Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As at 24 Apr 2021:

So far, 1,914,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across Australia.

Change from yesterday: 58000

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said 99.9% for the public hospital sector.
My point is that if you're going to quote a figure for the government funded/subsidised health sector quote for that part of the sector that treats and cares for covid patients, not parts that play no role like the aged care sector. In any case the public hospital system is by far the largest part of the government funded health sector.

I don’t understand people getting so bent out of shape from a minor lockdown.

We do not want to end up like countries that have no emergency beds, oxygen tanks or enough personnel to deal with the chaos.

But geez I can’t go to the pub/ cafe/ footy for a week. Suck it up you complaining whiny dicks and think about people who have got real problems

But geez I can’t go to the pub/ cafe/ footy for a week. Suck it up you complaining whiny dicks and think about people who have got real problems

The retail and hospitality industry and all their employees?

We do not want to end up like countries that have no emergency beds, oxygen tanks or enough personnel to deal with the chaos.

At the height of the pandemic this time last year, Australia's health officers set a target to increase their ventilator supply from 4400 to 7500, and they even reopened a few hospitals (such as the old calvary rehab hospital in Walkerville to cope with the expected demands of covid on the population. Being conservative, let's say only 1000 ventilators were dedicated to covid patients. Assuming 2.5% of all covid patients (and I'm being generous with that figure) require a ventilator, that would mean 40,000 people would have to be infected with covid in Australia at the same time in order to stretch our resources in that regard. This would essentially require multiple states to have Victoria like breakouts that were completely unchecked for multiple weeks before applying any sort of intervention. In other words, this idea that if we don't go into a state wide lockdown, that we end up looking like Italy, New York etc, is so beyond fanciful that I don't know why people keep thinking along those lines of it being a possibility.

Furthermore, New South Wales has shown on multiple occasions that outbreaks of community transmission can be contained without the need of state wide lockdowns.

Lockdowns are also terrible for the economy. It's easy as an office worker, government official etc to be extremely supportive of such wide lockdowns considering that said lockdowns don't affect them in the slightest. They're still getting paid in full after all. It's the small businesses who have to shut up shop at the drop of a whim with hardly any warning that get hit for 6 in all of this. They still have their overheads to pay with no income coming in, along with produce and other inventory having to be destroyed, and there's no compensation provided to help either, nor does insurance cover these types of events. It's no secret that when lockdowns are announced - even for short periods, that the number of calls to mental health support lines go through the roof, and you don't exactly have to look hard to realise why.

At the height of the pandemic this time last year, Australia's health officers set a target to increase their ventilator supply from 4400 to 7500, and they even reopened a few hospitals (such as the old calvary rehab hospital in Walkerville to cope with the expected demands of covid on the population. Being conservative, let's say only 1000 ventilators were dedicated to covid patients. Assuming 2.5% of all covid patients (and I'm being generous with that figure) require a ventilator, that would mean 40,000 people would have to be infected with covid in Australia at the same time in order to stretch our resources in that regard. This would essentially require multiple states to have Victoria like breakouts that were completely unchecked for multiple weeks before applying any sort of intervention. In other words, this idea that if we don't go into a state wide lockdown, that we end up looking like Italy, New York etc, is so beyond fanciful that I don't know why people keep thinking along those lines of it being a possibility.

Furthermore, New South Wales has shown on multiple occasions that outbreaks of community transmission can be contained without the need of state wide lockdowns.

Lockdowns are also terrible for the economy. It's easy as an office worker, government official etc to be extremely supportive of such wide lockdowns considering that said lockdowns don't affect them in the slightest. They're still getting paid in full after all. It's the small businesses who have to shut up shop at the drop of a whim with hardly any warning that get hit for 6 in all of this. They still have their overheads to pay with no income coming in, along with produce and other inventory having to be destroyed, and there's no compensation provided to help either, nor does insurance cover these types of events. It's no secret that when lockdowns are announced - even for short periods, that the number of calls to mental health support lines go through the roof, and you don't exactly have to look hard to realise why.

there’s your problem. I believe 22% of SA’s employment is government

I am thinking about people who have got real problems - people whose businesses have lost at least 3 days worth of revenue but whose landlords will still ask for full rent at the start of next month, people who work for said businesses and got sent home yesterday with no certainty over when their next shift will be but who still have an electricity bill they need to pay, etc.

And when other states (well, NSW) have been able to contain outbreaks far greater than 1 or 2 without locking down entire capital cities, these people have a right to wonder why their government is sacrificing their livelihoods when there appear to be alternative ways to get these tiny, tiny outbreaks under control.

