Preview Round 6, 2021: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Sunday 25th April, 6:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I dont think any of us truly think we are going to win but what we feel is going to happen....well thats a whole beautifully different ball game!
The reason's why we will win

The team has been ridiculed so badly they will be going attack the ball harder than they ever have.

Crouch and Hill will come out to show why they are Best and Fairest winners at the previous clubs.

Our game plan needs to at least halve the midfield and now having a ruckman back to assist and another contested ball winner in Jones will more than help.

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Also seems to get injured everytime he "apparently" gets close to a gig at the end of every year he's been with us. We don't need an injury prone key back. We've got enough of those...Frawley, Carlisle, Geary, Robbo, Webster.

Darcy Moore was pretty injury prone same as weitering. They seem to be ok now

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hes 21 and had injuries at wrong times. Keys are also known to take a while. McGovern was 23 when he made his debut, rance was 23 when he cemented his spot, some keys like Tom Stewart didn't even get drafted until 22.
I much perfer a young kid in the draft to develop and build his body up , some of the kids are not going to play in there first year and some need longer - some of these tall skinny kids need time and he showed over the last 3yrs he taken time to develop and by the looks it has paid dividends.
By the looks the kid is also a leader
THE similarities between Jacob Weitering and Oscar Clavarino are scary yet exciting.
That mightn’t come as a surprise to those close to Clavarino, who spent a few years under Weitering’s tutelage at the Dandenong Stingrays before the latter was taken by Carlton with Pick 1 in late 2015.
While Clavarino won’t be selected near the top of the draft order later this month, the AFL club that picks him up will be gaining this year’s top interceptor and, arguably, the most professional prospect of the draft class.
Like fellow Stingrays graduate Weitering, Clavarino is a mobile and reliable key defender and an outstanding intercept marker on the field. They’re both 195cm tall, too

https://pointsbet.com.au/sports/aus...ortsafl&utm_content=integrations&utm_term=AFL

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/match-centre/AFL20210608
Captains Joel Garner of Vic Metro, as well as James Worpel and Oscar Clavarino of Vic Country. Picture: Tony Gough

Captains Joel Garner of Vic Metro, as well as James Worpel and Oscar Clavarino of Vic Country. Picture: Tony GoughSource: News Corp Australia
In 2017, he was co-captain of both the Stingrays and Vic Country, while he was also part of the leadership group at Haileybury College.
But they were just three of dozens of leadership roles Clavarino has held in footy teams over the past decade.
“In juniors, I was always captain,” Clavarino tells foxfooty.com.au.
“I’ve always had leadership qualities that I like to fall back on.”

But, in any industry, not all leadership roles are easy.
Clavarino admits co-leading Vic Country — alongside Geelong Falcons midfielder James Worpel — at this year’s national carnival was one of his most challenging experiences. Despite the difficulties, he performed so well down back that he won All-Australian honours.
“I really gained a lot from that experience, having to cope with the difficulties of coming together as a big group with not much knowledge of each other and get up as a team in only a couple of weeks,” Clavarino says.
“To overcome that challenge with ‘Worps’, we came together as a pretty good team, I felt. We were able to pull out some pretty good footy, even though we didn’t get a few wins on the board which was probably the only let-down of the whole experience.”
So impressive is his leadership and charisma among his teammates that Stingrays talent manager Mark Wheeler admits Clavarino “basically forced us to choose him as captain”.
“His ability to control this group is amazing,” Wheeler tells foxfooty.com.au.
Oscar Clavarino is the top interceptor of this year’s draft class.

Was captain of the teams he played in and was selected in the All Australian team

If he turns out to be a good player it has been a masterstroke in developing this kid and taking time with him.
Having Howard and Clavarino as our keybacks for the next 5 or 7 yrs is just mind blowing knowing we have Max King and most probably his brother as well in a year or so.

Imagine this as a spine
Howard - 1.99m
Clavarino - 1.97m
Steele
B.King -2.02 m
M.King - 2.02 m

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I much perfer a young kid in the draft to develop and build his body up , some of the kids are not going to play in there first year and some need longer - some of these tall skinny kids need time and he showed over the last 3yrs he taken time to develop and by the looks it has paid dividends.
So impressive is his leadership and charisma among his teammates that Stingrays talent manager Mark Wheeler admits Clavarino “basically forced us to choose him as captain”.

Was captain of the teams he played in and was selected in the All Australian team

Leadership? Yes please! "His ability to control this group" - this guy is the second coming of Rasputin, no wonder he bewitched Simon Lethlean to keep him on the list when the campaigner was cutting players left right and centre. We need him on the field exerting his mind-control antics on umpires to give him frees and to get into the soggy heads of his teammates urging them past the pain barrier to secure win after win. Someone has to.

