Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means to many clangers. We turn the ball over the per team the second most in the comp.

You sure? Coming into this round we turned the ball over the second-least in the comp. 257 clangers in five rounds, behind only the Bulldogs (250).

The stats don’t lie.

Suprising we have won a game.

Ranked 15th in Contested Possessions Per Game

● Ranked 18th in Metres Gained Per Game

Ranked 18th in Tackles Per Game
● Ranked 18th in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Clangers Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Rebound 50s Per Game

Not pleasant reading, but to be honest the stats don't surprise me at all, especially the tackle count and the contested possessions, we play bruise free football and when our raw talent is on we cover a whole multitude of, shortcomings in the "hard yakka" work department.

We have way to many seagulls and players that are shy of physicality.

Our supporters know it.

But more poignantly the opposition coaches and players know it, put the blow torch on the West Coast players consistently and its only a matter of time before the cracks appear and they expose their soft underbelly, at which point you put your foot down, overrun and out body them.

Sad indictment on both the players, the coaching staff and the Club itself to accept this from its charges.

The Board needs to issue an emphatic " Please Explain " to all beneath them - Football Operations, Coaching and Recruiting.

First stage of fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have one.

You sure? Coming into this round we turned the ball over the second-least in the comp. 257 clangers in five rounds, behind only the Bulldogs (250).

I got it from AFL tables in the low ranking area, you may be right with that now that I think of it. Would make more sense yes.
Doesnt change the important stats though and we are terrible where it counts.

Not pleasant reading, but to be honest the stats don't surprise me at all, especially the tackle count and the contested possessions, we play bruise free football and when our raw talent is on we cover a whole multitude of, shortcomings in the "hard yakka" work department.

We have way to many seagulls and players that are shy of physicality.

Our supporters know it.

But more poignantly the opposition coaches and players know it, put the blow torch on the West Coast players consistently and its only a matter of time before the cracks appear and they expose their soft underbelly, at which point you put your foot down, overrun and out body them.

Sad indictment on both the players, the coaching staff and the Club itself to accept this from its charges.

The Board needs to issue an emphatic " Please Explain " to all beneath them - Football Operations, Coaching and Recruiting.

First stage of fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have one.

Good post mate, spot on. one would think this is known inside the club but it clearly is not addressed.

It means to many clangers. We turn the ball over the per team the second most in the comp.
I still think you've read this wrong Shark. Less Clangers = better. No way Kangaroos are more effective than us

1619303978142.png

How I read it too. Not sugarcoating our problems but one less thing to be upset about.

That’s not an overreaction at all.

65% winning record, puts him a touch ahead of Malthouse as best in club history, finals every year since 2015, flag just over two years ago. But nah sack the bloke six weeks into the season because of a bad loss.

Let’s ignore how we inconsistent we have been since 2016 - with 2018 being an outlier - and that while our recruiting of talls is very good, our midfield recruiting has been poor.

We have lost vital games due to poor team selection and predictable game tactics going back to 2019 and the only threat we pose is to the mirror from a vanity perspective.

Simpson refuses to address fundamental issues in our game plan and certain players are ‘untouchable’ no matter how bad they play.

But hey we won a premiership in 2018 so let’s forget about everything else.

Let’s ignore how we inconsistent we have been since 2016 - with 2018 being an outlier - and that while our recruiting of talls is very good, our midfield recruiting has been poor.

So a premiership is a meaningless “outlier”, not an achievement of the ultimate goal of playing footy. And the coach is responsible for recruiting now.

We have lost vital games due to poor team selection and predictable game tactics going back to 2019 and the only threat we pose is to the mirror from a vanity perspective.

Simpson refuses to address fundamental issues in our game plan and certain players are ‘untouchable’ no matter how bad they play.

But hey we won a premiership in 2018 so let’s forget about everything else.

So a premiership is a meaningless “outlier”, not an achievement of the ultimate goal of playing footy. And the coach is responsible for recruiting now.

And we’ve made finals every year since 2015, made two grand finals, won 65% of our games, won as many or more flags than anyone in that time bar Richmond and ... nope, that’s it.

But hey we lost a game by 97 points so let’s forget about everything else.

And we’ve made finals every year since 2015, made two grand finals, won 65% of our games, won as many or more flags than anyone in that time bar Richmond and ... nope, that’s it.

But hey we lost a game by 97 points so let’s forget about everything else.

I know it must be hard being Adam Simpson’s son posting on an Internet forum but here are some hard facts:

1) Besides North Melbourne, who expect to lose every week, no team fears us and every team knows even if we are leading at three quarter time, put enough pressure on us and we will fold quicker than a deck of playing cards.

2) Our finals record isn’t going to improve anymore under Adam Simpson.
2015 - Won two at home, lost grand final (Embarrassing loss)
2016 - Beaten at home. Game over by half time.
2017 - Shuey kicks goal after siren for win against Port. Thrashed by GWS the following week.
2018 - Win all three finals including grand final thanks to Dom Sheed.
2019 - Best easy beats Essendon at home only for Geelong to run all over us the following week.
2020 - Beaten by Collingwood on our home deck.
2021 - Players watch finals series from their lounge rooms complaining that the Uber home delivery service is slow; the driver avoided contact and went to the wrong house initially.

Last edited:
I don't disagree.

