Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Commonwealth Bank are the new major sponsors of the Matildas and will be the official banking partner

I can’t quite get over how much I hate this strip. It looks like shitty training kit.

How many of these who played this morning would have been selected if the coach could have chosen Australian based players?

Useful reality checks these games. The Germans, Dutch, Swedish and French look a fair way ahead of where Australia is, and the US is still well ahead of all of those.

Pretty woeful effort even with a few novices getting games.

Fowler made a terrible backpass for the first goal. Arnold sydney harbour bridged a regulation long shot near the post - 2-0. (Surely Tegan Micah is a better goalie if she can recover from injury in time for the Olympics). The 3rd goal was good pressure on our defence until we coughed it up.

Dylan Holmes came into midfield replacing Fowler for her first run in the 2nd half, and looked quite competant hitting targets with her passing - actually had the clearest chance to score, but deep in defence she tried to clear the ball across goal and kicked it directly to a Dutch player 10m out for an easy finish. The other goal was from a good long cross that split our defence and the ball was chipped over Arnold as she came out to the edge of the penalty box.

Three goals from clear mistakes but more disappointing were the senior players who let themselves down with basic technique and passing. Van Egmond especially sluggish again. Foord and Raso for every time they won the ball off their opponents would just as often give it straight back.

Can't really think of any good players in this game. Luik and Goad were pretty honest defensively despite the ocassional mistakes - and that's about it. Kerr tried hard running around everywhere like she always does to provide a target but couldn't get into the game with the horrible passes, and also being caught offside with her runs.

Compared to the Germany game, we did have far more opportunities to score and the Dutch defenders actually looked a bit nervous at times when we pressed them but there was too much individual play when we got our chances near the box. More than just a symptom of the players not being familiar with each others game.

Last edited:
Pretty woeful effort even with a few novices getting games.

Fowler made a terrible backpass for the first goal. Arnold sydney harbour bridged a regulation long shot near the post - 2-0. (Surely Tegan Micah is a better goalie if she can recover from injury in time for the Olympics). The 3rd goal was good pressure on our defence until we coughed it up.

Dylan Holmes came into midfield replacing Fowler for her first run in the 2nd half, and looked quite competant hitting targets with her passing - actually had the clearest chance to score, but deep in defence she tried to clear the ball across goal and kicked it directly to a Dutch player 10m out for an easy finish. The other goal was from a good long cross that split our defence and the ball was chipped over Arnold as she came out to the edge of the penalty box.

Three goals from clear mistakes but more disappointing were the senior players who let themselves down with basic technique and passing. Van Egmond especially sluggish again. Foord and Raso for every time they won the ball off their opponents would just as often give it straight back.

Can't really think of any good players in this game. Luik and Goad were pretty honest defensively despite the ocassional mistakes - and that's about it. Kerr tried hard running around everywhere like she always does to provide a target but couldn't get into the game with the horrible passes, and also being caught offside with her runs.

Compared to the Germany game, we did have far more opportunities to score and the Dutch defenders actually looked a bit nervous at times when we pressed them but there was too much individual play when we got our chances near the box. More than just a symptom of the players not being familiar with each others game.

Good write-up. I'm sure Gustavsson is already discounting the Olympics and looking ahead to the 2023 World Cup. Samantha Lewis puts it well:

These two friendlies, then, are not just a wake-up call to Gustavsson and his squad as the next four-year cycle begins. They are also a wake-up call to Football Australia and the domestic structures – both at W-League and national team level – that must improve if Australia is to develop the kind of depth required to compete in this emerging international landscape.

If that's the case, 2023 might already be a stretch and 2027 should be the target for Football Australia.

After the first 2 goals it was very, very clear how this was going - I rolled over and went to sleep.

Sounds like the best decision I made las night.

Good write-up. I'm sure Gustavsson is already discounting the Olympics and looking ahead to the 2023 World Cup. Samantha Lewis puts it well:

These two friendlies, then, are not just a wake-up call to Gustavsson and his squad as the next four-year cycle begins. They are also a wake-up call to Football Australia and the domestic structures – both at W-League and national team level – that must improve if Australia is to develop the kind of depth required to compete in this emerging international landscape.

If that's the case, 2023 might already be a stretch and 2027 should be the target for Football Australia.

Unfortunately, I don't think waiting through a four year cycle will be too much help. Women's football is improving around the world, maybe at a faster rate than here. I'm not sure we'll keep up let alone go past everyone. Plus the WAFL will drain more numbers.
It will probably end up like our mens team, send our youth to Europe for best development.

Matildas play USA Sweden and New Zealand at the Olympics

The Westfield Matildas have been drawn in Group G for the Women's Football Tournament at Tokyo 2020.

Australia will take on USA, Sweden, and New Zealand in the country's fourth appearance at the Olympic Games.

The Westfield Matildas have previously faced the USA and Sweden at the Olympic level, while the Football Ferns are Australia's most frequent opponent dating back to Australia's first 'A' international in 1979.

Australia will open their tournament in Group G against FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 cohost and neighbour, New Zealand on 21 July.

AUSTRALIA - GROUP G MATCHES
Australia v New Zealand
21 July 2021
Kick Off: 21:30 (AEST)
Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo

Sweden v Australia
24 July 2021
Kick Off: 18:30 (AEST)
Saitama Stadium 2002, Saitama

United States v Australia
27 July 2021
Kick Off: 18:00 (AEST)
Kashima Stadium, Kashima

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Sam Kerr is the greatest export this country has produced . Star in Aus , Star in USA , now a star in ENG . She is Harry Kewell level super star .

We smashed Denmark.... apart from the score.

58% possession
53% territory
15-4 shots
10-1 on target
440-260 passes
36-18 balls in box

but....
0-8 saves
2 own goals
Lost 2-3

10 minutes of sh*t awful defending killed us. Unbelievable.