Just look at this photo, it's evidence of his incredible powers of persuasion. I was at this game, you'd think it's a photo of him punching the ball, but the truth is far more incredible:

2 seconds before this photo was taken, one of the opposition players had kicked the ball towards goal, then Clavarino who was 5 metres away starts HOVERING in midair with his right arm out and pulling his left fist towards his body as shown. Suddenly the ball stopped moving, changed direction 90° and started moving TOWARDS him as if his fist was a massive magnet. The most amazing thing I've ever seen on a footy field. Of course the umpire still deemed that it wasn't a mark and threw the ball up. Should have known right then that he'd end up at St Kilda.

1619189330185.png

Seriously, Clavarino has always interested me, because he was highly rated before his draft albeit as a rd 2 or 3 pick, because we traded for a pick to secure him and because while people talked of his potential, none of the most learned track watchers on this board rated him, yet he escaped all the Lethlean purges.

I guess I've always hoped he would come on, and so the news of him actually impressing at VFL level is excellent. I accept that the next part of his journey may be his hardest yet, maybe too hard, but we could really do with a tall down back to take over from Carlisle when the time comes. The captaincy/leadership element is another well-needed quality that the current day Saints sorely lack, so I am really hoping that he shows enough for us to persevere with him.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham FC, PHX Suns, MN Vikings
Sorry to stick my head in but...

When do you guys fly out?

Any news on J.Webster and P.Hunter playing?

Webster was said to be 50/50 by Ratten yday and given a chance later in the week

B.Lade didnt seem to rule out P.Hunter on SEN either

My mail is that Webster & Hunter are the 2 outs this week for Marshall & Jones

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Leadership? Yes please! "His ability to control this group" - this guy is the second coming of Rasputin, no wonder he bewitched Simon Lethlean to keep him on the list when the campaigner was cutting players left right and centre. We need him on the field exerting his mind-control antics on umpires to give him frees and to get into the soggy heads of his teammates urging them past the pain barrier to secure win after win. Someone has to.

Seriously, Clavarino has always interested me, because he was highly rated before his draft albeit as a rd 2 or 3 pick, because we traded for a pick to secure him and because while people talked of his potential, none of the most learned track watchers on this board rated him, yet he escaped all the Lethlean purges.

I guess I've always hoped he would come on, and so the news of him actually impressing at VFL level is excellent. I accept that the next part of his journey may be his hardest yet, maybe too hard, but we could really do with a tall down back to take over from Carlisle when the time comes. The captaincy/leadership element is another well-needed quality that the current day Saints sorely lack, so I am really hoping that he shows enough for us to persevere with him.

What I like most about this post is the idea of Rasputin convincing Satan to spare and develop him. Cool esoteric s*it going on there.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
THE similarities between Jacob Weitering and Oscar Clavarino are scary yet exciting.
That mightn’t come as a surprise to those close to Clavarino, who spent a few years under Weitering’s tutelage at the Dandenong Stingrays before the latter was taken by Carlton with Pick 1 in late 2015.
While Clavarino won’t be selected near the top of the draft order later this month, the AFL club that picks him up will be gaining this year’s top interceptor and, arguably, the most professional prospect of the draft class.
Like fellow Stingrays graduate Weitering, Clavarino is a mobile and reliable key defender and an outstanding intercept marker on the field. They’re both 195cm tall, too

https://pointsbet.com.au/sports/aus...ortsafl&utm_content=integrations&utm_term=AFL

Captains Joel Garner of Vic Metro, as well as James Worpel and Oscar Clavarino of Vic Country. Picture: Tony Gough

Captains Joel Garner of Vic Metro, as well as James Worpel and Oscar Clavarino of Vic Country. Picture: Tony GoughSource: News Corp Australia
In 2017, he was co-captain of both the Stingrays and Vic Country, while he was also part of the leadership group at Haileybury College.
But they were just three of dozens of leadership roles Clavarino has held in footy teams over the past decade.

Clavarino admits co-leading Vic Country — alongside Geelong Falcons midfielder James Worpel — at this year’s national carnival was one of his most challenging experiences. Despite the difficulties, he performed so well down back that he won All-Australian honours.
“I really gained a lot from that experience, having to cope with the difficulties of coming together as a big group with not much knowledge of each other and get up as a team in only a couple of weeks,” Clavarino says.
“To overcome that challenge with ‘Worps’, we came together as a pretty good team, I felt. We were able to pull out some pretty good footy, even though we didn’t get a few wins on the board which was probably the only let-down of the whole experience.”

