Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right -- I take no issue with these words, and I think it will serve us both to carefully consider the words used here. Firstly, I am sorry for my childish reply. Secondly, let me begin by explaining how I (rightfully, I believe) interpret this text (if you'll indulge this "mental midgit!"). The text begin that the "doctrine of the Trinity developed gradually after the completion of the New Testament in the heat of controversy..." (bolding mine). We continue, the church fathers believed themselves to be not inventing a doctrine, but rather exegeting the text of Scripture handed them. Moreover, you wrote, "the Trinity was spelled out in the fourth century at two great ecumenical councils." (bolding mind, again).

These words I do not dispute. It cannot be denied, I think, that the doctrine of the Trinity, in its articulation, had been a slowly developing thing, and has for the most part now settled. But that its articulation developed, which is what the text you supplied affirms, is not the same thing as the doctrine it self developing, or being manufactured outside of the Biblical texts. Similarly, Christology, another hot-button theological topic throughout Christendom's history, has also developed in its articulation. It has been in the face of heretical whispers that these doctrines have not been created, but articulated and explained more precisely. As a Lutheran, I don't believe that Martin Luther invented a new doctrine on justification. He (and others before and after him) explained it more precisely than it had even been -- but it wasn't a new thing. The doctrine of the Trinity can be found in both Old and New Testament. It isn't added into or read into the text.

You read what i said, i said Trinity is NOT biblical, it's not what early Christians believed it. It's purely post Nicea belief system and mostly Augustine the Hippo who coined and defined the term properly, much like Original Sin.

As the text i posted mentioned, Christians wanted to differentiate themselves from the strong movement of Arianism, hence the distinction. They said , metaphors this and that and wanted to confirm their belief system. There is a book on this called 'scripted Jesus' which categorically provides evidence that Chrisitans wanting to confirm Christianity and fulfillment of the prophecy of OT, added those later verses. I made an extensive post earlier in the thread about this.

So there is your answer to the question 'why take a chance' which you asked me. You are willing to take a chance, so am i, cause i am confident even if a God exists, your deity doesn't. So why ask such stupid questions?
WE believe there is only one God, a triune God. God exists, and we have a relationship with Him.

The statement that I was replying to was that "His methods to bring people to peace in OT days, failed."

How could 'He' 'fail' if 'He' is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient? Whatever method he used, shouldn't it succeed because 'He' is all powerful where anything is possible? If 'He' is all-knowing shouldn't 'He' know that the method was going to choose would fail and therefore choose one that would succeed (which 'He' would also know) because 'He' is all-knowing?
Fair enough, I didn't read the whole conversation before replying. Also, you don't need to keep putting the inverted commas around God's pronouns -- is it that grating to speak of His personal existence, even hypothetically? :grinv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They pray for all those who worship false gods too. So do the Jews.
Jesus Is The Way.
It does not edify you that I keep replying to your provocations, not wanting to be rude, but I'm sure you'll understand I have a few more pressing issues, like celebrating our near 100 point win.

The massive drop off in numbers doesnt suggest this is the case. Chrisitnaity is dead in first world nations and in the next 30 years will be wiped out.
I should be around to verify that. Hope dementia has not set in more earnestly at that stage. Given that you already have me as demented....?

I should be around to verify that. Hope dementia has not set in more earnestly at that stage. Given that you already have me as demented....?

Unless you are deliberately trolling me, i am genuinely worried.

And you can verify it right now even, the numbers have dropped off massively in the past 30 years alone. Almost halved.

Right -- I take no issue with these words, and I think it will serve us both to carefully consider the words used here. Firstly, I am sorry for my childish reply. Secondly, let me begin by explaining how I (rightfully, I believe) interpret this text (if you'll indulge this "mental midgit!"). The text begin that the "doctrine of the Trinity developed gradually after the completion of the New Testament in the heat of controversy..." (bolding mine). We continue, the church fathers believed themselves to be not inventing a doctrine, but rather exegeting the text of Scripture handed them. Moreover, you wrote, "the Trinity was spelled out in the fourth century at two great ecumenical councils." (bolding mind, again).

These words I do not dispute. It cannot be denied, I think, that the doctrine of the Trinity, in its articulation, had been a slowly developing thing, and has for the most part now settled. But that its articulation developed, which is what the text you supplied affirms, is not the same thing as the doctrine it self developing, or being manufactured outside of the Biblical texts. Similarly, Christology, another hot-button theological topic throughout Christendom's history, has also developed in its articulation. It has been in the face of heretical whispers that these doctrines have not been created, but articulated and explained more precisely. As a Lutheran, I don't believe that Martin Luther invented a new doctrine on justification. He (and others before and after him) explained it more precisely than it had even been -- but it wasn't a new thing. The doctrine of the Trinity can be found in both Old and New Testament. It isn't added into or read into the text.
TL;DR

Unless you are deliberately trolling me, i am genuinely worried.

And you can verify it right now even, the numbers have dropped off massively in the past 30 years alone. Almost halved.
Have not slept much this week, could be a drop off in mentation.

So much bullshit. If I claimed that I have a relationship with a fleshlight, how would you feel?

Jesus knows you have no better game. He told me.
You remind me of the class fool, the one everyone thinks is a no-hoper, not realising that once the ADHD is diagnosed and treated, all is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back