when was the last time a Freo player kicked a goal from a set shot outside the 50m arc?

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Treacy was kicking set shots from outside 50 in that Peel scratchie a few weeks back, from memory. They were travelling through comfortably with distance to spare.
He got a couple of similar chances the other day and dropped one well short and didn’t even take the other on.
As an aside, when was the last time a Freo player kicked a goal from a set shot outside the 50m arc?
This week Darcy.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Sturt did a couple the first week he came back for Peel.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think there are a number of reasons Treacy should and (I predict) will get dropped:
(1) He was clearly struggling to keep up at the end of the game and his opponents were running off him in the last quarter. This wasn't the case in his first game (his time on ground was more in his first game 84% versus 76%), and suggests that he is accumulating fatigue across games which is understandable at this stage in his career. Looking at it from a positive perspective, wouldn't it be better to bring him in fresh after a rest from a confidence perspective, rather than have him in the team, him at best get that opportunity to kick that first goal that everyone keeps talking about but then due to fatigue messes up and dents his confidence?;
(2) On balance of statistics versus actuality he had a pretty poor game with no score, only two marks and a single tackle; I can accept that in the first half he dragged his opponent up the ground which may have been useful but he didn't tackle like he did in the first game. You have to consider the fairness across players playing similar roles; Henry and then Sturt also suffered one game dumpings for not doing much (although both scored goals which is more than Treacy has done); if you are a coach you are going to question yourself as to why should Treacy get special treatment over those two? There is a slight counter argument to this which is that Lobb, who played even worse than Treacy, will almost definitely play next week.
(3) I don't think he was the reason that Taberner got the goals he did; Taberner got the opportunities because of the midfield getting the ball in fast and well positioned. Additionally the two "first pick" talls were clearly Taberner and Lobb; Treacy was playing as a high third half forward; the argument about structure is fairly superficial IMO as the role he was playing on the weekend could be played by Sturt or even arguably Meek.
Good argument on the fitness angle. Particularly as Treacy didn't get in any footy last year.

Although I'd generally be in favour of giving a debutante three or four games in a row to start with, especially at this time of year. It gives them a good chance to get more of a sample size of playing at the level.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sunday. When big Darcy nailed one :)
Haha to be fair I think that mark was taken just inside 50 or even on the line maybe.
Nice to see Hodor has a decent boot on him though that surprised me. I reckon Sturt is capable of kicking one from 60m plus and maybe Treacy but that’s about it.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, would have thought it's a great week to have Treacy kick at least a first goal. Certainly no issues with intercepting marking last week with the three talls having to be kept accountable by Adelaide's tall defenders. Same against WC the week after. Hard for McGov and Barrass to go roaming for the intercept marking like previously when they have three very tall contested marking forwards they have to keep accountable. Particularly given we haven't lost any speed with Colyer, Freddie, Schultz and Walters flying around the F50 at high speed (maybe Walters aside).
Was Treacy manned by Doedee? That bloke was killing us and earned some coaches votes.

It will come down to whether Treacy played his role and team structure because he had minimal impact on the game aside from 9 pressure acts and a couple of marks. To be fair Sturt had bugger all impact the week before (particularly first half) and found himself back at Peel.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Was Treacy manned by Doedee? That bloke was killing us and earned some coaches votes.

It will come down to whether Treacy played his role and team structure because he had minimal impact on the game aside from 9 pressure acts and a couple of marks. To be fair Sturt had bugger all impact the week before (particularly first half) and found himself back at Peel.

Kelly manned Treacey for the most part. Doedee floated around.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kelly manned Treacey for the most part. Doedee floated around.
Fair enough those tosser commentators on fox were giving Treacy a hard time in the last quarter and mentioned that he had let Doedee dominate. Probably switched up on him at that one moment.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am hoping Traecy stays as well. Norths backline isn't great and I can see him kick a couple of set shot goals this week too.

Exactly it's not even about surviving in the team all year at present - imagine the confidence an 18 year old gets in kicking a couple in front of a big home crowd. So much motivation and belief to reach heights.

The same thing happened for Brennan Cox - first year player who came in and kicked a couple of goals, was then dropped for a period and reinvented in the backline. The dude has worked so hard in a short period to become a permanent feature of the playing 22.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Haha to be fair I think that mark was taken just inside 50 or even on the line maybe.
Nice to see Hodor has a decent boot on him though that surprised me. I reckon Sturt is capable of kicking one from 60m plus and maybe Treacy but that’s about it.

I think Fyfe kicked one from outside the arc in our last game of 2020 against the WB.

Lobb had the distance from a shot outside of 50m on the weekend. I've seen him kick a goal from GWS from a set shot outside 50m.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills

Need one of the backmen to run through (Willo, Ryan etc.) and get one!

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
Yeah this. The last two times we've played them have been just about the two biggest floggings we've given out in recent years, and we've only improved since then whilst they've gone backwards. We should smash them
If we lose to Norf this board will go feral 🐗. That rookie Tonga Bob might even get to break out his banzhammer for its first use...

Back