Steve Smith as Captain

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
It's fairly obvious they set their sights on Mitch Marsh being a future Captain but he just wasn't up to it.

Their next hope is probably Head unless they go back to Smith. I personally don't think the Captaincy choice is a big deal as it's clear it's all the Coach these days but PR is most important to CA and after throwing Smith under the bus it'd take a serious marketing campaign to sell that 180 to the public.

I don't like the ideas of giving it to Cummins in Tests. We are already immensly lucky he's stayed as fit as he has and I don't like the idea of him pushing himself too far with the ball when a game is going against us. In the shorter forms I would be fine with it after Finch is gone however.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Marnus is not leadership material. Smith 2.0
He’s still very young, which is easy to forget given his immense achievements with the bat. Plenty of time to mature. Don’t see him being Paine’s successor, but he could well be next in line after that.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Surely if you are the captain at the centre of cheating by applying sandpaper to a cricket ball you should never be allowed to lead your country again?

Surely?
Agree - just pick the next best candidate, whoever that may be, but it can’t be Smith in my view

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Has there ever been any Cricket player that was banned for life for ball tempering?

Considering that I am pretty confident the answer to that is no, then he is not lucky to be in the side at all.

There's ball tampering and there's ball tampering.

He didn't just lift the seam or rub lollies on the ball. He was the captain and approved destroying one side of it with sandpaper.

In terms of ball tampering, this is the worst case that I can recall. Anybody who thinks he is fit to captain the national team is devoid of morals. He's damned lucky it wasn't a 5-10 year ban which would have ended his international career anyway.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
There's ball tampering and there's ball tampering.

He didn't just lift the seam or rub lollies on the ball. He was the captain and approved destroying one side of it with sandpaper.

In terms of ball tampering, this is the worst case that I can recall. Anybody who thinks he is fit to captain the national team is devoid of morals. He's damned lucky it wasn't a 5-10 year ban which would have ended his international career anyway.
New Zealand admitted to ball tampering with bottle caps 30 years ago. No one cares.

No one is saying they should have used sandpaper but everyone tempers with the ball. If some people actually think he was lucky to not get a career-ending ban then I have to question how much they know about Cricket. If anything he was unlucky to get the ban he got.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
New Zealand admitted to ball tampering with bottle caps 30 years ago. No one cares.

No one is saying they should have used sandpaper but everyone tempers with the ball. If some people actually think he was lucky to not get a career-ending ban then I have to question how much they know about Cricket. If anything he was unlucky to get the ban he got.

Back