Last edited:

Justifiably some people would be pissed it was caused by a completely unnecessary trip to India for a ******* wedding during a pandemic in a country with 300,000 cases a day.

Justifiably some people would be pissed it was caused by a completely unnecessary trip to India for a ******* wedding during a pandemic in a country with 300,000 cases a day.

Speaking of weddings, did you know that you are still permitted to hold a wedding with up to 100 guests this weekend in Perth so long as people wear masks?

Last edited:
Can anyone actually imagine this country accepting any level of community transmission of the virus, even after the population has been vaccinated? This is going to go on for years and years, I'm not even certain what the end game actually looks like.

It was always going to. The vaccines will hardly help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was always going to. The vaccines will hardly help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The end game overseas will probably look something like a yearly vaccination similar to the flu to prevent against the most common strains plus better treatment options for those who do get it and get it bad.

The point at which we open ourselves up to the virus floating around our community in this manner remains unclear to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy for you to say with you’re guaranteed 52 weeks income for 6 weeks work a year.

Last edited:
Looks like someone in Perth ate at a different restaurant every night between the 17-21st he or she also had lunch on the 18th.

The locations added after the latest positive case -

Morley: Kung Fu Kitchen (restaurant), 129 Russell StreetApril 21, 20215:00pm – 7:00pm
Northbridge: City China Garden (restaurant)April 20, 20215:00pm – 8:00pm
Northbridge: Good Fortune Roast Duck House (restaurant)April 19, 20215:00pm – 8:00pm
Northbridge: Fortune Five Chinese RestaurantApril 18, 20215:30pm – 7:00pm
Kardinya: Kitchen Inn (restaurant) 19/17-23 South StreetApril 18, 202112:00pm – 2:00pm
East Victoria Park: Anything La Corner (restaurant), U5-6/910 Albany HighwayApril 17, 20215:30pm – 8:00pm

This bit is a timely reminder..

Health Minister Roger Cook said one of the factors that had made tracing easier was that the infected woman had been using the SafeWA app.

I use the SA app every time I can but there are plenty who don't, particularly at the local Woolies.

Last edited:

Aren't you a teacher on permanency?

235 up from 209. wtf are we doing?

Letting too many planes from India in?

As at 24 Apr 2021:

So far, 1,914,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across Australia.

Change from yesterday: 58000

At a rate of 1,500 per day (a generous guesstimate) it will take SA over 5 years to vaccinate it's entire population. Yesterday SA delivered 1,017 of those 58,746 doses.

there’s your problem. I believe 22% of SA’s employment is government

People like to potshot the public sector, and yeah there's surely a bunch of useless pencil pushers and bureaucrats in there, but the bulk of that 22% is made up of frontline staff like nurses, teachers and police.

Letting too many planes from India in?

At a rate of 1,500 per day (a generous guesstimate) it will take SA over 5 years to vaccinate it's entire population. Yesterday SA delivered 1,017 of those 58,746 doses.
The take-up of the vaccination is slow in Vic too. Only a few hundred people received a vaccination at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre yesterday, and the site is capable of vaccinating 5,000 people per day.

Looks like someone in Perth ate at a different restaurant every night between the 17-21st he or she also had lunch on the 18th.

The locations added after the latest positive case -

Morley: Kung Fu Kitchen (restaurant), 129 Russell StreetApril 21, 20215:00pm – 7:00pm
Northbridge: City China Garden (restaurant)April 20, 20215:00pm – 8:00pm
Northbridge: Good Fortune Roast Duck House (restaurant)April 19, 20215:00pm – 8:00pm
Northbridge: Fortune Five Chinese RestaurantApril 18, 20215:30pm – 7:00pm
Kardinya: Kitchen Inn (restaurant) 19/17-23 South StreetApril 18, 202112:00pm – 2:00pm
East Victoria Park: Anything La Corner (restaurant), U5-6/910 Albany HighwayApril 17, 20215:30pm – 8:00pm

This bit is a timely reminder..

Health Minister Roger Cook said one of the factors that had made tracing easier was that the infected woman had been using the SafeWA app.

I use the SA app every time I can but there are plenty who don't, particularly at the local Woolies.

I use the Covid safe app too but wouldn’t want other people’s civil liberties be abused hey by checking in.
Their civil liberties to be selfish I mean.
Am really sick of the lack of community mindedness or laziness of so many.

People like to potshot the public sector, and yeah there's surely a bunch of useless pencil pushers and bureaucrats in there, but the bulk of that 22% is made up of frontline staff like nurses, teachers and police.

id suggest it’s more diverse than that.

it’s more the mind set SOME these employees have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back