Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we were seriously making arguments that Simpson is better than Mick?

:$

I'd have Woosha ahead too atm. Didn't get pumped in a Grand Final, rebuilt the team from wooden spoon to top 4, and dragged a team that was one of the worst West Coast sides of all time in 2001 to the finals in 2002, often with a forward line of Phil Matera in the early years. Had a recruitment team that knew how to draft a midfield. Hell, he even rebuilt the forward line between 2011 and 2012 when we lost all our leading goal kickers from 2011 to injury. We got pumped under Woosha in that 2008-2010 period, but at least it was a clear re-build, both culturally and on the field. This team is meant to be a contender. Injuries don't help the W-L columns, but they shouldn't have an impact on intent. Tackle, tackle, tackle.

If Simpson can turn this around, we can re-open the Woosha vs Simpson debate, but Mick is untouchable.
I think the issue is our "brand" is on the nose under Simpson.

We are front runners and you usually know if the boys are up for it in the first 5 minutes. When we don't turn up the whole group looks beset by lethargy and a cbf attitude to the basics.

Now we've advanced to rolling over in games we decided to turn up to.

I watched Simmo's presser this morning. I think he's begun to understand the gravity of where his group is at. He seemed a bit cocky after St Kilda but not so yesterday. He seemed shocked that the capitulation had been so thorough imo.

Unless he kicks with his arms, I dont get what you mean...
Well he's clearly got muscle definition in his legs, you can see it.
But there's not necessarily a correlation between leg muscle and kicking anyway, Jetta had some of the skinniest calves in the world and he was one of the best kicks in the team.
Either way we're in agreement on one thing, Langdon is not very good.

If we look at Simpson tactically, its same old problems

-ground ball
-tackling

I just wish a journalist would ask him what he is doing to address these. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to value tackling, and problems with ground ball differential have plagued us for years

Ground ball in what sense? Crumbing or roving packs or you mean midfield ability to pick it up off the deck?

Tackling is obviously the big issue but lets not be stupid either. The clubs 2 best tacklers in Shuey and one of the best in the league in Yeo being out is throwing a huge curveball with that side of the game. Hutchings would also be up there as a good tackler especially when we move him off the flank. The issue really is we havnt picked up someone to cover that well enough. We also dont have many players running around who would come to us, sit in the 2nds until a spot opens up and then become a A grade tackler in the competition either..

The injuries issue is one thing but the structural issues they are causing cant be underestimated either

Just for comparisons sake here’s the equivalent players we have out to the current top 4. Best 7 players of each in similar positions to ours:

Bulldogs (Heavily midfield weighted so the comparison is a bit off here)
- Bont
- Treloar
- Macrae
- Dunkley
- Naughton
- Williams (who’s already out but a fair comparison to Hurn)
- English

Melbourne
- Petracca
- Oliver
- Brown (also already out so fair enough but also hasn’t played a game for them so not sure how good this one is)
- Pickett
- May
- Salem
- Langdon

Port
- Dixon
- Wines
- Boak
- Houston
- Butters (already out)
- Jonas
- Duursma (out)

Geelong
- Danger (out)
- Hawkins
- Duncan
- Selwood
- Stewart
- Henderson
- Higgins (out)

Honestly goodluck to any of those teams at Optus against a relatively full strength Eagles (as Geelong were yesterday). Maybe not to the extent of 97 points but I’d be putting money on at least a 10 goal win against all of them. Goodwin, Bevo, Scott and Hinkley would also look like they have no idea what’s going on.

Weirdly enough it helps having your best players to select from to look like a good coach.. Clarkson is a one of the greatest coaches of the modern era but even can only do so much when he doesn’t have decent players.

You can say it’s “effort” but when you’re carrying so many duds and fringe players in a 22 of course it’s going to look like no ones trying as they’re all covering for players that wouldn’t normally be there and obviously aren’t as good and reliable as the players they replaced. Sure we’ve had issues when our guys have been available but so has every team in the league and we’ve never had it to this extent.

