Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong, Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly awful.

Beaten all over the ground.

This team currently breaks so completely against any modicum of sustained pressure.

Just 2 of the last 22 goals in that match.

Gave up 10 minutes before quarter time.

May as well have just forfeited and stayed in Perth.

Both tactically and emotionally, it appeared like the club was there rather than at Kardinia Park today.

Think this match has moved me from the Bargaining to Depression phase of the Kubler-Ross stages of grief.

Agree. I foolishly had my hopes up at quarter time, but to be realistic, this loss was so typical of our trips to Geelong. Try hard at start, get blown away in one bad quarter, dip our heads and then get buried.

The key here is not to throw the baby out with the bath water. The team needs a win next week, then to move on.

Injuries may derail our season, but the fortunate thing is that our draw opens up now. Need to scrape the wins while we wait for soldiers to return.
Yeah the way we’ve lost is a big yikes but we’re still 3-3 which most would have taken at the start of the year, especially given who we’ve lost along the way. Really need to pull together till the bye though and try to stay in touch.

Not sure if we can recover from the injuries, we’ll be doing well to have an even record by the bye.. which makes the first 2 losses even worse. 5-1 now with 6 games till the bye I’d have been happy with a 3-3 taking 8-4 into the bye with players returning. F*ck sake.

Sheed was a moron but that is never called play on, and when players are caught off guard by a surprise play on call the umpire usually calls a ball up when tackled.
It wasn't the only one either.

How, when the soft call was a point, can the half time 'goal' be overturned?

Deliberate in a marking contest (irrelevant whether a player is actually contesting, you can spoil)

Langdon htb, when held up against the latitude Geelong got.

Darling held in the goalsquare, his jumper was stretched back.

Umps had a 'mare (as did we). Basically Geelong got everything going well that they possibly could (even their goal accuracy, which they won't repeat all year).

Our effort (or lack thereof) was the reason we were never a winning chance, but in a similar vein to me not expecting us to play that poorly again - Geelong will never have a game as easy as that again.

We were terrible though. Not sure where the improvement comes from tbh, unless effort is enough?

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Decimated by injury decimated around the ball our game plan is slow cannot enter the f50 to provide our quality fwds. The quality of players coming through to replace our ageing injured players are non existent , we have no depth speed and sold the farm for Kelly who is massively over rated ..unfortunately at this stage there is no hope with this team need to rebuild ..starts at the top

It wasn't the only one either.

How, when the soft call was a point, can the half time 'goal' be overturned?

Deliberate in a marking contest (irrelevant whether a player is actually contesting, you can spoil)

Langdon htb, when held up against the latitude Geelong got.

Darling held in the goalsquare, his jumper was stretched back.

Umps had a 'mare (as did we). Basically Geelong got everything going well that they possibly could (even their goal accuracy, which they won't repeat all year).

Our effort (or lack thereof) was the reason we were never a winning chance, but in a similar vein to me not expecting us to play that poorly again - Geelong will never have a game as easy as that again.

We were terrible though. Not sure where the improvement comes from tbh, unless effort is enough?

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was garbage but made no difference. I'd rather cop that umpiring in a game we were never going to win than in a close one

I will apply drunk texting rules to posting here, and not vent my frustration and disappointment.
we will need to see a dramatic increase in application and effort next week or is it going to be a very disappointing month of football.
We can write off one horrific loss in a season, but need to see a response
We will be stars next week, no doubt about it. For 3/4 at least. Then ease off for the following weeks probably loss.

Negatives -

- Too slow.
- Poor effort. We cannot win if we play like this every second week.
- Gaff being too inconsistent. One day he's a god, the other is vomit worthy.
- Gov injured.
- Nic Nat down for the rest of the game.
- Jones and Langdon poor and didn't look AFL standard.

Positives +

+ Allen good as usual.
+ Darling tried.
+ Barrass solid.

Final thoughts?

Since I don't have Foxtel and have to watch the delayed free to air TV, I stopped watching after the Cats kicked five in a row so I didn't watch the whole game. Anyone who thought we were going to win against the Cats in Kardinya are absolutely delusional, even the most optimistic posters and fans know that we're going to get smashed and end up being 3-3 which isn't the worst result as some premiership teams were 3-3 and still won the flag. With Gov injured, it looks like H.Edwards has to come in. Our depth is poor, the only mid I can see being a gun is Brander. The umps in Geelong never miss a free kick when it's for them and even give some howlers.

We have to be at least 5-1 over the next six rounds if we're going to have a chance at contending so our gun players can comeback. Anything worse then we'll end up being outside top 4 and we all know we cannot win flags from outside top 2 or even top 4 as the travel fatigue would be too much for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, whatever. This is one of the times , critical obviously, but when you stick with the team. The boys will be hurting ( at least the ones who are club men ) Be interesting to see who stands up.

The midfield is the serious, serious issue. Its so pedestrian and second rate with Shuey and Yeo out. Appreciate they are big outs, but the fact we just have nothing to replace them with is a direct result of our drafting of mids over the past few years, and I hope the club doesnt look past that. Just continually turn a blind eye to a problem that has been there for close to 10 years.

I completely and utterly understand that Nic Nat is never going to be an huge endurance machine and will never be able to play 100% of game time.

That said, is his fitness that bad that he required a 7 minute break 4 minutes into the second quarter after just having had a rest at quarter time? 🤔

Begs a few questions

Last edited:
I completely and utterly understand that Nic Nat is never going to be an huge endurance machine and will never be anle to play 100% of game time.

That said, is his fitness that bad that he required a 7 minute break 4 minutes into the second quarter after just having had a rest at quarter time? 🤔

Begs a few questions
He didn't look quite right today, he just wasn't leaping like usual and kind of lumbered around the ground. Maybe he's carrying an injury?

positives:

Surely it's starting to become apparent that for whatever reason, this team is not up to it. Physically and mentally soft. That is a coaching problem. Surely the board are starting to see Simmo is flogging a dead horse?

Gov - every time he gets beaten he gives the umpire this "smile of disbelief" as if to say, "really, you didn't see me getting infringed". This is the actions of an entitled prima-donna who thinks he doesn't have to work hard. And he's the captain. Indicative of the metal state of the team at the moment.

Negatives:

How long does this rot carry on for before someone who is able to influence change, does so?

Last edited:
I completely and utterly understand that Nic Nat is never going to be an huge endurance machine and will never be able to play 100% of game time.

Begs a few questions
We need to change his game style. He is expending his energy tackling and grabbing ground ball.

Tell him to stop doing that and only be there for ruck taps and no follow ups. Far more useful

Decimated by injury decimated around the ball our game plan is slow cannot enter the f50 to provide our quality fwds. The quality of players coming through to replace our ageing injured players are non existent , we have no depth speed and sold the farm for Kelly who is massively over rated ..unfortunately at this stage there is no hope with this team need to rebuild ..starts at the top
Could you imagine how bad we would be without Kelly in the team at the moment? A bunch of kids wouldn't be making any difference

He didn't look quite right today, he just wasn't leaping like usual and kind of lumbered around the ground. Maybe he's carrying an injury?

Agreed, I think Gaff is carrying an injury as well, maybe something in his back. Was a weird one late where he didn't bend down to pick up the ball and he had plenty of time.

His kicking even around the corner seems dulled and I know he's never been quick, but currently, he looks like he's running in quicksand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back