Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Maurice is playing like Dan used to play. Nailing tackles, relentlessly pressuring and kicking the opportunist goals.
The coaches seem happy for Dan to guard space in our forward half and endlessly chase players but he's capable of so much more.
Was a better game by Dan on the weekend but he just hasn't got that killer closing speed and intensity he used to have that made defenders s**t their dacks.
Somewhat ironic that Jnr may be the one that eventually pushes Dan out of the best 22.

box070

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Best
892F0905-AD5B-4BEA-AA0F-7D712CB9D254.png

As bad as he is, I'd rather him than Aarts. When Dan gets the ball, something positive usually happens. Just needs to find more of it.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
It baffles me how many on here don’t understand his role in the team
And how did that go last night. Melbourne's half backs killed us, waltzed it out of defence. Daniel has lost his speed. It is okay to do the defensive stuff well which he may well be doing, but in the past when the ball was in his hands he had the toe and agility to break would be tacklers. Now he can't get that separation. Aarts is slower still, but is stronger and stands up in tackles better, but both of them are not playing good enough football. His cousin looks like he loves the defensive stuff but looks very quick.

Our forward line was saved by Bolton last night, all the others were too slow to implement our trademark pressure. Melbourne were the opposite.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
It baffles me how many on here don’t understand his role in the team

What is it? To make others look so much better, as that is what he is doing.
Had plenty of company, but was truly awful last night.
Tracking at one good game from five, which face it, is it about his average these days.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
And how did that go last night. Melbourne's half backs killed us, waltzed it out of defence. Daniel has lost his speed. It is okay to do the defensive stuff well which he may well be doing, but in the past when the ball was in his hands he had the toe and agility to break would be tacklers. Now he can't get that separation. Aarts is slower still, but is stronger and stands up in tackles better, but both of them are not playing good enough football. His cousin looks like he loves the defensive stuff but looks very quick.

That's the thing, buddy. His role, which gets spruiked on here on a weekly, almost daily basis, but it's a stretch to suggest he is fulfilling his role adequately.
Was a non-event last night.
A second round pick from Port would have been a clear win for us.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
What is it? To make other look so much better, as that is what he is doing.
Had plenty of company, but was truly awful last night.
Tracking at one good game from five, which face it, is it about his average these days.
Our fwd line got smashed. Ball comes into the 50 often enough. straight to oppo defenders. Either Salem or to the talls. 6 goals in a game of football is appalling. Need to get one or 2 dropped but with injuries to midfielders and Grimes I'd like to see CJ coming in for Rioli/Aarts. On a par need a break and pay VFL and freshen up.
Baker & Balta maybe playing up the to cover Dusty & Lambert.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the thing, buddy. His role, which gets spruiked on here on a weekly, almost daily basis, but it's a stretch to suggest he is fulfilling his role adequately.
Was a non-event last night.
A second round pick from Port would have been a clear win for us.
We dont need second rnd picks from Port.
Theyre SA U18 captains come to us anyway
Graham,CCJ

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
its not often you see our small fwds front and centre, maybe one occaisionally.

I dont understand the way he plays but he’s been doing it for years.
Neither him or George had an impact last night
Aarts is our best front and centre crumber, but he is not quick enough in other aspects like chasing and harassing. Still think Cotch should be given a bit more time down there, he looked way off it last night for some reason. Would like to see MRJunior also in as he is a natural small forward.

really disappointing last night. He wasnt alone however.

i just dont know where his heads at. And is he there for that flash of class?

I thought the night was summed up when i think jack infringed, ball came out and dan picked up and snapped (along the ground) to an empty goal. hit the post.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Strangely Rioli got 13 disposals and laid 5 tackles.
Castagna got 9 disposals and 6 tackles.
Aarts got 7 disposals and 4 tackles.

Playing devils advocate, one could make an arguement he was the best of the three. But the quality of the posessions werent great and theres obviously more to it than disposals and tackles.

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Strangely Rioli got 13 disposals and laid 5 tackles.
Castagna got 9 disposals and 6 tackles.
Aarts got 7 disposals and 4 tackles.

Playing devils advocate, one could make an arguement he was the best of the three. But the quality of the posessions werent great and theres obviously more to it than disposals and tackles.
He was the best no doubt, but he had little effect, Aarts a littler bit and Castagna nothing.

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Am I the only one who thinks either (or both to be honest)
1. Lost his speed that was such a exciting thing to watch (maybe he’s never been the same since that Grand Final injury)
And 2. His head just doesn’t seem to be in it? Of course for a small forward and a role player like him it does seem to a fan that he drifts out of games because of the lack of disposals, but for me he just doesn’t look up to it. He is so slow when he has the ball, constantly gets manhandled by opposition half backs the same size as him.
Where is the chasing and the tackling. Where are the goals. Worrying signs for me

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Am I the only one who thinks either (or both to be honest)
1. Lost his speed that was such a exciting thing to watch (maybe he’s never been the same since that Grand Final injury)
And 2. His head just doesn’t seem to be in it? Of course for a small forward and a role player like him it does seem to a fan that he drifts out of games because of the lack of disposals, but for me he just doesn’t look up to it. He is so slow when he has the ball, constantly gets manhandled by opposition half backs the same size as him.
Where is the chasing and the tackling. Where are the goals. Worrying signs for me

No ... you're not the only one.
All very valid points and all worrying signs.
But cue the Kool-Aid drinkers who will bang on about the 2017 preliminary final.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Aarts is our best front and centre crumber, but he is not quick enough in other aspects like chasing and harassing. Still think Cotch should be given a bit more time down there, he looked way off it last night for some reason. Would like to see MRJunior also in as he is a natural small forward.

Deep forward is where I would see Cotch's best value right now.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils

Our forward line was saved by Bolton last night, all the others were too slow to implement our trademark pressure. Melbourne were the opposite.
blame Aarts ... Rioli had 5 tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back