If he turns out to be a good player it has been a masterstroke in developing this kid and taking time with him.
Having Howard and Clavarino as our keybacks for the next 5 or 7 yrs is just mind blowing knowing we have Max King and most probably his brother as well in a year or so.

Imagine this as a spine
Howard - 1.99m
Clavarino - 1.97m
Steele
B.King -2.02 m
M.King - 2.02 m

Awesome find mate. I noticed Clav guiding players last week and was impressed. It's the first and only match I've seen of him, but he looks a winner to me.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I was trolling Bulldogs supporters tonight about our finals win last year and it reminded me how good Geary was, we miss him as much as Paddy.

Geary playing a lockdown role on Shorty Daniel and then turning into a forward weapon for us played a big part in that win.

We were playing great footy back then, we need to get that Saints mojo back.

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

Imagine this as a spine
Howard - 1.99m
Clavarino - 1.97m
Steele
B.King -2.02 m
M.King - 2.02 m

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just a bit of a reality check required I reckon.

As much as last week was awful for the last 2.5 quarters, the fact remains that we were still missing as many as 8 of our best 22!

Ryder
Marshall
Gresham
Hannebery
Jones
Paton
Geary
Frawley (?)

That’s an awfully big chunk of our best team. Including a big chunk of our midfield, and 3 of our best “defensive defenders”- in a season where those who can defend one-on-one are so important.

Then we had Billings tear his plantar fascia in the warmup and play the whole game injured, then we lost an in-form Jimmy Webster after he’d played just 30% game time.

So we were still decimated by injury/unavailability.

This week we hopefully get back two of the aforementioned, but that still leaves us as many as 6 of our best 22 short (plus probably Webster, who is in our current best team), against a top team, in excellent form, on their home ground, who may only be missing 2 or 3 of their best 22.

So the likelihood of us winning is properly low.

So if we win it will be a phenomenal result, but it would also under the circumstances be a relatively good result if we were very highly competitive, but lose by anything under about 3-4 goals.

This week is probably more about righting the ship, before hopefully getting much closer to full strength in the coming weeks, and getting some w’s happening in more “winnable” games, when/if we do.

Last edited:
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I understand your frustration, but the point of my post has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. The point is that it is dumb to point to the Bulldogs and shout "why can't we have that!?", because the Dogs have received concession after concession on a silver platter, coupled with more than their fair share of good luck.

It's all well and good to talk tough, say we are never going to accept mediocrity, sack everyone and only hire the best of the best, but the fact remains that there is absolutely nothing we could do, or ever could have done, which would allow us to replicate the Dogs' list.

And just by the way, despite their list, they've done sweet fu** all for 5 years.
Could have started by picking Bontempelli Naughton and keeping Bruce

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was trolling Bulldogs supporters tonight about our finals win last year and it reminded me how good Geary was, we miss him as much as Paddy.

Geary playing a lockdown role on Shorty Daniel and then turning into a forward weapon for us played a big part in that win.

We were playing great footy back then, we need to get that Saints mojo back.

We just dominated them in the air so much that they've gone out to try and recreate the Ryder and Marshall magic themselves.

It's not surprise we have been struggling without either of them in the team. They were our big POD from the entire league. No one else had two dominant rucks who complimented each other so perfectly and could also cause havoc in the forward line.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just a bit of a reality check required I reckon.

As much as last week was awful for the last 2.5 quarters, the fact remains that we were still missing as many as 8 of our best 22!

Ryder
Marshall
Gresham
Hannebery
Jones
Paton
Geary
Frawley (?)

That’s an awfully big chunk of our best team. Including a big chunk of our midfield, and 3 of our best “defensive defenders”- in a season where those who can defend one-on-one are so important.

Then we had Billings tear his plantar fascia in the warmup and play the whole game injured, then we lost an in-form Jimmy Webster after he’d played just 30% game time.

So we were still decimated by injury/unavailability.

This week we hopefully get back two of the aforementioned, but that still leaves us as many as 6 of our best 22 short (plus probably Webster, who is in our current best team), against a top team, in excellent form, on their home ground, who may only be missing 2 or 3 of their best 22.

So the likelihood of us winning is properly low.

So if we win it will be a phenomenal result, but it would also under the circumstances be a relatively good result if we were very highly competitive, but lose by anything under about 3-4 goals.

This week is probably more about righting the ship, before hopefully getting much closer to full strength in the coming weeks, and getting some w’s happening in more “winnable” games, when/if we do.
If we can through these next few weeks and end up with the games ledger even, we will have positioned ourselves well for the 2nd half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back