European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you weren't so self righteous about your club and other clubs you would be worthwhile engaging with.

But as you are PMSL will do.

Bad call.

I'm self deprecating about my club.

I see the funny side to us being in the PL and beating some of these teams.

Not that you give off any kind of funny vibe at all.

Wasn't just Man U fans.

Your fans were dicks for a long time telling everyone how great Leeds were and how sh*t their club was. So when you went under plenty of neutral fans took great delight in it.

And now you're back many have reverted back to being the same kind of dicks again.
All clubs have dick fans that act similar way. Whether it’s telling others how great their own are etc etc

Weren’t Brighton fans saying amongst all the Ben White bs at start of the season that Leeds wouldn’t be in their class/ below them? At their height did Leeds fans act any different to teams in similar position? Of course not. Dick swinging. Get off your high horse

All clubs have dick fans that act similar way. Whether it’s telling others how great their own are etc etc

Weren’t Brighton fans saying amongst all the Ben White bs at start of the season that Leeds wouldn’t be in their class/ below them? At their height did Leeds fans act any different to teams in similar position? Of course not. Dick swinging. Get off your high horse

Not so. Charlton fans are great. BFF.

Brighton fans were taking the piss out of Leeds fans because they were so full of themselves belittling Brighton so the Brighton fans trolled the s**t out of them.

We're very much a cautious, more on the side of being negative (expecting the worse) fan base if you knew anything about our fans.

All clubs might have some dick fans, but some clubs have a hell of a lot more than others.

Bit cringe to see a few in here defending their clubs after what's transpired. Actually pretty surprised everyone isn't hoping for punishment, just because it's their club that's been caught.
Not your finest moment. This has seen almost universal condemnation from fans of these clubs, and most wanting their owners out.

We never had this big pyramid of clubs going up and down, nor the US.

Also the majority of people in the UK support clubs which aren’t the big 6.
Well here is an adjusted super league system that I think is far more fair and provides the best of both worlds.

Division A 12 Teams
- Each team plays twice.
- Top 6 Qualify for final with 1 and 2 getting a bye while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. You get the point
- 2 Teams relegated to division B, with losers of 9v12 and 10v11 getting relegated.

Division B 16 Teams
- Each team plays twice
- No finals, just winners of 1v4 and 2v3 get promoted
- bottom 4 Teams eliminated back to their country competitions, replaced by 4 new clubs

How you decide who gets to be promoted, I'm not sure. I'm thinking at the end of every season, winner of EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and all the minor leagues have some form of qualifying to get them into the league. 4 teams qualify to get promoted. This way, you can still gain access to the league.

Teams to start the comp
Div A: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, PSG
Div B: Sevilla, Valencia, Arsenal, Tottenham, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma, Leipzig, Lyon, Monaco, AJAX, Porto, Benfica, Shakhtar, Zenit, Galatasaray

Edit: Teams will still play in their domestic cups but no more domestic leagues

Not so. Charlton fans are great. BFF.

Brighton fans were taking the piss out of Leeds fans because they were so full of themselves belittling Brighton so the Brighton fans trolled the sh*t out of them.

We're very much a cautious, more on the side of being negative (expecting the worse) fan base if you knew anything about our fans.

All clubs might have some dick fans, but some clubs have a hell of a lot more than others.
I wouldn’t know about Charlton, never been to one of their games
It depends position club is in. For Leeds fans before s**t hit the fan after some moderate CL success would act similar to Spurs fans today ..oh we should be in top 4 yada yada.

More micro world of BF AFL forum, most fans act the same, teams that win multiple flags, those who don’t quite get there, those that don’t win finals for over 15 years...well ....ahem
Good and bad everywhere. I reckon % wise similar each club ...two or three posters that may s**t you on here may magnify your negative WC feelings towards that particular club

Well here is an adjusted super league system that I think is far more fair and provides the best of both worlds.

Division A 12 Teams
- Each team plays twice.
- Top 6 Qualify for final with 1 and 2 getting a bye while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. You get the point
- 2 Teams relegated to division B, with losers of 9v12 and 10v11 getting relegated.

Division B 16 Teams
- Each team plays twice
- bottom 4 Teams eliminated back to their country competitions, replaced by 4 new clubs

How you decide who gets to be promoted, I'm not sure. I'm thinking at the end of every season, winner of EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and all the minor leagues have some form of qualifying to get them into the league. 4 teams qualify to get promoted. This way, you can still gain access to the league.

Teams to start the comp
Div A: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, PSG
Div B: Sevilla, Valencia, Arsenal, Tottenham, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma, Leipzig, Lyon, Monaco, AJAX, Porto, Benfica, Shakhtar, Zenit, Galatasaray

**** no. Finals?..no domestic leagues? how utterly boring....arrest this man. Let me guess ..you love 20/20?

**** no. Finals?..no domestic leagues? how utterly boring....arrest this man
Soccer is currently boring. Same teams winning all their domestic leagues all the time. That is the definition of boring. At least you will get some surprises winning the league nowadays as both this comp and the league comps will be more even.

