Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Port Adelaide Round 7 @ The Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Battered and bruised v the Blues today, hopefully everyone comes up OK.

Was Gardiner a concussion sub, if so does that mean he automatically sits out next week, Lachie said he heard a pop when his ankle went under him, not confident he will get up for the game.

Outs- Lachie Neale(ankle?), Darcy Gardiner(concussion?), Grant Birchall(omitted), Jaxon Prior(omitted).

Ins- Rhys Matheison, Tom Berry, Jarrod Berry, Keidean Coleman.

If Lachie's fine Matho misses out, if Darcy is fine Keidean misses out.

Officially injured as per AFL injury list:

Rayner - Season
McFayden - 5-6 weeks
Ely TBC
Payne 2-3
Archie Test
J Berry Test

Did not play last round:

CEY
Joyce
Answerth (available this week)

Possibly injured:

Gardiner (conclusion will miss)
Neale (ankle)
Robbo (facial injury?)

Battered and bruised v the Blues today, hopefully everyone comes up OK.

Was Gardiner a concussion sub, if so does that mean he automatically sits out next week, Lachie said he heard a pop when his ankle went under him, not confident he will get up for the game.

Outs- Lachie Neale(ankle?), Darcy Gardiner(concussion?), Grant Birchall(omitted), Jaxon Prior(omitted).

Ins- Rhys Matheison, Tom Berry, Jarrod Berry, Keidean Coleman.

If Lachie's fine Matho misses out, if Darcy is fine Keidean misses out.
Gardiner was concussion so yeah he's definitely out next week.

Berry if fit comes in for prior
Gardiner if unfit makes way for Answerth

Gardiner out as concussed.. So do we keep Andrews, Adams and Lester as talls only and go Answerth even though he not played for a month
Andrews seems a little lost with the speed the ball coming in lucky Adams is fit.
Lester did not have a great game. Payne still a few weeks off so be interesting what we do
Ballenden done good as the spare down back in VFL.. Not sure how that role get him in to seniors with Birchall and Rich.
or go Answerth with no game time touch..
Or do we swing McStay back if needed and keep Tom Berry in the side for Darcy
J Berry comes in for Prior?

Matho I thought was BOG for us in a half in the VFL although unless Neale is out cannot see him getting a game

According to Fagan, Jarrod Berry has groin soreness, no guarantee to be available next week.

With Gardiner out, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fages give Brock Smith a go. He didn't have a great game in the VFL today, but has been tracking well by all reports and was solid last week. With so much experience down back around him, we can probably afford to have him debut even against a team as strong as Port. Looking at our list, my sense is that he would be the most like for like player we have for Dizzy of all who are currently fit.

Noah obviously has some appeal too, but I'd be surprised if we played him off no footy for a month. We did it with Dizzy & McStay, but Noah's not quite at their level. Nor is he a clear replacement for Dizzy.

You would think that Harris will go to Charlie Dixon and Marcus will go to Todd Marshall, which just leaves us needing to cover Georgiades as their third tall up forward. Not that he's particularly tall though, so perhaps Lester is up to covering him.

A clear option if that is the case could be moving Ah Chee down back and slotting Tom Berry in up forward.

Will be tough battle against Port but we did a number on them in the corresponding game last year.

Port have some first 22 players like Butters, Duursma out too so this will be an interesting game for both teams.

With Gardiner out, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fages give Brock Smith a go. He didn't have a great game in the VFL today, but has been tracking well by all reports and was solid last week. With so much experience down back around him, we can probably afford to have him debut even against a team as strong as Port. Looking at our list, my sense is that he would be the most like for like player we have for Dizzy of all who are currently fit.

Noah obviously has some appeal too, but I'd be surprised if we played him off no footy for a month. We did it with Dizzy & McStay, but Noah's not quite at their level. Nor is he a clear replacement for Dizzy.

You would think that Harris will go to Charlie Dixon and Marcus will go to Todd Marshall, which just leaves us needing to cover Georgiades as their third tall up forward. Not that he's particularly tall though, so perhaps Lester is up to covering him.

A clear option if that is the case could be moving Ah Chee down back and slotting Tom Berry in up forward.
I rate Georgiades, likely too nimble for Lester, also has a good leap, reckon maybe Starc gets him. I also think Adams will take Dixon and maybe Harris gets to peel off Marshall to intercept. Unless Marshall sacrifices his game for the team and leads Andrews away from the contest, leaving Dixon 1 v 1 against Adams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Answerth comes in because their smaller forwards could potentially carve us up with the current line up we have. Motlop and Fantasia are a bit hit and miss but very good on their night.

Agree would also consider Ah Chee down back for this particular game . He was effective last night down back in nullifying Carlton's ground ball influence. Starcevich is our best match for Gray who can be good overhead.

Andrews has a fairly good record on Dixon . That was when he was playing really well. Lester keeps his spot due to Gardiner being out . Adams to Marshall or potentially Dixon.

Which leaves us with Birchall out . I doubt Fagan will do it.

Answerth hasn't played for a month and is not a first choice player.

Madden and Smith have both been playing well in the reserves and I think one of those should get the chance. I think Madden the most likely as I expect Fagan to be keen to use the opportunity to bring in the elite pace that Madden has.

FWIW the other option is to move Prior back.

Answerth hasn't played for a month and is not a first choice player.

Madden and Smith have both been playing well in the reserves and I think one of those should get the chance. I think Madden the most likely as I expect Fagan to be keen to use the opportunity to bring in the elite pace that Madden has.

FWIW the other option is to move Prior back.
What is your opinion of Madden in 1 v 1 contests?

I think Answerth comes in because their smaller forwards could potentially carve us up with the current line up we have. Motlop and Fantasia are a bit hit and miss but very good on their night.

Agree would also consider Ah Chee down back for this particular game . He was effective last night down back in nullifying Carlton's ground ball influence. Starcevich is our best match for Gray who can be good overhead.

Andrews has a fairly good record on Dixon . That was when he was playing really well. Lester keeps his spot due to Gardiner being out . Adams to Marshall or potentially Dixon.

Which leaves us with Birchall out . I doubt Fagan will do it.
Birchall looked spent last night, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him rested soon.
Might be more likely he doesn’t travel West the week after against Freo.

I think we’ll just shuffle Ah Chee down back and probably give Berry a full game.

I wouldn’t asked Quigley for an unbiased opinion on Madden.

I'm a Madden fan, but he is not a good 1 on 1 player. If he was playing a run and carry role that didn't have to be defensively accountable he'd do well, but I'm not sure we'd want to take that risk v Port.

Most likely option will be Prior going into the backline.

I'm a Madden fan, but he is not a good 1 on 1 player. If he was playing a run and carry role that didn't have to be defensively accountable he'd do well, but I'm not sure we'd want to take that risk v Port.

I don’t think there’s any sort of indication he’s ready to play at AFL level

I'm not convinced of Prior's defensive capabilities at this level as yet . But this is a game to find out if we think he can do it.

I'm not convinced of Prior's defensive capabilities at this level as yet . But this is a game to find out if we think he can do it.

For sure. Not convinced either, but is more or less an offensive wingman. Would trust him defensively a whole lot more than Madden.

Don't think there's any three game player that will display the defensive capabilities expected of that for an AFL player. They need to learn that and it only comes through practice and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back