Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Screenshot_20210425-085358~2.png

This is a problem. This isn't the first week that this list is full of some of our youngest.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damning, isn't it?

I'm pulling my hair out when I watch matches live at the moment.

I see Tarryn Thomas get 19 silky, smooth touches and bang through some shots on goal, and think "imagine what he could have done today" as his opponent burns him through hard work, time and time again, and I pull my hair out.

I watch Nick Larkey standing there in suspended animation all game instead of leading, when the bloke we turfed out of the club for him used to top this list most weeks, and I pull my hair out.

When I see Cam Zurhaar strike every contest with intensity, but with his hands on his knees gasping for air when the next contest is barely 15m away, I pull my hair out.

When I see Powell, Mahony, Phillips and Stephenson busting their gut to run defensively, trying to get back to provide us with some sort of structure, while LDU (admittedly did not look fit to play last night), Taylor, even Simpkin at times are walking 5m behind them, I pull my hair out.

When I see us burst forward and have absolutely nothing to kick to, I pull my hair out.

This my friends is how you lose your Man Bun. I should probably stop pulling my hair out.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I see Tarryn Thomas get 19 silky, smooth touches and bang through some shots on goal, and think "imagine what he could have done today" as his opponent burns him through hard work, time and time again, and I pull my hair out.

I watch Nick Larkey standing there in suspended animation all game instead of leading, when the bloke we turfed out of the club for him used to top this list most weeks, and I pull my hair out.

When I see Cam Zurhaar strike every contest with intensity, but with his hands on his knees gasping for air when the next contest is barely 15m away, I pull my hair out.

When I see Powell, Mahony, Phillips and Stephenson busting their gut to run defensively, trying to get back to provide us with some sort of structure, while LDU (admittedly did not look fit to play last night), Taylor, even Simpkin at times are walking 5m behind them, I pull my hair out.

When I see us burst forward and have absolutely nothing to kick to, I pull my hair out.

This my friends is how you lose your Man Bun. I should probably stop pulling my hair out.

You are covering a lot of territory that comes under "strategy" mate, which goes back to the coaches.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Yes real life viewing is worse and try sitting two rows back...it’s like some of our blokes run in quick sand

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You are covering a lot of territory that comes under "strategy" mate, which goes back to the coaches.

There was a passage of play David King pointed out which was particularly damning. Freo with the ball, at the attacking side of their wing. Three of our blokes standing there occupying space, holding defensive 'structure' while all three of their opponents were goalside of them and steaming towards the 50 to impact the contest.

If you've ever wondered how we are always outnumbered in both our defense and attack, that's the reason why.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow, that is surprising and frustrating. Will Phillips isn't yet getting rewarded for that level of work rate. The Powell one doesn't surprise me.

it’s truly embarrassing that our first year players, one who didn’t play football at all last year are fitter and working harder than blokes who have 4&5 pre seasons under their belt.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There was a passage of play David King pointed out which was particularly damning. Freo with the ball, at the attacking side of their wing. Three of our blokes standing there occupying space, holding defensive 'structure' while all three of their opponents were goalside of them and steaming towards the 50 to impact the contest.

If you've ever wondered how we are always outnumbered in both our defense and attack, that's the reason why.

It feels like something we have been poor at for years.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

The current list & tactical strategy was certain to breed apprehension.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The aim for 2021 should be to win 1 game and end up with a better percentage than Fitzroy 1996 (49.5).

We still have work to do to achieve this goal.

Lap it up "play the kids" zealots.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On a tangent, I would say one issue where the silence has been deafening is the lead-up to the Anzac Day blockbuster. The amount of noise in the lead-up to our match on Good Friday and calls in the media for us to be stripped of the fixture because we are not good enough was off the charts. Collingwood and * are both 1 and 4. That is not a blockbuster! Where are the calls for them to lose one of the many prime slots they both get each season?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On a tangent, I would say one issue where the silence has been deafening is the lead-up to the Anzac Day blockbuster. The amount of noise in the lead-up to our match on Good Friday and calls in the media for us to be stripped of the fixture because we are not good enough was off the charts. Collingwood and * are both 1 and 4. That is not a blockbuster! Where are the calls for them to lose one of the many prime slots they both get each season?

Hawks win in Tassie it's 16th v 17th.

Back