I don’t know what else people want, we’ve actually still managed to look alright in most of our games with half our team out (Port game was the closest we’ve been to full strength and it showed). We’re a bottom 8 side without half our best 22. In other news, water is wet.

Last edited:
The stats don’t lie.

Suprising we have won a game.

Ranked 15th in Contested Possessions Per Game

● Ranked 18th in Metres Gained Per Game

Ranked 18th in Tackles Per Game
● Ranked 18th in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Clangers Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Rebound 50s Per Game

For what it’s worth 17th in clangers is a good thing, it means second fewest.

Then there’s the stats at the other end.

Third in kicks, second in marks - speaks for itself.

Third in fewest opponent i50s, because our games often play out slower than others with denying the ball. Also explains our rebound numbers because you can’t rebound when it doesn’t go in that often.

We know the strengths and weaknesses of the game style. I don’t think it’s fair to say “the stats speak for themselves” when you disregard the things the game style emphasises.

Should we be better physically and around the contested ball? Absolutely. Cherry picking numbers at one end of the spectrum doesn’t emphasise that though.

I know it must be hard being Adam Simpson’s son posting on an Internet forum
Literally no reason for that.

Engage in a good decent discussion like you are, without the petty insult thanks.

By the way; like Simmo, hate Simmo, loved him but time is up, want to back him in. It’s all fine. Fill your boots.

This concept that we “fluked” a Premiership in 2018 can get ****ed. That just can’t happen. We won two grind it out finals, plus one absolute humiliation of a walkover. We got ourselves in that position by winning a shitload of games and finishing top two.

You can’t trip and fall and wind up in the top two, then roll through all before you for a flag. Just stop it.

If we look at Simpson tactically, its same old problems

-ground ball
-tackling

I just wish a journalist would ask him what he is doing to address these. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to value tackling, and problems with ground ball differential have plagued us for years
A valid point here

Why doesn’t this get asked post game.

I know fox footy will analyse it this week

By the way; like Simmo, hate Simmo, loved him but time is up, want to back him in. It’s all fine. Fill your boots.

This concept that we “fluked” a Premiership in 2018 can get f’ed. That just can’t happen. We won two grind it out finals, plus one absolute humiliation of a walkover. We got ourselves in that position by winning a shitload of games and finishing top two.

You can’t trip and fall and wind up in the top two, then roll through all before you for a flag. Just stop it.
We certainly didn't fluke it, but it was 100% the result of a change in game style that resulted in us winning more contested ball.
I'd just like to know where that change came from and why we can't replicate it most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So insulting. How will he ever recover?
Good mature response. It’s petty and I would prefer you refrain from making petty insults. Make sense?

Found your replacement coach yet?

We certainly didn't fluke it, but it was 100% the result of a change in game style that resulted in us winning more contested ball.
I'd just like to know where that change came from and why we can't replicate it most of the time.
because the guys are happy with 1 flag

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

For what it’s worth 17th in clangers is a good thing, it means second fewest.

Then there’s the stats at the other end.

Third in kicks, second in marks - speaks for itself.

Third in fewest opponent i50s, because our games often play out slower than others with denying the ball. Also explains our rebound numbers because you can’t rebound when it doesn’t go in that often.

We know the strengths and weaknesses of the game style. I don’t think it’s fair to say “the stats speak for themselves” when you disregard the things the game style emphasises.

Should we be better physically and around the contested ball? Absolutely. Cherry picking numbers at one end of the spectrum doesn’t emphasise that though.

I acknowledged the clangers in an earlier post which you have missed.
Third in kicks and second in marks says we overuse the ball which we know we do by going sideways to often instead of attacking and hence results in fewer inside 50’s.

It was not cherry picking, there are only a few stats that coaches even look at to determine where their team is going, tackling and contested ball would be the two biggest. At any footy level those two are huge in any coaches mind.
There is no game plan that can be successful without both contested ball and tackling/pressure being through the roof.
I am not disregarding our game style, I am acknowleding it and saying it is a style that can’t have success without the other two major components. We are as bad as any club in the other two.
Its a major problem and has been for a long time.

