Coach Support a Carlton coach for once?

Remove this Banner Ad

More than happy to. Hardwick also had linear improvement in ladder position on the way to finals.

Scrapping into finals won't solve the obvious issues we have.

Primarily related to development, leadership and coaching group as a whole.

I think we all accept what we are seeing right now is not acceptable. Removal of another senior coach alone, wont fix our issues. Its broader than that

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Would you support the notion that scraping into finals would be growth? Of course there would still be issues, if there weren’t we would win a flag. It’s still growth/improvement. Even finishing 9th is improvement.

Teague is the best game day coach I have seen in ages - even during the worst 5+ goal runs he manages to claw his way back, he always identifies the issues and fixes them and makes a bold play for victory.

I would see Lyons, Voss etc come in for coaching the players during the week and Teague as tactical game day coach.
Ok dude, I was listening, now I’m off completely as you seem to be an unabashed apologist. Best game day coach? Goodness me...

While I agree that talks of sacking Teague are premature, comparing his output and therefore job security to that of Ratts' is a bit unfair.

Ratts won three finals and apart from his injury cruelled final season in 2012, increased the teams output significantly each year.

Teague has won a handful of games, it's chalk and cheese at this point.
Perhaps, but Ratts at that stage did not seem to have a plan B and it looks the Teague is in the same boat with the team floundering if his game plan falls over. What is disheartening is not so much the losses but the fact our young blokes (apart from Walsh that is.....) are not coming on under Teague, and I hope he rewards Stocker with a game this week as not only will it encourage him, but because he at least showed some hunger for the ball in the magoos!!! Too many of our senior blokes just don`t seem to be switched on enough, or are just not invested in the game plan of the coach.........:think:

Would you support the notion that scraping into finals would be growth? Of course there would still be issues, if there weren’t we would win a flag. It’s still growth/improvement. Even finishing 9th is improvement.
Depends on how we got there, did the gameplan create the wins? Did players progress and develop leading to that result?

It would be concerning if that papered over the cracks and created a false sense of where the footy department is at.

I don't see our board holding themselves to account and let alone wide ranging accountability in the footy department.

Ok.
Who do we bring in?
If you could replace the whole panel, and had an open cheque book and everyone agreed to join, who do you bring in?
this is my first post and i find myself agreeing with you a lot j-dog
i get headless when i think of how long johnny barker has been there - we need an extrovert fresh out of the game type - say heath shaw or similar
stick with teague for now but stay in contact with voss - he'll be better next time
play stocker and get kemp in when fit - maybe carrol too - stop trying to re invent players - setters was great in the guts last year, had real good tackle stats, so this year lets make him a winger - bolts tried to make ed curnow a forward, teague trying to make him a winger - he's a defensive mid
dow and o'brien have had enough chances - sps doesn't do enough and makes poor decisions - why is our kicking so poor????
BUT - i do think the list is getting better - williams, saad, fisher, martin make us better - jack kills them but can't get a run at it
make them watch tough hard teams like port adelaide and learn
big month coming up ....................

Exactly!
This seems to be an extraordinary overreaction by the media and supporters alike.
Many opposition supporters that i speak to dont think were that bad.
We've basically been in every game except one.

If we'd kicked 8.2 in that 2nd/3rd quarter period against Richmond instead of 8.2...we win!

In the 30 or so minutes we had the ball in our forward 50 against Collingwood but couldn't even barely manage a score,...we kick five goals (as we should have, minimum), we also win.

Against Port, we kicked inaccurately early when we were matching it with them, and they took their chances.
Against a 6th to 12th team, we probably come back and get close to stealing if not stealing the win.
But it was Port ffs!
Premiership favorites
Just beat 2020 premiers.
Bigger, stronger and in far better form than us, but people actually wanted nothing less than a win.
It was unrealistic when we did not nail our chances and they got out to a comfortable lead.
Good teams have a habit of making any team look slow and disinterested when they're in complete control of the game.

Can it be that we have a s*****d of players out of form at the same time?, and with no reserves competition until last weekend, there was no great gauge of player form in which to promote them.
A couple got a look, but if injuries didnt happen maybe they would have been still waiting?
No one was knocking the door down anyway, so we have what we have fit.

We can't possibly sack anyone again!!
We need to run the course and show some friggen faith in the people we appoint.
Block out media 'noise' and dont blink!