A few things that i find hard to square away .
1 . This obsession with playing out from the back , every one knows we are going too, they are waiting for it , surely every now and then a long one over the top to our pacey front line is not asking for too much .
2 . I don't think 3 at the back suits us , especially with Carpenter as one of them . We are not that good at the back to do this. We need a back 4 .
3 . I know we haven't played together for over a year against teams that have had 7-8 competitive matches in that time , but our women have not been in cotton wool . The passes over hit , or under hit were a big worry . The over the top trying to get Kerr in was way too obvious .
4. Every one knows we can attack with the best of them , every one is working out we can't defend for s**t. No coincidence that we looked far more dangerous when our youngsters came on and went for it.
5. We really need a result against European opposition , just to put that load of crap to bed.
6. The Matildas have done us proud, i just want us to keep on progressing .

Much better defensive effort , can't remember any time during the match when we put them under sustained pressure going forward .
Raso had a good game ,same with the keeper . A draw probably a fair result IMO.

Much better defensive effort , can't remember any time during the match when we put them under sustained pressure going forward .
Raso had a good game ,same with the keeper . A draw probably a fair result IMO.

Yeah, looking forward to watching the replay later. Interesting that they tried Carpenter up front towards the end. There is an over-reliance on Kerr.

Yeah, looking forward to watching the replay later. Interesting that they tried Carpenter up front towards the end. There is an over-reliance on Kerr.

Carpenter started back and finished as a forward mid. Catley was left back and then was shifted to a wing. Raso started as a defender and finished as an attacker.

It might be something to do with finding players who can play multiple roles during a tournament or during a game with there only being a squad of 18 for the olympics - at least that's something I heard Gustavson mention that he was looking for in making decisions on his final squad in an interview he did prior to the Denmark game.

We actually have a lot of forwards - Simon, Foord, Gielnik, Raso, Fowler who could all partner with Kerr up front.

Thought Polkinghorne was the best player over the 2 games. Raso was indefatigable but her technique lets her down sometimes - playing the ball too far ahead of her or not being able to stop it close to her feet. Lucky she's so quick when she shows the ball to the opposition she can usually get there quick enough to recover it.

Micah was flawless. Way ahead of Arnold for mine as a GK option. The other starting debutant, Cooney-Cross showed quite a bit the longer the game went.

I'm not really convinced Yallop is up to it, but she also has played multiple roles over the last couple of games.

Last edited:
Carpenter started back and finished as a forward mid. Catley was left back and then was shifted to a wing. Raso started as a defender and finished as an attacker.

It might be something to do with finding players who can play multiple roles during a tournament or during a game with there only being a squad of 18 for they olympics - at least that's something I heard Gustavson mention that he was looking for in making decisions on his final squad in an interview he did prior to the Denmark game.

We actually have a lot of forwards - Simon, Foord, Gielnik, Raso, Fowler could all partner with Kerr up front.

Thought Polkinghorne was the best player over the 2 games. Raso was indefatiguable but her technique lets her down sometimes - playing the ball too far ahead of her or not being able to stop it close to her feet. Lucky she's so quick when she shows the ball to the opposition she can usually get there quick enough to recover it.

Micah was flawless. Way ahead of Arnold for mine as a GK option. The other starting debutant, Cooney-Cross showed quite a bit the longer the game went.

I'm not really convinced Yallop is up to it, but she also has played multiple roles over the last couple of games.

True but we never seem to have found someone that works well with her. They all seem to play as individuals. Compare that to how she works with Kirby and Harder at Chelsea.

True but we never seem to have found someone that works well with her. They all seem to play as individuals. Compare that to how she works with Kirby and Harder at Chelsea.

Yeah probably the best chance (apart from the one that Kerr hit into the cross bar when she fooled the Swedes by making it look like she was going to centre a pass) was the one with Kerr out on the right centering to Simon who just didn't hit it hard enough.

But Kerr and Foord have played together a lot and Kerr and Simon have been teammates from juniors so there should be some synergy there. Simon has had so many injury issues that she hasn't played that often for the Matildas over the last 5 years and Foord didn't play and looked out of touch in the last game.

Maybe Foord is carrying an injury because she didn't get any game time and I think the last few games she played for Arsenal she was a sub - where at one point during the season she had scored as many goals as Kerr in the Barclay's Womens League. I only see the highlights of the UK league, but Kerr seems to be as much a provider as a scorer. (i.e. not strictly playing as the main striker).

Forget how many minutes Kerr played this morning but she was subbed off before the end - and I think after that might have been when Carpenter was making more runs forward.

The optimist in me hope we ran a stack of mids and defenders late in the game on Sweden as to hold back on how we intend to face them in the Olympics .

Matildas squad for the Olympics. Just announced earlier today that the squads will be expanded from 18 to 22 players. Not sure if this means the 4 players alrdeady named as add-ons will all make it in the extended squad.

Other than Logarzo, who I thought was injured, there an no real surprises for me. Micah deserves a spot ahead of Arnold, maybe even ahead of Williams as the No 1 GK.

Matildas team locked in for Tokyo with official Olympic selection | Matildas

Matildas squad for the Olympics. Just announced earlier today that the squads will be expanded from 18 to 22 players. Not sure if this means the 4 players alrdeady named as add-ons will all make it in the extended squad.

Other than Logarzo, who I thought was injured, there an no real surprises for me. Micah deserves a spot ahead of Arnold, maybe even ahead of Williams as the No 1 GK.

Matildas team locked in for Tokyo with official Olympic selection | Matildas

Yep, it is what it is. For me, KCC and Fowler are the start of a rebuild that we'll start to see after the Olympics based around those younger players (includes Carpenter). Agree with you on Micah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back