The question is, do we except this gentle gentle/softly-softly BS which apparently this cornerstone to modern coaching, or, do we demand a coach who is more brutal and not everyone's best mate?

Of all the current coaches i have seen (with the excpetion of David Teague) our coach would be the bone fide softest.

I just wanna see him truly mad so I can ascertain what sort of standards from the playing group he refuses to accept
Did you actually watch his press conference? Called our players weak and alluded to them being mentally fragile, which he admitted is the responsibility of the coaching group and that they also weren't up to it.

Not sure exactly what more you want him to say?

He still has to keep the playing group on side and publicly naming and shaming will lose them very fast.

Your wish for a 'rant' is completely flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you actually watch his press conference? Called our players weak and alluded to them being mentally fragile, which he admitted is the responsibility of the coaching group and that they also weren't up to it.

I personally haven't watched the press conference, or anything to do with that game, but if Simpson said that then he's ticked the first two boxes. Acknowledged we have a problem and has identified what it is.

And I think he's right.

The next test is how the club, players and coaching staff, respond. Not just in the derby but for the rest of the year. If we lose matches despite putting in a four quarter effort, I don't think people will be too upset. If we cough up what we have in ALL of our away games this year, heads should roll.

Don't tell Miguel
But seriously though, why? You don't just randomly change the way you play for no reason, there must have been some sort of catalyst.
* knows. It’s the million dollar question that will sum up this side when people look back in 10 years time. I’m too hungover to think about it right now

Not sure exactly what more you want him to say?

He still has to keep the playing group on side and publicly naming and shaming will lose them very fast.

Your wish for a 'rant' is completely flawed.

I was expecting him to just mirror the thoughts of this website

"Personally I thought the game went to custard when Brayden Ainsworth came on. Cant kick, cant run. I dont even know why he has a contract to be honest. He does nothing for me at all. Vardy is useless. Rucks for 20% of the game poorly then spends 80% of the game contemplating what he is doing with the rest of his life. He will definetly get the chop. Dont get me started on Jamie Cripps. He has the composure of a frog in a blanket. One person who wont be dropped is ThunderThighs Langdon. With leg muscles like that and his ability to hit 65m chest thumpers Id expect he will make a late charge for the Brownlow Medal"

Remember when we were seriously making arguments that Simpson is better than Mick?

:$

I'd have Woosha ahead too atm. Didn't get pumped in a Grand Final, rebuilt the team from wooden spoon to top 4, and dragged a team that was one of the worst West Coast sides of all time in 2001 to the finals in 2002, often with a forward line of Phil Matera in the early years. Had a recruitment team that knew how to draft a midfield. Hell, he even rebuilt the forward line between 2011 and 2012 when we lost all our leading goal kickers from 2011 to injury. We got pumped under Woosha in that 2008-2010 period, but at least it was a clear re-build, both culturally and on the field. This team is meant to be a contender. Injuries don't help the W-L columns, but they shouldn't have an impact on intent. Tackle, tackle, tackle.

If Simpson can turn this around, we can re-open the Woosha vs Simpson debate, but Mick is untouchable.

I was expecting him to just mirror the thoughts of this website

"Personally I thought the game went to custard when Brayden Ainsworth came on. Cant kick, cant run. I dont even know why he has a contract to be honest. He does nothing for me at all. Vardy is useless. Rucks for 20% of the game poorly then spends 80% of the game contemplating what he is doing with the rest of his life. He will definetly get the chop. Dont get me started on Jamie Cripps. He has the composure of a frog in a blanket. One person who wont be dropped is ThunderThighs Langdon. With leg muscles like that and his ability to hit 65m chest thumpers Id expect he will make a late charge for the Brownlow Medal"
No one, and I mean absolutely no one said that Langdon was any good. You said that his legs had no muscle definition and then looked like a dickhead when pictures were posted showing him with legs with muscle definition.

No one, and I mean absolutely no one said that Langdon was any good. You said that his legs had no muscle definition and then looked like a dickhead when pictures were posted showing him with legs with muscle definition.

Mate, 3 times yesterday he roosted the ball and it went 35-40m? Whats that tell you

Remember when we were seriously making arguments that Simpson is better than Mick?

:$

I'd have Woosha ahead too atm. Didn't get pumped in a Grand Final, rebuilt the team from wooden spoon to top 4, and dragged a team that was one of the worst West Coast sides of all time in 2001 to the finals in 2002, often with a forward line of Phil Matera in the early years. Had a recruitment team that knew how to draft a midfield. Hell, he even rebuilt the forward line between 2011 and 2012 when we lost all our leading goal kickers from 2011 to injury. We got pumped under Woosha in that 2008-2010 period, but at least it was a clear re-build, both culturally and on the field. This team is meant to be a contender. Injuries don't help the W-L columns, but they shouldn't have an impact on intent. Tackle, tackle, tackle.

If Simpson can turn this around, we can re-open the Woosha vs Simpson debate, but Mick is untouchable.
Yep the early 90s Eagles were elite.

Blessed to have been able to attend the 1994 GF and basically see the perfect Grand Final performance other than accuracy.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we look at Simpson tactically, its same old problems

-ground ball
-tackling

I just wish a journalist would ask him what he is doing to address these. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to value tackling, and problems with ground ball differential have plagued us for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back