We blinked with Ratts
We blinked with Fev
We blinked with Robbo and Jeffy

2-3???

Youd swear we were 0-5 with a percentage of 26 the way people are carrying on.

GO BAGGERS!!!

I know, right?

We've played the top of the ladder from last year who just beat the premier and the premier. Our other loss came against a team who came sixth last season. It's too early to truly talk about form for this season; takes ten games to know roughly where you sit.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha nah we've changed it to 'not taking our chances in 30 minutes of dominance'!

Against Richmond and Collingwood that was the case and our inaccuracy in the first half against Port cost us hugely.
Port were never going to let us back in and we didn't have the A graders on the park to do so.

Port had a couple missing and lost a couple during the match, but i dare say the players we were missing, we missed moreso.

We do have depth that we haven't seen for quite sometime, but Port have real experienced depth.
And most of our depth is injured or out of form anyway! So what do ya do?

Its obviously not what we wanted or expected, but i also think this list, when fit, in form and confident can match it with any team in this competition.

Just another thought though...
Both captains seem a bit 'at sea' this season and last.
I know Doc was back from a long lay-off but his form early was great them he seemed to go within himself somewhat.
When Doc came back, i was wondering how Crippa welcomed sharing the Captaincy?

He was a giant as stand alone captain and maybe he doesn't like sharing it as much as he thought he would after all?
Maybe Doc feels he's treading on toes since he returned?
Probably nothing in it and just speculation but worth mentioning nonetheless i reckon.

For what its worth i believe in Teaguey and i believe in our players.
Ill back them 100% until the variables are not an issue and we still underperform.

Until then ill support and encourage.
Not denigrate and smear!

GO BAGGERS!
At least we haven't had a 5 goal against run on this year (media then changed the narrative to 5 goal swing not a continuous swing)

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I still can't get over the fact that people are talking in terms of the coach being on shaky ground. There are obviously issues with the team and the way that they are playing but to be talking about getting rid of a guy who has one complete (and very unusual) season behind him is madness.

I wasn't one of those aboard 'The Teague Train' when he was appointed but we went with a rookie and we now pay the price associated with that. I look at Richmond and what happened with Hardwick as coach, they stuck it out even when under immense pressure at the end of 2016 to sack him, pressure that was coming from their members, the media and from a group that failed in a bid to oust the board. What a mess Richmond appeared to be.

After 7 years under Hardwick they finished the 2016 season in 13th place going down to the Sydney Swans by 113 points in the last round of the year, finishing the year on 8 wins. At that point they had played finals in each of the previous 3 years only to lose in the first week each year and not advance any further.

Hardwick had coached the club to 71 wins , 78 losses, and 1 draw in 7 years at the helm.

Everyone is well aware of what has happened in the 4 years since.

What has this to do with Carlton? It took him 4 full years to have his team play finals, it took him 8 to land a premiership. In all that time the Richmond Board on BF was full of threads calling for the coaches ' sacking.

What's needed is a bit of rational discussion as to what can be done to help Teague to become a successful coach at Carlton, a change in assistants may help as it did at Richmond at the end of the 2016 season, an experienced type of assistant who can provide some mentoring in my opinion is a must. The responsibility lies with the club to provide Teague with the support and structure that will assist him in his job.

Any talk of replacing him is premature and isn't addressing the actual problems that exist.

I started this thread to give a bit of balance to the uproar after the last game as people have been demanding a new coach since we lost round 1 to the champs. I couldn't believe it. 1 game and burn the place to the ground.

So far there's a fair amount of actual discussion which is always healthy.

I've given the topic about as much attention as I care to for now, but I'm interested to see not Teague's response but rather the players. Leadership at our club has not been great since the early 2000s IMHO and I'm not sure a lot will change until the youth we have drafted these past 5 years stand up and take control of their careers and the club's on field performance, whatever position they play. Their attitudes and efforts are paramount to our on field success.

I can see how the coaches this season are demanding continued performance in the 2s before promoting players and currently i can see them currently dropping players for underperforming so that is something reassuring. Senior players are kept at the moment to provide some semblance of leadership and direction but I wonder if ultimately things will remain the same until these skilled young players say 'no, I'm not going to coast anymore, I'm going to give my all and take control because that's what I want and who I want to be" and they go out there and prove it.