The thing I'd like to know is what actually happened at the end of 2018 that caused us to change our playing style out of nowhere and ramp up our contested game.

The group have lost their hunger and desire, they find it spasmodically but in general terms it is not there. The coach drives this and those who don’t have it are moved on to cruise elsewhere. Hunger as well as apathy is contagious and this group shows that.

This concept that we “fluked” a Premiership in 2018 can get f’ed. That just can’t happen. We won two grind it out finals, plus one absolute humiliation of a walkover. We got ourselves in that position by winning a shitload of games and finishing top two.

Agree 100% that 2018 wasn't a fluke. You don't fluke winning every game in Victoria, including against fellow top 4 sides Collingwood (twice!) and Hawthorn. You don't fluke steamrolling Richmond. You don't fluke keeping your Prelim opponent goalless for a half, even if it was Melbourne.

But we haven't had a great record against top 4 sides since. I've banged on and banged on about that for last few years, and every time the excuses would come thick and fast "but but but hub, but but but fewer days break but but but it won't matter in the finals because ... reasons". I gave up banging on about it because my head was denting the brick wall, but at least I don't think there will be too many excuses any more (for a total lack of effort anyway, I expect injuries to be used as an excuse with some justification. Not 97 points worth of justification, but still. It's pretty damning that we all wrote this game off before bouncedown. That's one thing, but it seems the playing group did too. Inexcusable).

What was our record vs Collingwood in Melbourne before 2018? What was our injury situation like in the Grand Final? The group didn't roll over in either game. Even after Nic Nat went down in the first one. Even after falling 5 goals behind in the second. 2021 West Coast would have brought their own lube.

Change in game style or just the right mindset?

We were up 9 in contested possession at 1/4 time yesterday then got belted in the second quarter (down 20 for the quarter)

Against Port we smashed one of the best contested ball teams in the comp and set up a 52 point lead by the half

I suspect you could go through plenty of our wins and find we did well in contested possession

For whatever reason we are either unable or unwilling to replicate that 2018 finals intensity over a sustained period, whether that’s in game or over the course a full season

For me that’s the frustrating part - our best footy is as good as anyone in the comp. However, the gap between our best and worst is arguably the biggest in the comp

Faaaaark me there is a lot of spoilt supporters among us bunch. I was upset as much as everyone else about not only yesterday's game but also against the saints. I believe our leaders need to have a hard look at themselves on what they are producing away from home.

But to say Simmo needs to be sacked. For crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

I think the management of the club need.to.give Simmo the support he needs in the right assistant coaches. Having Hickmott as the midfield coach to me is the wrong move.
Does Simmo need to change a few things? Yes he does.
Every successful Senior coach has gone through trials and tribulations.
Look at Clarko, Thompson and Hardwick over the years.
Winning games of footy and a flag is hard and i don't think we appreciate this as much as we should.

When was the last time the blow torch was properly applied to the Eagles?

I don’t mean some Vic journos sensing an easy opportunity to kick the boots in about a hub, or some uninformed take about “can’t win in Melbourne”.

I mean widespread sentiment and thorough local coverage (not Kane Cornes clickbait). Post Nic Nat injury then Gaff suspension in 2018?

During Simpson’s tenure that week or so after Gaff belted Brayshaw was the only time I can remember the club being genuinely baked in the media and even then it was more about perceived cultural (arrogance) issues rather than onfield performance

Maybe after 2017, leading into the 2018 season there were questions about where the club was heading and whether Simpson was the right person going forward. But it wasn’t particularly fierce

And to be fair, whilst there have been some bad losses along the journey, there hasn’t really sustained strings of defeats and since rounds 4-11 of 2014 where we won just 1 of 8, we’ve only ever lost 3 games in a row 3 times. Couple that with the rarity of a complete drubbing like yesterday and there’s been little reason for the blowtorch to be applied

It can and should come after yesterday’s (lack of) effort

Thing is, if Simpson got sacked, who would replace him?

I just cannot see a viable alternative candidate atm on the coaching market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back