Review Round 6, 2021 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, pattern since the preseason and goes back to 2019. We won’t be serious contenders if we don’t play 4 quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What nonsense. We won more games than the premiers last year and finished above them on the ladder the year before. Winning quarters means SFA when it comes to winning finals

Feel like it wasn't entirely a bad thing that we started poorly last night. Had we got the jump on them I feel like they would of got a much stronger run on us later in the game and the momentum would of been too much for us to stop similar to our game against them their in 2019. Carlton are the comeback kings, however if they get false hope early they're likely to be overrun later in games I've seen.

On the commentators:

When Zac Bailey was having a shot on goal and missed, one of the other commentators referenced the kick after the siren with Maguire, who bemoaned that Bailey didn’t miss against Collingwood. And that is all you need to know that these are not impartial people calling a football game. They are, deep down, boosters and shills for whatever club, company or issue they favour.

By and large they love to try to ride Vic clubs home against ‘outsiders’ because it sits well with their core constituencies of viewers. They can’t help themselves. A few try to consciously balance it out but I’m not sure the words come out easily. Some of them are also just pretty bad with words generally.

Maguire is the absolute worst because he is openly wedded to Collingwood first and traditional Victorian clubs a close second in all his commentary. He plays to that traditionalist view very strongly - painting a picture of pure suburban tribal football and outsiders can never truly be understanding of the emotional attachment that these traditional fans have to their clubs and their rivalries. Our clubs are lesser in his mind.

He even has a way of referencing the Melbourne clubs in his commentary that is different to the interstate ones. In subtle and sometimes overt ways, Vic clubs are always ‘proud’ with ‘long histories’, ‘loyal’ supporters, ‘passionate’ etc. He tends to refer to Vic clubs by their whole name frequently - ‘Collingwood Football Club’, ‘Carlton Football Club’ as if this confers special status upon them as being more worthy of his, and therefore our, attention and respect.

Getting players’ names wrong, while not probably deliberate is another sign that they matter less because they are not with one of the clubs in close orbit around the epicentre of the football world. Those players in far flung clubs may be talented but not truly as important as those who play for the perceived ‘real’ clubs with ‘real’ histories and ‘real’ multi-generational families of supporters.

Suffice to say I am not Eddie’s greatest fan.

On the commentators:

When Zac Bailey was having a shot on goal and missed, one of the other commentators referenced the kick after the siren with Maguire, who bemoaned that Bailey didn’t miss against Collingwood. And that is all you need to know that these are not impartial people calling a football game. They are, deep down, boosters and shills for whatever club, company or issue they favour.

By and large they love to try to ride Vic clubs home against ‘outsiders’ because it sits well with their core constituencies of viewers. They can’t help themselves. A few try to consciously balance it out but I’m not sure the words come out easily. Some of them are also just pretty bad with words generally.

Maguire is the absolute worst because he is openly wedded to Collingwood first and traditional Victorian clubs a close second in all his commentary. He plays to that traditionalist view very strongly - painting a picture of pure suburban tribal football and outsiders can never truly be understanding of the emotional attachment that these traditional fans have to their clubs and their rivalries. Our clubs are lesser in his mind.

He even has a way of referencing the Melbourne clubs in his commentary that is different to the interstate ones. In subtle and sometimes overt ways, Vic clubs are always ‘proud’ with ‘long histories’, ‘loyal’ supporters, ‘passionate’ etc. He tends to refer to Vic clubs by their whole name frequently - ‘Collingwood Football Club’, ‘Carlton Football Club’ as if this confers special status upon them as being more worthy of his, and therefore our, attention and respect.

Getting players’ names wrong, while not probably deliberate is another sign that they matter less because they are not with one of the clubs in close orbit around the epicentre of the football world. Those players in far flung clubs may be talented but not truly as important as those who play for the perceived ‘real’ clubs with ‘real’ histories and ‘real’ multi-generational families of supporters.

Suffice to say I am not Eddie’s greatest fan.

Got the replay on now. Commentary is abysmal. It's not even commentating, it's commentary on Carlton. Praise them when they're doing well, examine what they need to to when they're down. This is is really bad.

Got the replay on now. Commentary is abysmal. It's not even commentating, it's commentary on Carlton. Praise them when they're doing well, examine what they need to to when they're down. This is is really bad.
On the Saturday stretch whatever it was this was their analysis of the game . Neale touched the umpire , merits a fine. Harry McKay ,how good is he , gave him 3 or 4 minutes. Fagan said in his presser the game is too long , a bit of talk about that. Then a couple of full minutes of Teague's presser ,then an analysis of where Carlton are at. That was it.

