Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Integrating into some footy next week, 3-4 week build up
Another positive rehabilitation progression is the improvement of defender Patrick Ambrose and his recovery from a foot injury.

Murphy said the 29-year-old will re-join main training soon after building up his running loads over the past several weeks.

“Paddy Ambrose is the other who is making some really strong steps to make an integration back into the program,” Murphy said.

“He’s got some good running loads under his belt. He’ll now progress into integrating into some footy next week and we’ve built his program up in the next three to four weeks.

“Hopefully it’s all smooth sailing and we’ll get him back playing sooner rather than later.”

Full forward, and full game time this week... could be closer than we thought.

Patrick Ambrose

“Patty played just over a half. He played full-forward, had three shots at goal and kicked the first goal of the game which was really exciting for the group. The boys celebrated pretty hard with that because he’s been out for so long. He got his game time up, he competed really well and he should be right for a full game this week so I’m really pleased for him.”

And from the injury report...
Experienced defender Patrick Ambrose marked a major milestone in his recovery from a foot injury by lining up in the VFL Bombers’ practice match against Frankston last Friday night.

The 29-year-old will travel to Brisbane to play in the VFL side’s round one fixture against the Lions to gain more match fitness as he builds towards full game-time.

“It was really exciting to see Paddy Ambrose take part in the VFL game on Friday night,” Murphy said.

“He played 65 minutes and he’ll increase his minutes this week.

“It’s been a big injury he’s had with that Lisfranc, so it’s really important to see him out there.

“He’ll go really well again this week with no restrictions and get a full game under his belt.”

Last edited:
Got through a full game in the VFL!

Patrick Ambrose
Stats: 10 disposals, six marks

“Patty presented pretty well. He took six marks and he pretty much got through the full game. He did what he needed to do from the fitness point of view, so that was good.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full minutes (as noted from the VFL review), now to build on it and push his case for the seniors. Also described as a defender in the video update too.

In positive news, veteran defender Patrick Ambrose successfully played a full game for Essendon’s VFL side in its season opener against the Lions.

The 29-year-old will look to continue building more match fitness to raise his hand at the selection table in the coming weeks.

“It was Paddy’s second game back from that Lisfranc injury,” Murphy said.

“He played a full game this time round which was excellent.

“It was really good for him to travel and get that game under his belt and play full minutes.

“He’ll just build on that now and keep pushing his case.”

Bit disappointed TBH. One of the things I've liked is the idea of Ambrose forward.

Not that he'd be any good (bricks for hands) or that I think he's completely no good down back. Just that the potential move forward was palatable from a rebuild perspective. He could be a body until the likes of Jones, Bryan, Baldwin etc were more developed and not played ahead of defenders who are (or should be) more ready.

Bit disappointed TBH. One of the things I've liked is the idea of Ambrose forward.

Not that he'd be any good (bricks for hands) or that I think he's completely no good down back. Just that the potential move forward was palatable from a rebuild perspective. He could be a body until the likes of Jones, Bryan, Baldwin etc were more developed and not played ahead of defenders who are (or should be) more ready.
Fair call but he could also be a big body until the backs are ready too. Btz and Laverde (has been ok) could use more time developing craft in VFL. Ridley and Hurley are out. No Hooker. Heppell is out of form and slow. Reid looked good but will possibly need a rest at some point. Pretty thin. Basically leaves Francis, Redman and Hind holding it up heaven forbid one of them go down. Plenty of teams have three talls now. I reckon for balance of youth and experience they should play this..
Hind, Ridley, Redman
Reid, Francis, Ambrose
Heppell on the bench
Just my two cents though

Think he'll plug holes at either end, whilst we have Hooker, Stringer & Wright all available to play up front, and a lack of a genuine FB (BZT is very raw still) it makes more sense for him to play in defence at AFL level though. Gives us a more stronger presence back there to take some pressure off the young guys from being smashed around by a big KPF like Dixon / Hawkins. Ridley & Francis really are best in a loose role where they can play the ball.

He is not going into defense . Get used to it. Truck is sticking to the young blokes .
But what if Hurley comes back as well? Surely wouldn’t have Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose all in the forward line. Stewart will definitely go back when he returns, don’t see why not Ambrose if he gets back earlier

Remove this Banner Ad

Back