Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong, Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you imagine how bad we would be without Kelly in the team at the moment? A bunch of kids wouldn't be making any difference

No but that's the problem the quality of our kids are garbage ..also our mid range age group are just that mid range average players

Sold the farm for Kelly......who was a jet at geelong...atm he is just a good player nothing special. Tag him and he is crap

Seriously looking at one of the worst trades in our history team is going backwards due to that trade

No but that's the problem the quality of our kids are garbage ..also our mid range age group are just that mid range average players

Sold the farm for Kelly......who was a jet at geelong...atm he is just a good player nothing special. Tag him and he is crap

Seriously looking at one of the worst trades in our history team is going backwards due to that trade
It’s not the kids letting us down

I liked Branders game. I thought he starting to show he belongs. He straight-lined the ball a couple of times knocking it out of the Cats players hands in contests.

For a senior mid Gaff was no where near what should be expected of him. His tackle effort which followed running around the back of someone asking for the handball on his right side and then hot potato handballing when he realised he doesnt have a right foot I thought sets a bad example from a leader.

Positives

- Game was 4am UK time so I missed it.
- Had a highlights package lined up, but accidentally spied the score beforehand, so didn't end up having to sit through this crap.

Negatives

- I'll probably give in and torture myself with aforementioned highlights package.
- Pretty strong evidence now that we are just making making up the numbers. Forget the brilliant game against the Dogs (which is the best game I've seen this year) and domination against Port. Flag teams don't get beat like this. We'll probably make finals, but VERY unlikely to do any sort of damage in there.

The future

- If it ain't happening this year, and that is looking increasingly likely, there is no point limping on for another crack next year. We got a flag out of this group and that is amazing. I know everyone believes this group should have got 2, but consider the Pies 10-12, Swans 12-16, Us 05-07, Bombers 99-02 and you can put into perspective that just getting one is an amazing achievement which shouldn't be downgraded. A second flag is looking a forlorn hope so we are better off making some tough list calls this year, bottom out and cop our 2-3 years penance for a sustained finals run, and then look to bounce back in the middle part of this decade with the likes of Allen, Brander, Waterman, Barrass, Witherden, Duggan and Rotham flying in their prime, with 2-3 of Sheed, Yeo, Kelly, Darling and Gaff still running around in their twilight (The equivalent of Hurn and JK 2021), and hopefully a host of good draft picks. Maybe a couple of Langdon, Jones, O'Neill, Ainsworth etc will turn into really solid Rowan Jones style role players.

The bright side

- It can't get any worse this season and given the huge run of star players we now have out, it's not completely unfeasible that we turn this around. When it was just Yeo and Shuey, there were no excuses. But now we've got Hurn, Ryan, JK and McGovern that is a huge chunk of quality of the sidelines. Bringing them back in, should have a big impact on our performance.

The immediate future

- Whilst our 2021 prospects are looking pretty dim, we've stocked up the list to have a crack, so we have to just keep pushing. You never know what can happen, especially when we got those six guys back in the group. I'm pretty sceptical about Yeo playing this year, but the other five should all be good to go in the back half of the year. But then who knows what other injury problems will befall us before then. But just keep pushing. As I said, we should make finals. Unlikely to do much damage, but you never know you're luck. The Dogs 16 and Crows 97/98 show that it's not out of the question.

The real positives

- Forecast is for nearly 20 degrees in the UK today (yeah, yeah, I can hear the mockery from here it's OK. Just don't be surprised when I mock you for complaining about the cold in winter when it's 15 degrees) and the pubs are re-opened so I'm going to start get ******* blazed in about 4 hours time.

Last edited:
This was the worst performance by a Eagles side in a long long time. That was not good enough. This team is so weak and soft mentally atm. Clearly their minds were on the lockdown, this team just switches off instantly.
This:
"...This team is so weak and soft mentally atm"

I said similar last year. We're just not that team that fights back (or puts teams away). Puzzling. The talent is there, but the effort?? Desire?? Mentality? Pride? Competitiveness? Nah.
And I love Simpson, but still stand by my opinion that we will not win another premiership under him. Most importantly, because we do not have the team to do so. Not until we have almost all of Hurn, Ryan, Rioli, Shuey, Yeo, Kennedy, McGovern on the park, fit, switched on, and firing. The yawning chasm between our Elite and fillers being magnified now, with all the injuries to the former.

People talking about top 4 strategy are dreaming. Top 8 currently looking like a stretch. Freo's improving and energetic young kids will come out confident next week - we are ripe for the taking.

Apologies to Langdon's sponsor(s), but the guy offers almost nothing atm. Maybe a stint in the WAFL?

Glad I switched off and had a nap just before half time.

It's with the benefit of hindsight we can observe things.

Even with the injured players out, the team has Ben on the decline for 2.5 years.

The gameplan is rubbish. The players aren't up to it.

