Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:

Jake_09

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Edwards sounds ideal. However, if the club feels that Reeves is close to being ready to come in and support big boy then I’d be interested in Max Heath coming in as a developing ruckman.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Until I can see how a player moves, handles the ball and executes a disposal, these descriptions are close to useless.
I don't understand how some people get so invested in players off these profiles before watching any clips.
Is it any different than people judging players off a few clips leading into the draft? People like hanging their hat on to hope.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Won't.
Same way they fu**ed up selecting Campbell & making Swans pay - instead selecting yet another short, inside midfielder in Phillips
I'm sure there's plenty of back deals done between clubs to minimise bids on academy selections.

That or Norf's recruiting department are just shite.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Edwards sounds ideal. However, if the club feels that Reeves is close to being ready to come in and support big boy then I’d be interested in Max Heath coming in as a developing ruckman.
Agree ... What seems to have gone un-noticed is that we will loose BB and Ceg's (Both 30's) in reasonably quick succession. That leaves Reeves as the sole successor. Noting ruckman take time to build a body and develop the time is now to get a promising type in to start the development, perhaps even a second speculative kid with a junk pick down the track.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do we really need another young ruck ? Reeves is the future, pick up another experienced ruck once McEvoy and ceglar retire. Rather not waste a list spot on a project ruck given we have one in the works that looks pretty good. Reeves and 2 other experienced rucks is the way to go.

Last edited:

Adrian Dodoro

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need a young ruck but Edwards should be gone by our pick, Riley Bowman on the other hand, Box Hill listed, projected top 30 pick in the year he wasn't picked up always had 0 clue why - played incredibly in that premiership stingrays side in TAC

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do we really need another young ruck ? Reeves is the future, pick up another experienced ruck once McEvoy and ceglar retire. Rather not waste a list spot on a project ruck given we have one in the works that looks pretty good. Reeves and 2 other experienced rucks is the way to go.
I think it would be good to get one on our list now- BB and Cegs have until the end of 2022 and I think we'll be running a two ruck system for a long while so Reeves will need some support in that role. Someone like Edwards would be perfect because he can also play KPP too so he can develop that side of his game in 2022 at BHH so that when the 2023 season comes round and (hopefully) Reeves takes the #1 mantle he will have enough ability to come in as the second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s not a midfielder or a key forward with our first round pick I would be very surprised.

If we can walk away from this draft with two midfielders, one key forward and also one small forward that would be a really good draft haul.

NAB AFL Academy has a strong strike rate. Only one player from the 2019 side missed selection on Draft night.

7F111819-41BB-4349-BECC-17119DDA74DF.jpeg

1 Blayne O'Loughlin (SA) North Adelaide
2 Austin Harris (Qld) Suns
3 Cooper Murley (SA) Norwood
4 Josh Rachele (Vic C) Murray Bushrangers
5 Tyler Sonsie (Vic M) Eastern Ranges
6 Nick Daicos (Vic M) Oakleigh Chargers
7 Cooper Hamilton (Vic C) Bendigo Pioneers
8 Ben Hobbs (Vic C) GWV Rebels
9 Jason Horne (SA) South Adelaide
10 Matt Roberts (SA) South Adelaide
11 Jase Burgoyne (SA) Woodville West Torrens FC
12 Sam Banks (Tas) Clarence
14 Campbell Chesser (Vic C) Sandringham Dragons
15 Josh Sinn (Vic M) Sandringham Dragons
16 Josh Fahey (NSW/ACT) Giants
17 Nasiah Wanganeen (SA) Glenelg
18 Braden Andrews (Vic M) Oakleigh Chargers
19 Neil Erasmus (WA) Subiaco
20 Finn Callaghan (Vic M) Sandringham Dragons
21 Blake Howes (Vic M) Sandringham Dragons
22 Matthew Johnson (WA) Subiaco
23 Jacob Van Rooyen (WA) Claremont
24 Rhett Bazzo (WA) Swan Districts
26 Ned Stevens (NT) Waratah / GC Suns
27 Jack Williams (WA) East Fremantle
28 Mac Andrew (Vic C) Dandenong Stingrays
29 Toby Conway (Vic C) Geelong Falcons
30 Ned Moyle (Vic M) Oakleigh Chargers
31 Fraser Marris (Vic C) GWV Rebels
35 Josh Gibcus (Vic C) GWV Rebels

Glebehawk

All Australian
Aug 24, 2006
london
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree ... What seems to have gone un-noticed is that we will loose BB and Ceg's (Both 30's) in reasonably quick succession. That leaves Reeves as the sole successor. Noting ruckman take time to build a body and develop the time is now to get a promising type in to start the development, perhaps even a second speculative kid with a junk pick down the track.
We trade for one, as we’ve always done.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I take your point, but in reality being able to go the market and pick up a decent ruckman who is ready to go is easier said than done. I can only think of two being Paul Salmon and Mick Byrne (back in the 80s) that were worthwhile pickups. We already have Brooksby, who has no upside, clogging up the list so we loose nothing by taking on a young guy who could develop into something good. I'm also mindful that if Reeves sustains a long term injury I'd hate to be left with a mediocre ruck division to see us through what should be an exciting time.

Most of these Academy boys are just having their tackles walked through by the Geelong VFL guys. It's a bit rough.

Gibcus the standout tall defender so far.

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kicking inaccuracies are killing the AFLA team

Erasmus doing some nice things, good overhead. Plays like Morrison

Moyle taking some big marks

Sonsie quiet, and mostly outside, but when he gets in close is very smooth

Fahey bites off too much on his kicking but is a nice kick

Narkle looks like Dusty at this level, BOG so far

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glebehawk

All Australian
Aug 24, 2006
london
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Half time - my first look at these guys.
So far impressed by Daicos, Horne - they’re clearly top 2 material.

Fahey from half back, got a nice long boot and Erasmus half forward, lively and a good grab.

Rachele started getting physical when moved to the middle.

Sonsie barely involved, looks a little fragile against mature bodies.

Gibcus stood out down back a few times, has a huge leap on him. Kicking looks a slight liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back