Btw, I love Test Cricket, also love t20. Can love both

Soccer is currently boring. Same teams winning all their domestic leagues all the time. That is the definition of boring. At least you will get some surprises winning the league nowadays as both this comp and the league comps will be more even.

Yeah nah.

Leicester wasn't a surprise? Liverpool won their first Premier League title last season. Man City were in tier 3 as recently as 1999. The relegation battles can be just as exciting as the top of the table. There's a chance West Ham will qualify for the Champions League for the first time ever.

Well you can deeply love the gracious and beautiful lady that is Test Cricket but the mini-skirted made-up hussy that is Big Bash is strictly for flings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly throughout this whole Super League debacle, Spurs have been trolled so hard. It's been pretty hilarious.
I'm only a casual fan of the EPL, don't even have a club I support.

Can you explain to me if this Tottenham trolling is a regular thing?

As in the same way we troll St Kilda for their perennial troubles, or people troll North for being poor?

Or is this a new thing with Tottenham? They've been trolled like crazy the last few days.

Must say that this thread absolutely exploded. Only the first 26 posts (in 2018 and 2019) were posted prior to last Sunday.
Yes, I posted the other day that in one day it grew around 45 pages in less than 24 hours.

Think it's the fastest growing thread ever on this board.

I'm only a casual fan of the EPL, don't even have a club I support.

Can you explain to me if this Tottenham trolling is a regular thing?

As in the same way we troll St Kilda for their perennial troubles, or people troll North for being poor?

Or is this a new thing with Tottenham? They've been trolled like crazy the last few days.

I think it is the utter absurdity of a club with a grand total of 2 league titles supposing it is "super". Clubs like Everton and Aston Villa have more history in the away dressing rooms toilet.

Leeds took their medicine, they didn’t try to railroad all of European football to solve their issues.

That’s why it’s hilarious, “You can’t punish the fans with penalties”

It wasn’t Leeds’ fans fault either.

Unfortunately, these club supporters are just going to have to cop their medicine for supporting these clubs.

Imgine being trolled for ANYTHING by one of these 6 clubs in the future....
Not close to starting? Lay off the kool aid...

Yes an ill informed proposal that somehow managed to secure contractual funding to the tune of $12 billion from one of the biggest hedge funds in the world.

Equity distributions had already been decided.

Not bad for a "proposal"

You forgot to mention the £8m sign up fee each club paid. Just a small smoking gun I would have thought? Why would you pay an establishment fee of that magnitude for just a "proposal"?

It's ******* hilarious the back tracking. Next week the super league saga will have never existed at all and Klopp was the one that saved football.
That is one quality melt

I think it is the utter absurdity of a club with a grand total of 2 league titles supposing it is "super". Clubs like Everton and Aston Villa have more history in the away dressing rooms toilet.
Nottingham Forest have more European Cup trophies than Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Spurs and Atleti. Equal with Juve.

I wouldn’t know about Charlton, never been to one of their games
It depends position club is in. For Leeds fans before sh*t hit the fan after some moderate CL success would act similar to Spurs fans today ..oh we should be in top 4 yada yada.

More micro world of BF AFL forum, most fans act the same, teams that win multiple flags, those who don’t quite get there, those that don’t win finals for over 15 years...well ....ahem
Good and bad everywhere. I reckon % wise similar each club ...two or three posters that may sh*t you on here may magnify your negative WC feelings towards that particular club

I don't base my views on BF. I base it on 20 years of being around other fans on English forums.

It's how you come to realise some fan bases are far more racist than others, some fan bases are far more homophobic than others and some fan bases have a far more inflated view of themselves than others.

To point out another club whose fans were full of themselves and loved to let everyone know how they were a bigger better clubs than your club, Sheffield Wednesday. Just complete deluded dicks they were for a long, long time.

Division A 12 Teams
- Each team plays twice.

Division B 16 Teams
- Each team plays twice

Teams to start the comp

Funnily I was also thinking about this last night and came up with something somewhat similar. Here are my changes.

Division A 12 Teams. Division B 12 teams.

Super League winner is the team with the most wins in Division A over a 22 game season. No finals. Bottom 2-3 teams in Division A drop out, top 2-3 teams in Division B go up. Bottom 4 teams in Division B out, replaced (either via domestic placings/Europa/some sort of mix of the two).

For finals, the champions league still exists and is run concurrent to the Super League and largely in it's current format. Except, all teams in the Super League also automatically play UCL. The remaining 8 spots come from domestic placings/Europa finalists. What this would mean in practice in the EPL for example...

Let's say Man City and Man Utd would be Div A, Leicester in Div B, and let's say these three teams were top of EPL. There would then be room for one more spot, which could be won by whoever finished fourth - essentially exactly the same as it is now.

I feel this gives everybody what they want. RM gets to play against top sides across Europe and gets more big time games to keep money flowing. There is still a totally open competition that anyone in Europe can go up and down in. UCL itself is largely unchanged.

Edit: Also I disagree with your "teams to start the comp". Teams to start the comp should be based on current placings. Yes that means Leicester in and Liverpool out - as a Liverpool fan I'd relish the chance for us to win our way in legitimately.

Last edited:
Back