2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Third quarter:

Sharp with a good goal, but more of the same when trying to get it forward. Not taking first option and trying to create something that isn't there. Again, seems close to getting there though.

Zac Smith still playing. Covering the ground really well. You'd expect Smith to dominate his opponent today and he has, getting clear hit outs to advantage to his mids.

Rosas with another highlight. This kid is gonna be good. He's playing at AFL speed but his teammates that aren't listed can't keep up to that pace. Probably not far from a debut.

Murdoch is just going through the motions. Not a great sight honestly. He should be ripping it apart with his athletic attributes at this level.

Fiorini's transition on defence is just awful. Even at this level guys are just breezing past him and his opponent running off him. Good with ball in hand but when he's exposed on transition back he's badly exposed.

Fell apart in the second half of the fourth quarter. Mids let us down badly. No-one in there was able to stand up and arrest the momentum. Disappointing.

It was Harbs who stood up in the back half and provided some spark and contested plays to get us back into it. That's why he's there. Good to see.

Good to see us get a win. That Bella snaffled a few big marks.
I think Bella will end up being at least a Cat B rookie pick for us this year. To have that kind of size at 17 when you're 195cm is a gift. It could be that Bella and Murtagh end up fighting it out for our full forward position for the next 10 years given both have been blessed with massive frames. They can both chop out in the ruck too.

Townsend will really add value to our forward lines in the reserves. We have some senior players down back and through the midfield, but a senior guy with so much AFL experience in the forward line will help the development of those guys a heap.

Should be back in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Overall I thought the general quality of that game was like the NEAFL we saw a couple of years ago. Not like two VFL sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many hitouts for Zac Smith today? He seemed to go okay today and ran out the game. Probably enough to warrant selection for the Collingwood game next week. Rosas definitely a chance to be selected next week as well. Sharp was good also.

How many hitouts for Zac Smith today? He seemed to go okay today and ran out the game. Probably enough to warrant selection for the Collingwood game next week. Rosas definitely a chance to be selected next week as well. Sharp was good also.
31 hitouts, but it was his around the ground work that was good too. Played as an extra down back on occasion, got his hands dirty, got involved in the play in general. You sort of forget what he offers as a ruckman compared to someone like Witts.

Obviously very different players and Smith will need to shoulder a big big load, but if he can stay fit he'll be serviceable for us this year.

31 hitouts, but it was his around the ground work that was good too. Played as an extra down back on occasion, got his hands dirty, got involved in the play in general. You sort of forget what he offers as a ruckman compared to someone like Witts.

Obviously very different players and Smith will need to shoulder a big big load, but if he can stay fit he'll be serviceable for us this year.
You're right, different kind of ruckman. I noticed him getting involved around the ground with pick ups, handballs, even a nice mark and goal in the forward 50! I remember the old Zac Smith between 2011-15 couldn't kick a goal to save his life so I was very pleased to see his kick go through the big sticks today.

Dewy just said to the guys on Fox Footy that Zac Smith looked rusty in the reserves game today. Bit harsh I would have thought.

Dewy just said to the guys on Fox Footy that Zac Smith looked rusty in the reserves game today. Bit harsh I would have thought.
Thought he did quite well but swans ruck looked terrible. Good to see him get through unscathed and will be better for the run

You're right, different kind of ruckman. I noticed him getting involved around the ground with pick ups, handballs, even a nice mark and goal in the forward 50! I remember the old Zac Smith between 2011-15 couldn't kick a goal to save his life so I was very pleased to see his kick go through the big sticks today.
Bit harsh on young Zac.
Kicked 27 goals 16 behinds from his first 44 games. (2011-2013)

Tailed off a bit in 2014+2015
but still, those first 3 years are actually very good for a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back