The Kelly trade has stunted our midfield rebuild by 2 years.

Tough times ahead in turning this list over.
Exactly. 2019 and 2020 were quite poor too, when you look at the list we have. And no excuses for 2020 - hubs were tough/new for all. (Except Lions, Suns)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t remember the last time I turned off an eagles game halfway through, but we were that bad I couldn’t watch it. Even whilst in lockdown where there is nothing else to do...

+ Another game into O’Neill.

+ Oscar Allen is a superstar.

+ Home game next week where I’m sure we will remember how to football...

- I love Andrew Gaff but he is not an inside mid, leave him on the wing where he can play to his strengths.

- Selling the farm for Kelly is going to come back to hurt us in the future.

- The backline constantly spoiling each other or getting in the way of each other.

- No one in the WAFL beating the door down, Zane Trew is not the answer...

- We don’t look interested in these interstate games, it’s like we’ve lost the second we get on the plane.

- I know the club has told the players we won’t chase any big names but we need someone like Patrick Cripps. We are getting absolutely smashed around the footy and he would complement some of our more outside mids nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The biggest worry here is the bottom falls out and we get stuck in the Carlton/Essendon/Saints rebuild spin cycle. Hopefully not in our lifetime.

Even sadder if the bottom falls out when Allen is just about to peak.

Meh this was pencilled in before the match begun and we played like we knew it. Can’t say I expected less given how we handled the hub last year. As soon as announcements were made yesterday our players would have shat the bed, that combined with Geelongs shithole of a ground leads to what we got today. Still would have been nice to not lose by 97 f*cking points but I think the games we should continue to be pissed at are the Dogs and Saints games. 5-1 (with a below average %) if we win the games we were in control of. This is the only game out of our opening 6 that we haven’t been in control of.
Major positive.

We shouldn't have lost to Saints and Bulldogs. Beating Port made up for the Bulldogs one. The Saints loss is probably more unforgivable than today.

Positive - didn’t see any of it as I was in northcliff for the karri cup (100km Mtb event ) this time I was quite underprepared, due to various reasons.

im thinking watching that game may have been more painful.

Positive
not a 100 points loss
game not televised live

Tank 2021 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I can’t remember the last time I turned off an eagles game halfway through, but we were that bad I couldn’t watch it. Even whilst in lockdown where there is nothing else to do...

+ Another game into O’Neill.

+ Oscar Allen is a superstar.

+ Home game next week where I’m sure we will remember how to football...

- I love Andrew Gaff but he is not an inside mid, leave him on the wing where he can play to his strengths.

- Selling the farm for Kelly is going to come back to hurt us in the future.

- The backline constantly spoiling each other or getting in the way of each other.

- No one in the WAFL beating the door down, Zane Trew is not the answer...

- We don’t look interested in these interstate games, it’s like we’ve lost the second we get on the plane.

- I know the club has told the players we won’t chase any big names but we need someone like Patrick Cripps. We are getting absolutely smashed around the footy and he would complement some of our more outside mids nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Strongly disagree there we really need another inside mid with good hands and that kid has that.
As long as he competes tackles like he does and gets his hands dirty he will have a major impact for us

Zane Trew needs to debut in the derby and play him in the centre.

Positives
Brander was good again
Jack Redden was also

Negatives

I will start with the one we all gloss over
Nicholas Naitanui, he is over weight slow and a passenger too much.

He cant chase or even follow up his opponent they run of him too easily

His ruck work is great and initial follow up for clearance is good then he falls away.

There has been so many times this season in marking contests he opponent takes a contested mark that
if he wasnt so unfit he would of got there taken the mark himself or at least spoiled it, his lack of contest is disappointing

He is a good mark but seems to have no energy to will himself on the contest and compete.

He seriously needs to go on a diet, from what we have been hearing for a number of years is he overeats
and orders out too much.

I think he is 5 to 8 kilos overweight and its really effecting his play.

Next
Langdon is just too slow he chases but his opponent always gets to the ball quicker than him
putting him under pressure
He cant kick 45m

Tom Cole two head knocks in two weeks but his form is very average shouldn't be getting a game

Waterman was very average i cant see a spot for him in the side let him go back to wafl dominate for a few games then come back

Jarmaine Jones i would rather have him in the centre bounce than Andrew Gaff currently, like other have said
let Gaff go to wing and stay there.

Jones best football in the wafl has been when playing in the centre

Our midfielder pairings need more combinations bring in Jones and Duggan and Brander in on centre square pairings.

Our coaching is staying too the same not enough changes and moving players around.

We need to look at out assistant coaches and our fitness staff Warren Koefed has been they too long.

We used to be known as the fittest club in the league when Simmo started then he worked on our skills,
and every year in his tenure we have dropped back a lit bit in our fitness since then.

We have a team that can win a premiership this year if everything goes right at the moment, our
coaching and selection of players and positions they play is having a negative effect on the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back