News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Not many like to admit it but Punt road oval is not actually in Richmond.

Depends

We were founded at the Royal, and yes that's technically across the road in another suburb.

We were based at punt road however, and punt road is still in the same suburb as the mcg

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Depends

We were founded at the Royal, and yes that's technically across the road in another suburb.

We were based at punt road however, and punt road is still in the same suburb as the mcg
Why don’t we just bulldoze the Royal and build a stadium there

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Lovely letter in The Age today, hopefully OK to reproduce here.
Let's hope the developers don't get their hands on yet another Melbourne landmark.

More than 100 years of precious footy memories
Well done the National Trust for highlighting the significance of the Jack Dyer Stand in the face of its demolition by Richmond Football Club as part of Punt Road Oval’s re-development (Sport, 21/4). The stand is over 100years old and has witnessed much of football history, as well as being the former home of the Richmond Cricket Club. Spectators have watched their heroes play from here. Memories of premierships are well and truly etched in its fabric.

Given that the club is currently well-funded, wouldn’t it be fitting to celebrate the Tigers’ heritage by restoring the stand to its former glory, as well as providing new or upgraded facilities for training, the AFLW, Bachar Houli Foundation and other excellent initiatives? To say that the re-development is crucial to the club staying at Punt Road Oval is a rather narrow and self-serving argument. I watched the club’s re-development announcement, where President Peggy O’Neal spoke of “tradition” and “community”. Where was she standing? In front of the Jack Dyer Stand.

Lovely letter in The Age today, hopefully OK to reproduce here.
Let's hope the developers don't get their hands on yet another Melbourne landmark.

More than 100 years of precious footy memories
Well done the National Trust for highlighting the significance of the Jack Dyer Stand in the face of its demolition by Richmond Football Club as part of Punt Road Oval’s re-development (Sport, 21/4). The stand is over 100years old and has witnessed much of football history, as well as being the former home of the Richmond Cricket Club. Spectators have watched their heroes play from here. Memories of premierships are well and truly etched in its fabric.

Given that the club is currently well-funded, wouldn’t it be fitting to celebrate the Tigers’ heritage by restoring the stand to its former glory, as well as providing new or upgraded facilities for training, the AFLW, Bachar Houli Foundation and other excellent initiatives? To say that the re-development is crucial to the club staying at Punt Road Oval is a rather narrow and self-serving argument. I watched the club’s re-development announcement, where President Peggy O’Neal spoke of “tradition” and “community”. Where was she standing? In front of the Jack Dyer Stand.

you do realize their solution will see the club leave PRO forever?

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
you do realize their solution will see the club leave PRO forever?
That's just wrong. There will always be a base there regardless.
Wanting a ground with MCG dimensions is not a good enough reason to destroy part of Melbourne's history.
The car park can be used for more building space and the club can buy some land nearby to turn into a car park.

Wanting a ground with MCG dimensions is not a good enough reason to destroy part of Melbourne's history.
The car park can be used for more building space and the club can buy some land nearby to turn into a car park.

what ground? there is no nearby ground for sale

And the redevelopment IS using the carpark space (that is under our lease)

this is up there with the other pipedreams of putting punt road in a tunnel or getting the MCC to grant us a part of Yarra Park

We need housing for the AFL, AFLW, and VFL teams. We need multiple change rooms. and BHF and KGI are both continuing to expand. The current building is overcrowded, and we already have staff working in portables - at a time when we have downsized due to covid.

If JDS stays, we will need to move.

How much money do you think the club has if you think they can just buy up some land walking distance from Punt road for a private car park?

You are disregarding the reasons behind the upgrades and turning it into an argument about the size of the ground witch is just one part of facilities upgrade and not the sole reason the stand needs to go

Ned_Flanders has shown from his posts that he is across the project and knows what he is taking about

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
what ground? there is no nearby ground for sale

And the redevelopment IS using the carpark space (that is under our lease)

this is up there with the other pipedreams of putting punt road in a tunnel or getting the MCC to grant us a part of Yarra Park

We need housing for the AFL, AFLW, and VFL teams. We need multiple change rooms. and BHF and KGI are both continuing to expand. The current building is overcrowded, and we already have staff working in portables - at a time when we have downsized due to covid.

If JDS stays, we will need to move.
Saying we need to demolish the JDS or move is just an ambit claim.
It's not just Richmond's history it's Melbourne's history.
Millions of people in Melbourne are familiar with the stand as it is in a prominent position.
If removed , Punt Rd oval would look crap and homogeneous .

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
How much money do you think the club has if you think they can just buy up some land walking distance from Punt road for a private car park?

You are disregarding the reasons behind the upgrades and turning it into an argument about the size of the ground witch is just one part of facilities upgrade and not the sole reason the stand needs to go

Ned_Flanders has shown from his posts that he is across the project and knows what he is taking about
A new car park would be a good investment that would only go up in value.

Millions of people in Melbourne are familiar with the stand as it is in a prominent position.

its not an ambit claim. Ive heard from Peggy, Gale, and even Balme on this over many years now. We simply dont have the room at the current location for the number of staff and teams we now have.

The best option for your solution is we relocate to the outer burbs (possibly Beaconsfield or somewhere along the Princes Hwy out towards Pakenham), and the Dees take over the ground (as they already split their operation between Swan Street and Casey)

which is why you wont get it.

any land coming up for sale in Richmond either has zoning restrictions on it (so no car park possible), or you're facing competition from developers who will pay much more for the land

Of course it would
But good luck finding land for sale in that area that fits the size, distance and zoning overlays

Don’t know if you have been to Richmond or Clifton Hill lately but it isn’t exactly a buyers market

BTW anyone who thinks an inner city relocation is easy and possible needs to look at the Dees.

Last I heard they were still searching. Their KPI was the location had to be within a short distance of the MCG. Options were NE corner of Yarra Park (already rejected), Fawkner Park (i believe its been rejected, but not 100% sure), and Melbourne Uni (off mem the Dees rejected because its too far from the MCG)

BTW anyone who thinks an inner city relocation is easy and possible needs to look at the Dees.

Last I heard they were still searching. Their KPI was the location had to be within a short distance of the MCG. Options were NE corner of Yarra Park (already rejected), Fawkner Park (i believe its been rejected, but not 100% sure), and Melbourne Uni (off mem the Dees rejected because its too far from the MCG)

They had that other option under the Bolte bridge in Docklands too. I'm not sure what happened there but no one in their right mind would want to call that suburb home and I'm speaking from 10+ years experience working there.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Ffs they tore down the MCG members stand, the long room and no ptotests, I would suggest that they had heritage considerations etc, and were still quite serviceable instead of our asbestos ridden possum house

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Ffs they tore down the MCG members stand, the long room and no ptotests, I would suggest that they had heritage considerations etc, and were still quite serviceable instead of our asbestos ridden possum house
Yes and look at the MCG now. Just another big stadium without character.

They had that other option under the Bolte bridge in Docklands too. I'm not sure what happened there but no one in their right mind would want to call that suburb home and I'm speaking from 10+ years experience working there.

I go past that area every day, and that would be the worst place to base.

Not much room at all, and sucking in exhaust and cement dust

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yes and look at the MCG now. Just another big stadium without character.
Irrelevant comment , there was no gnashing of teeth when they tore it down. And I would suggest it had more heritage worthiness

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
What's your favourite part of the G? The new media center or the Southern Stand?
The 100,000 comfortable seats.
Architecturally, the view looking up the Yarra from Southbank is stunning
0E11EB70-C647-4242-A0DB-C503FC6EBD6A.jpeg

Back