Touched off the boot, time to get rid of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How many score reviews are we going to get each game. It's slowing the game down unnecessarily. Defenders are calling for everything in the hope that they overturn goals. Would it create such an outrage as to ignore touched off the boot for shots on goal. I'm not sure it should apply post the kick, but certainly during the kick.

How many score reviews are we going to get each game. It's slowing the game down unnecessarily. Defenders are calling for everything in the hope that they overturn goals. Would it create such an outrage as to ignore touched off the boot for shots on goal. I'm not sure it should apply post the kick, but certainly during the kick.
ummm no

just no

Keep it as a rule but only if the umpire calls it.

Happy with goal line reviews, I think they are important. But touched off the boot? If you aren't good enough to get enough of a hand on it for it to be noticed then it doesn't count. Just like it does for marks.

All the OCD folks might lose their s**t at first but they'll get used to it.

Happy with goal line reviews, I think they are important. But touched off the boot? If you aren't good enough to get enough of a hand on it for it to be noticed then it doesn't count. Just like it does for marks.

All the OCD folks might lose their sh*t at first but they'll get used to it.
Remember when they brought in goal reviews. They then took it upon themselves to check touched off the boot aswell. I hate it. Today's game Carlton V Brisbane was so frustrating to watch.

100% agree. If you tried harder you would have smothered the ball.

Remember when they brought in goal reviews. They then took it upon themselves to check touched off the boot aswell. I hate it. Today's game Carlton V Brisbane was so frustrating to watch.

100% agree. If you tried harder you would have smothered the ball.

I just remember the first time I saw it; a great goal kicked by a Collingwood player in an ANZAC day game. Cue several replays, slightest finger touch, moment ruined.

All the OCD folks might lose their sh*t at first but they'll get used to it.

Provided the broadcaster doesn’t find the need to highlight the missed touch, literally no one would ever know/care.

I’m over not celebrating big goals in the hope they don’t find a fingernail on a score review

Provided the broadcaster doesn’t find the need to highlight the missed touch, literally no one would ever know/care.

I’m over not celebrating big goals in the hope they don’t find a fingernail on a score review

The broadcasters have always been way more enthusiastic about these score reviews than the people have ever been.

What's wrong with the reviews? IMO it's actually a tad exciting waiting to see which way it'll go. Of course, the broadcaster can't whack an ad in there because reviews don't always take 30 seconds, so they'll be against it.

And because they don't like it they'll brainwash you to also not like it with repeated remarks about it, just like 'more goals = better football'.

Maybe they should just try using faster frame rate footage that shows a clearer indication of what’s happening. How can they determine if a ball is touched when one frame is the ball being kicked and the next frame the ball is 3’ towards past the defenders fingers?

Stop wasting time rolling that back and forth to see if it ‘looks like’ it was touched and use better cameras for the job. Or is there some AFL policy where they reserve the perfectly clear slow motion footage purely for returns from ad breaks?

Maybe they should just try using faster frame rate footage that shows a clearer indication of what’s happening. How can they determine if a ball is touched when one frame is the ball being kicked and the next frame the ball is 3’ towards past the defenders fingers?

Stop wasting time rolling that back and forth to see if it ‘looks like’ it was touched and use better cameras for the job. Or is there some AFL policy where they reserve the perfectly clear slow motion footage purely for returns from ad breaks?

They could no doubt do with better technology, but I just think the opportunity cost would be too high. So many more important things the money could be spent on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im of the opinion it needs to be seen to be called.
If its a blurred finger snapping back, or a possibility out of a congested situation, let it be a goal.

Unless the ump sees the ball's flight interrupted enough that it's clear to the naked eye, let it stand.
Only need for a review is if in watching the ball, they need to check if it's over the line or not.

We don't reward partial marks, or partial tackles.
Why reward a partial smother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back