Finished work in time to listen to the third quarter driving home (and stopping at Coles).

Put on the ABC commentary, and it was all barracking for Carlton.

Got home for the fourth quarter, and had to listen to Eddie.

There was literally no difference between the ABC commentary team or channel 7’s commentary, all barracking for Carlton.

What nonsense. We won more games than the premiers last year and finished above them on the ladder the year before. Winning quarters means SFA when it comes to winning finals
I remember back to the 01,02,03 era where the Lions would be in a slog for much of a game but then in 10-15 mins kick 6 straight and put the game to bed. I think good teams are able to turn it on when required which we did last night.

As for Andrews, I’m sounding like a broken record, he needs to become more accountable defending 1 on 1, rather than looking for the chance to zone off and go for an intercept.
He doesn't seem to like the 1 on 1 contest , just stands behind his opponent and looks half hearted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished work in time to listen to the third quarter driving home (and stopping at Coles).

Put on the ABC commentary, and it was all barracking for Carlton.

Got home for the fourth quarter, and had to listen to Eddie.

There was literally no difference between the ABC commentary team or channel 7’s commentary, all barracking for Carlton.
The classic was when Cripps had his last snap on goal. Eddie was screaming making it sound like the last 10 seconds of the grand final, pleading for a goal. Then he had the nerve to say it looked like it was going straight through.

It was never going to be a goal.

Wonder how Harris Andrews love life is.....over time I've noticed some sportsmen/celebrities go off their game when a girlfriend is involved/or not going well. Serious.

Tiger Woods...Alex DeMinaur(this year)...Nick Kyrgios...Andrew O'Keefe....Johnny Depp etc.......probably more but cant think of them atm.

I know when my own life was a mess many years ago, I wasn't interested in too much except what was happening at the time. Can happen.

Just a left field thought, but something does definately seem out of sorts with Harris. He better sort it out or he could cost us a game. If he's injured he should be rested if not, drop him or at least warn him he'll be dropped. Something needs to perk him up out of it.

Last edited:
98.2% voted for Hugh McCluggage in the poll, the 1.8% who didn't need to have their Big Footy account suspended forthwith.

Best umpiring call this week would have to be the legit mark to McCluggage that got called a free against him
I had pushed this out of my mind with the rage but you have just dredged it back up.

What a bull s**t call. I though across the night we had some pretty rough decisions, but didn't think it was as one sided as the essendon game which felt legitimately rigged.

But when an umpire is calling frees from the other end of the ground overruling the controlling umpire surely you start to ask a few questions.

It would be easier to stomach if we got an armchair ride at home west coast style but we just get reamed everywhere.

You just have to love Eddie's hypocrisy. I remember years ago Eddie defending his one eyed commentary during a Collingwood interstate game. His justification for it at the time was that it was a commentators job to raise his voice when a traveling team scored, or had an exiting piece of play to compensate for the lack of crowd noise from the home state spectators. He should have been screaming the roof down whenever the lions did anything positive.

I don't usually notice the commentators much but they were extremely biased yesterday.

Wouldn't worry about the commentators. It has always been a pro Melbourne market and until the ratings go up in the other states it will continue to be. Constant and high volume complaints to the tv networks may help.

At least up in the nose bleed section on the wing you can clearly see who works hard. Dev and Callum surprised me with how hard they worked. Constantly in both parts of the ground which was great to see.

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry about the commentators. It has always been a pro Melbourne market and until the ratings go up in the other states it will continue to be. Constant and high volume complaints to the tv networks may help.

At least up in the nose bleed section on the wing you can clearly see who works hard. Dev and Callum surprised me with how hard they worked. Constantly in both parts of the ground which was great to see.

On AFL's "The Round So Far", Kane Cornes praised the Lions as described our win as very gutsy. Said he didn't want to speak too much about Carlton because they are disappointing.

Glad to hear that Dev and Callum were running hard to create contests.

I was worried about Adam Saad's run before the game but he ended up being a non factor, who did we have on him, whoever it was shut him down superbly. Tom Berry??

I was worried about Adam Saad's run before the game but he ended up being a non factor, who did we have on him, whoever it was shut him down superbly. Tom Berry??

He was on Charlie Cameron a fair bit. Carlton just didn’t use his run very well and our forwards pressure was great despite Charlie not applying much.

Back