Review Bulldogs scrap a 39 point win over GWS - Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar's introduction into the team has been a revelation. I thought we were getting a very good player at a discount. Instead ... we got a dead set stud for peanuts. Adam Treloar is a far better player than I gave him credit for. And seems like a very good, very popular teammate. So likeable and can football like few others. Kudos Adam.

Don't understand the "forgettable game/win/hard to watch" comments, I watched on TV, found the game enthralling. GWS has got a good batch of youngsters happening, they will beat most sides in Canberra, they will be tilting at the top 4 again in a season or two, they are building. We persisted, we withstood the pressure, we coped with 3 injuries and we ended up running away with the game like it was a cakewalk. 39 points is a damn good win interstate anytime.

Don't understand the "forgettable game/win/hard to watch" comments, I watched on TV, found the game enthralling. GWS has got a good batch of youngsters happening, they will beat most sides in Canberra, they will be tilting at the top 4 again in a season or two, they are building. We persisted, we withstood the pressure, we coped with 3 injuries and we ended up running away with the game like it was a cakewalk. 39 points is a damn good win interstate anytime.
Yes, higher expectations this year, so thought we would have done better in the first 3 quarters against a weakened opponent but great result in the end, esp with the injuries

Yes, higher expectations this year, so thought we would have done better in the first 3 quarters against a weakened opponent but great result in the end, esp with the injuries

Fair enough, but we also won kicking more than 100 points, again. This in an era when many sides struggle to kick 10 goals in a game.

Treloar's introduction into the team has been a revelation. I thought we were getting a very good player at a discount. Instead ... we got a dead set stud for peanuts. Adam Treloar is a far better player than I gave him credit for. And seems like a very good, very popular teammate. So likeable and can football like few others. Kudos Adam.

It’s a shame he is such an awful kick though 🤦🏼‍♂️

That the worst key forward trio in the league?

It'd go close with the way they play. They might be a chance with fast ball movement and them having space to suit their strengths. GWS play that slow and their forwards (other than Greene) are pretty useless in contests, I don't know how they expect it to work. Hogan will be a welcome inclusion.

North's are the worst. They're even giving BTC a go.

I always love listening to the after match presser from Bevo and Crunch time the next day, which I'm sure everyone else here does as well.

Just a couple of observations:

Bevo's presser went for 20 mins last night, so much longer than most- usually 9 to 12 mins. There was a reporter (not bolton) actually asking tactical questions, and bevo seemed to enjoy talking to the guy and gave out some really interesting game plan insights. Bolton then chipped in with a standard question, and bevo then looked like he glazed over.

On crunch time, Craig Jennings was saying that of all coaches, bevo would be the one that really enjoys the challenge of injuries, cos it allows him to tinker and see if he can make the team even better. Clearly he gets it wrong sometimes, and he gets taken to task for it on here, but it is a good observation. Jennings clearly loves bevo as well.

Nick Dal Santo also said that there was A LOT of off the ball niggle by GWS that was not shown on the broadcast, and that the dogs handled it very well.

Finally, loved Woods knee into grub greenes back in the first. Lined him up and drove square into his lower back. We don't see enough of that from our boys.
I wasn't watching super closely but it did look like GWS were playing a really negative game leaving our players to get first possession then trying to stop us disposing it.
A lot of the time our players had arms being held even before they'd taken possession.
I thought the game was really poorly officiated in that regard.

It's actually not a bad tactic against us. I think Carlton played a very similar game against us last year and won comfortably.

Beveridge deserves massive credit for replacing JJ in the back 6 with Dale. Absolute masterstroke.

Dale had a super important 1 on 1 with Greene in the goalsquare and handled it no problem. Doesn’t get any more challenging than that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is JJ close to being superfluous for us?

Good to see a live game at last (and to catch up with a few of the far flung BF crew :beercheers:).

• Hunter did some very nice things. He gets a bad rap here.

However the 9 goal final term showed the hallmarks of a side that will challenge deep into September. The Bulldogs of 2017-2020 would have lost tonight.
Yes he's played very well in recent weeks, almost immediately after I suggested he should go back to the VFL and finished my OH&S compliant bandwagon. Should get something for it in a fire sale but I've done my ar$e on the Mahogany side panels inlaid with "Hunter to the VFL" in Tassie Oak.

I may have been not correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the last time he was played behind the ball and given the space he needs?
He shouldn't have lost that speed at his age (27). It may be due to his changed role as you say or perhaps he has lost confidence and become more cautious?

Let's see how his game progresses over a few weeks. He can still be a line breaker while doing the team things.

Very worried that our performances are over inflated. We haven't played a top 8 side yet.

Not long to wait - 6 more sleeps. Unfortunately with Dunks & English out & team upheaval this may not be a reflection of where we are at either. Then again, that may be a good thing - won't have to show the full hand. Plus I'm going to the game - bad omen!

On the other hand, teams are struggling to make the 8 because of us outright demolishing them. Glass half full ;)
Very unDoggy attitude there VD. You may need to be referred to the Droop Street Reform School for Optimistic Supporters.

Last edited:
Jackson's ability to shrug off physical punishment is second to none. He's been tagged before and it doesn't slow him down much if any. If he was vulnerable to physicality or tagging he'd have been found out years ago.

As one of the hardest Clay Smith said after the 2016 prelim - “ he goes alright the old jacko”

Jackson is as hard as a cats head - ridiculous comment from Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back