If our board really do understand the challenges we are facing right now, whether or not a change of head coach at the end of the year is required is not the main issue. How they are going to support whoever the head coach is will be the determining factor. Here's hoping that the appropriate positive action is taken.

Go Blues.

I still can't get over the fact that people are talking in terms of the coach being on shaky ground. There are obviously issues with the team and the way that they are playing but to be talking about getting rid of a guy who has one complete (and very unusual) season behind him is madness.

I wasn't one of those aboard 'The Teague Train' when he was appointed but we went with a rookie and we now pay the price associated with that. I look at Richmond and what happened with Hardwick as coach, they stuck it out even when under immense pressure at the end of 2016 to sack him, pressure that was coming from their members, the media and from a group that failed in a bid to oust the board. What a mess Richmond appeared to be.

After 7 years under Hardwick they finished the 2016 season in 13th place going down to the Sydney Swans by 113 points in the last round of the year, finishing the year on 8 wins. At that point they had played finals in each of the previous 3 years only to lose in the first week each year and not advance any further.

Hardwick had coached the club to 71 wins , 78 losses, and 1 draw in 7 years at the helm.

Everyone is well aware of what has happened in the 4 years since.

What has this to do with Carlton? It took him 4 full years to have his team play finals, it took him 8 to land a premiership. In all that time the Richmond Board on BF was full of threads calling for the coaches ' sacking.

What's needed is a bit of rational discussion as to what can be done to help Teague to become a successful coach at Carlton, a change in assistants may help as it did at Richmond at the end of the 2016 season, an experienced type of assistant who can provide some mentoring in my opinion is a must. The responsibility lies with the club to provide Teague with the support and structure that will assist him in his job.

Any talk of replacing him is premature and isn't addressing the actual problems that exist.
Change the assistants. That's what I want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the 2-3 which is getting under people's skin....it's the fact we have been so underwhelming...the 2 wins were against undermanned young teams.

I'm also not here to bash Teague but I do get frustrated when he states that pressure and the want to compete are non negotiables and yet quire a few in the seniors get away with it week in week out...not sure what msg that sends to the guys in the 2's who are trying to break into the team.

anyone else suspicious of andrew russell? he has way too much profile for a PE bloke - and we have way too many injuries
just watched the injury report on website - no mention of kemp ............ mmmmmmmmmmmm ...............

anyone else suspicious of andrew russell? he has way too much profile for a PE bloke - and we have way too many injuries
just watched the injury report on website - no mention of kemp ............ mmmmmmmmmmmm ...............

No mention of Kemp because a week prior there was a major update which signalled he'd be going through a 5-6 week conditioning block.

From yesterday's Injury List update ...

Brodie KempFoot"We feel he needs that 5-6 week block of football conditioning to be available." Update: 13 April

My Frustration is not with Kids, it is seasoned Veterans who Pick and choose their commitment levels each week, instead of setting examples of the commitment required.

Of course the kids will copy the mentality.,, He's grown up just like me ... Setting examples is Non negotiable.

Levi will likely get 1 year deal as insurance.
Curnow I could see playing on for 1 more year.
Murphy and Betts should be gone by next year.

If Murphy + Betts still playing next year I'd be deeply concerned as it means the youngins aren't developed enough to push them out.
Casboult will give you something. I would not be rushing to get rid of him. Charlie Curnow has not played for 2 years, and if and when he is fit should only play in the Ressies for at least 4-6 matches to get his fitness back and show that his body is upto the rigors of AFL. SPS is playing for his AFL career, and seems to have gone backwards in 2021. He is not Robinson Crusoe there.

Casboult will give you something. I would not be rushing to get rid of him. Charlie Curnow has not played for 2 years, and if and when he is fit should only play in the Ressies for at least 4-6 matches to get his fitness back and show that his body is upto the rigors of AFL. SPS is playing for his AFL career, and seems to have gone backwards in 2021. He is not Robinson Crusoe there.
I'm not sure SPS is playing for his career. Would easily get picked up by Freo or WC and immediately played in either the middle or HFF, and immediately excel.
His Carlton career maybe, but think his AFL career is still going to be fine.

Casboult's knee is shot mate - he is playing on pure heart - because we literally have no other talls to call on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back