Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

A cautionary tale to the “take the best available tall forward” brigade
There is nothing wrong with the mantra, you just have to judge the talent right.

That said, after the 2011-2016 drafts it would take some cojones to take a 200cm tall in the top 5. Boyd, Patton (probably unfair as the ACLs cooked him), Schache etc.

Mind you, 2 x King gives you some confidence.

The melts on here will be strong if he does this at AFL level.
(Still 100% convinced we were right to get rid of him)

Two goals in two games is hardly alright stats for a 21 year old key forward trying to get back onto an AFL list. You’ve got to way above the level to get picked up again surely.

He wasn’t good enough and didn’t work hard enough - I’d rather give someone else a shot.

Also MSD rules mean we can’t pick Dixon up until the National Draft. Any of the other 17 clubs can though - not sure there’s much chance of that happening.

If we were going to give one of our old blokes another shot it’d be Strnadica. We’re 100% a ruckman short on the list.
2 goals to go along with 18 marks not bad numbers but yes needs to impact the score board more heavily

McCartin has spud written all over him even before head knocks.

Patton could play, would have been pretty good bar injury.
Patton was number one draft pick in name only. Chad Wingard was the consensus pick but he told everyone he was gonna request a trade to SA if they drafted him. And then they played together at Hawthorn. Funny how that worked out.

Patton was number one draft pick in name only. Chad Wingard was the consensus pick but he told everyone he was gonna request a trade to SA if they drafted him. And then they played together at Hawthorn. Funny how that worked out.
Nah Wingard was always top 5 but not number 1

Coniglio should have been number 1 but GWS took Patton at 1 instead, Wingard wouldve been top 5 (GWS had first 5 picks) had he not pulled that going home crap

Coniglio and Patton were both touted as the number 1s but most expected Cogs

The melts on here will be strong if he does this at AFL level.
(Still 100% convinced we were right to get rid of him)
Even if he smashes it, the situation was bad for him and us. If half the rumours are true about him showing up pissed and late to important meetings/sessions he needed to be gone for the benefit of the club.

I also think he's been mentally weak in regards to having a sulk when things don't go his way on field (NOT in his personal life, which to be fair I wouldn't have wished on my worst enemy), so easy to frustrate at AFL level, and I'm not expecting great things.

Hope he's developed, grown up and found some peace, and that he can have the career his talent promised.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wasn't going to work out here because there was no slipping under the radar.

He was showing good form towards the end of last year, kicked a bag or 2 for us but he was public enemy number 1 here, over in Sydney nobody knows who he is so he can do as he pleases.

Alot of the Hogan bad boy stuff is overhyped as hell but thats what happens when you live in the WA footy fishbowl, in hindsight we don't grab him due to that but everyone can be a hindsight hero.

He will play good footy for GWS, he probably wouldn't have played good footy here with the media pressure.

It is what it is, we cut him loose and moved on and its probably the right decision even if it works out for him over there.

It wasn't going to work out here because there was no slipping under the radar.

He was showing good form towards the end of last year, kicked a bag or 2 for us but he was public enemy number 1 here, over in Sydney nobody knows who he is so he can do as he pleases.

Alot of the Hogan bad boy stuff is overhyped as hell but thats what happens when you live in the WA footy fishbowl, in hindsight we don't grab him due to that but everyone can be a hindsight hero.

He will play good footy for GWS, he probably wouldn't have played good footy here with the media pressure.

It is what it is, we cut him loose and moved on and its probably the right decision even if it works out for him over there.
I went to my local here in Sydney a month ago for a coffee, and sitting there downing a large breakfast was Lance Buddy Franklin. I said g'day but nobody else around even seemed to know who Buddy Franklin is - he just goes about his business and gets ignored.

I went to my local here in Sydney a month ago for a coffee, and sitting there downing a large breakfast was Lance Buddy Franklin. I said g'day but nobody else around even seemed to know who Buddy Franklin is - he just goes about his business and gets ignored.
That's because every one from Sydney walks into a cafe and thinks they are the most important person in the room so they'd have no reason to see who else is around :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, perfect environment for him

Brett Peake playing for Albany Sharks against Us today .
Pretty bloody slick player
Kicked 4 goals first half

Must've finally tidied up his disposal.
Worth a 3rd chance ya reckon, Madas?
Looks good in this League Ogre , has kicked 8 so far ( playing full forward) , Quarter to go .
Probably would have given him a run in our terrible 2019 year but I reckon we've finally got some depth so don't need him 😉

Coniglio should have been number 1 but GWS took Patton at 1 instead, Wingard wouldve been top 5 (GWS had first 5 picks) had he not pulled that going home crap

I don't see anything crap about what Wingard did. Being drafted to an AFL club is not lifelong indentured servitude. He made it known that he'd fulfill his initial contract then return to SA, so clubs were at least forewarned with that knowledge before picking him. If more players did it then clubs would get ****ed over less often.

All the best for Jesse Hogan this Saturday against Adelaide.

We want GWS winning against our competition for the bottom half of the top eight and he will go a long way towards that, we've already beaten them, two games clear of them.

It's a very interesting round fixture wise. There are only two top eight clubs not playing another top eight club, Melbourne and Fremantle. The rest are all up against other teams which will shape the eight. We can't break into the top four this week with our percentage unless Sydney beat Geelong by a small margin in a high scoring game and we belt the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back